[REMOVE ADS]

Post-Curtis Impressions and Their Public

Curtis left the Impressions literally months before I began following music. In the first months of his solo career I most likely thought he was always a solo act ... learned better soon!! I'm wondering what more committed at-the-time fans thought of the Impressions' post-Curtis work; not chart success, which anyone can find on that 'web' thing, but rather on-the-street opinions about Impressions 'solo' work?

One of the greatest groups of the sixties,but when curtis left they were not the same classic group,they tried different leads but not much.

This is one of their bigger hits without Curtis Mayfield. From 1974:

they had a couple of really good records after Curtis left, the above "Finally Got Myself Together" and "Same Thing It TooK" .

Never cared much for either of these songs.

For me, The Impressions were not the same without Curtis Mayfield and I didn't care for any of the songs they did after he left the group.

Interesting comments; I'm a 'casual fan' of the post-Curtis lps, though those lps certainly lack star power.

I continued to collect all the post Curtis Impressions output but I have to say that pleasing as they were, they generally fell short or were lacking consistency. I think overall, there was a lack of really strong compositions coupled with underwhelming production, and it paled somewhat in comparison with the huge amount of incredibly strong competition in those years. I still have great respect for Fred and Sam and their contributions over the years. They are very gifted vocalists in their own right.

The UK charted "First Impressions" at number 16 in 1975. That was actually a great track and probably a surprise hit for all concerned.

I probably play "If It's In You To Do Wrong" more than any other Impressions tune, with or without Curtis.