[REMOVE ADS]

"Ode To Billie Joe"- the Supremes, But Really Just Diana

As pointed out in another thread, "Ode To Billie Joe" was the song that kept "Reflections" out of the top spot. Of course Diana did a solo version of her own on the Reflections album. Anyone a fan of it?

Personally I think it's not bad if I don't think too deeply about it. It's listenable. I've stated many times here [[and will continue to do it many more times) my opinion that Diana's interpretation skills are among the best in the business. This, however, is not one of those examples. The lyrical content of this song is too dark for the highness of her voice. This is the way the song should be sung if the lyrics were about how Billie Joe McCallister went off to Tallahatchie University or something like that, not committing suicide. Diana actually has a really nice lower register that was sadly under utilized in comparison to her upper register. "Reflections" is actually a good example of it. Why she was encouraged to forego this in favor of that lightness for such a heavy song boggles my mind. To me it just proved the wrong fit.

This wasn't the first solo Diana had on an album, but it probably was included to coincide with the new billing. I'm guessing a Diana Ross and the Supremes album with a song being led by any other Supreme would've been weird. However, I definitely think this is one of the few times where a Diana lead was much more suited to Mary. She may have shined on this one.

Thoughts?

When I first saw the song included in the album line-up, part of me thought it might be a Mary lead. I could see her doing a good job on it as her voice's tone is closer to that of Bobbie Gentry. But I don't have a problem with Diana's lead or the key that she sings it in. To take it any lower wouldn't have worked, in my opinion.
    Last edited by reese; 02-17-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Martha & The Vandellas also did a version that was just recently released.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Martha & The Vandellas also did a version that was just recently released.
    I actually would have liked it if they didn't add background vocals to their version. I would have preferred Martha alone.

OTBJ was sui generis and really no one other than Bobbie Gentry will ever sing it as evocatively, nor will the track ever be equaled.

I have several dozen versions of this song, and Diana's version ranks as one of the best; Tina Turner's rendition and Tammy Wynette's, for instance, have no emotional credibility. [[They could be singing about poor Billie heading off to college!)

However, I must admit that The Fifth Dimension's live version comes closest to having the haunting feel of the original.

Here it is, if you've not heard it before, or recently:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ifth+Dimension

Mary would be able to give a good delivery of the song today. However having Diana do in the 60's was the right choice.

Wasn't my favorite but it grew on me....I would have preferred another track....but it was ok

One a road trip in Maui 30 years ago, the was the track my 5 and 7 year olds thought was a good one

I think Diana does an excellent job with the Ross voice kept upfront and centre. Has always been one of my favourites from her Supreme years.
    The Rodgers and Hart album proved Diana was more than capable when given more adult oriented material to perform.. Billie Joe just confirmed it.
    The Reflections album marks a real transition in her voice.

i think the song is arranged too high. Imagine if she was singing in her lower range - the darkness that would have added to the song. i think that would have made it much more powerful of an interpretation

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think Diana does an excellent job with the Ross voice kept upfront and centre. Has always been one of my favourites from her Supreme years.
    The Rodgers and Hart album proved Diana was more than capable when given more adult oriented material to perform.. Billie Joe just confirmed it.
    The Reflections album marks a real transition in her voice.
    interesting point about the Reflections lp - would love to hear more of your thoughts on it

IMO it really feels like an unfinished album. like motown was panicking after HDH left and Deke and a few others dusted off some unfinished HDH tracks to fill out the lp. I find some of diana's vocals to be too laid back. maybe like they're more a demo rather than her final full performance

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I actually would have liked it if they didn't add background vocals to their version. I would have preferred Martha alone.
    It´s a "fake" too, it´s a Martha Reeves & The Andantes thing, no Vandellas on the record. So it´s a Martha solo

I love side one of the Reflections LP....I'm Gonna Make It and I Can't Make it Alone are 2 of my fav DRATS cuts....the 2nd side was a let down for me...What The World, Up Up and Away and Misery get skipped....Then, Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things and Ode are fine by me

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I love side one of the Reflections LP....I'm Gonna Make It and I Can't Make it Alone are 2 of my fav DRATS cuts....the 2nd side was a let down for me...What The World, Up Up and Away and Misery get skipped....Then, Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things and Ode are fine by me
    I think "I´m gonna make it" it´s a real DRATS thing, sounds amazing, may favorite is "I´ll set you free" from Love child, it shows how wonderful DRATS sound togehter !

Ben Ross--same here. The 5th's version of Ode is by far my favorite. I thought it was great that they broke the song into 5 mini solos. It totally works. You all should check it out

She delivered a fine vocal but I didn't like the production at all. But I felt Mary or Gladys could've handled it better. Well maybe Mary. Auntie Gladys would've taken it to church lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As pointed out in another thread, "Ode To Billie Joe" was the song that kept "Reflections" out of the top spot. Of course Diana did a solo version of her own on the Reflections album. Anyone a fan of it?

Personally I think it's not bad if I don't think too deeply about it. It's listenable. I've stated many times here [[and will continue to do it many more times) my opinion that Diana's interpretation skills are among the best in the business. This, however, is not one of those examples. The lyrical content of this song is too dark for the highness of her voice. This is the way the song should be sung if the lyrics were about how Billie Joe McCallister went off to Tallahatchie University or something like that, not committing suicide. Diana actually has a really nice lower register that was sadly under utilized in comparison to her upper register. "Reflections" is actually a good example of it. Why she was encouraged to forego this in favor of that lightness for such a heavy song boggles my mind. To me it just proved the wrong fit.

This wasn't the first solo Diana had on an album, but it probably was included to coincide with the new billing. I'm guessing a Diana Ross and the Supremes album with a song being led by any other Supreme would've been weird. However, I definitely think this is one of the few times where a Diana lead was much more suited to Mary. She may have shined on this one.

Thoughts?

That should have been a super easy song for her to record. All she had to do is listen to and sing along with Bobbi Gentry's original version. Had that not existed, they probably would have had to spend 300 hours editing Diane's "version"! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    interesting point about the Reflections lp - would love to hear more of your thoughts on it

IMO it really feels like an unfinished album. like motown was panicking after HDH left and Deke and a few others dusted off some unfinished HDH tracks to fill out the lp. I find some of diana's vocals to be too laid back. maybe like they're more a demo rather than her final full performance
    For me the album is a bit of a mixed bag, but enjoyable all the same.
    The point i was making was that for me the album marked a progression in Diana's voice. Her vocals are a little more rounded and mature sounding. She incorporates that breathy vocal style we are all familiar with. I think this new sound is particularly evident on "Ode To Billie Joe".
    Favourite songs on the album are "Billie Joe" and Diana's surprisingly robust version of "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things". "What The World Needs Now" should undoubtedly have been replaced...........With anything lol.

Yeah her version of "What the World Needs Now" left a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It's just so weak. It sounds like she's filing her nails while singing it lol.
    In contrast, her "Special Season" album contains a wonderfully rousing vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I can't believe that Motown was thinking of making it a single, and backed with YOUR KISS OF FIRE no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    For me the album is a bit of a mixed bag, but enjoyable all the same.
    The point i was making was that for me the album marked a progression in Diana's voice. Her vocals are a little more rounded and mature sounding. She incorporates that breathy vocal style we are all familiar with. I think this new sound is particularly evident on "Ode To Billie Joe".
    Favourite songs on the album are "Billie Joe" and Diana's surprisingly robust version of "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things". "What The World Needs Now" should undoubtedly have been replaced...........With anything lol.
    agree with your point about this lp being a mixed bag. interesting to speculate what HDH might have done had they been around to complete it

I've stated a few times that it appears they're almost going for a "tribute to the sounds of CA - sunshine pop from LA and psychedelic soul SFO" Some of the key bands responsible for Sunshine Pop were the Beach Boys, 5th Dimension, mamas and papas.

So you get the odd and out of the box songs like Reflections, I'm gonna make it, Bah bah bah and Forever. then the pop of In and out, up up and away, then. No idea of course if that was really what they were doing or not. or if they had ideas on how to complete tunes that were unfinished and others stepped in to finish.

I haven't really been a fan of In and Out or the other "sunshine pop" tunes listed with the album. But after reading about some of these, it did start to help provide some context for the album. again assuming that was really what was influencing them and guiding the song development

I think What the World needs ..sounds like fun thru that was never finished....
    I would have preferred The Happening here in its place.
    up and Away.....disapointing production

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I can't believe that Motown was thinking of making it a single, and backed with YOUR KISS OF FIRE no less.
    Yeah that would've been a HORRIBLE decision.