[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Diana'79 show

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    The funny “Marvin Gaye, eat your heart out,” line at the end of the song really surprised me when this originally aired. Hagman had to have known the two duetted on the song.

A little trivia: When this special was repeated in April of 1984, just two weeks after Marvin Gaye’s death, CBS execs were savvy enough to delete the line from the broadcast.
    I thought it was an odd choice for rebroadcast as it was three years old by then. But it was still nice to see it again.

When the special originally aired in 1981, I didn't have a vcr. But I did have an 8-track tape record deck on my stereo, so I recorded it on that. I played it so much that I knew it word for word. So when the Marvin Gaye line was cut on the rebroadcast, I was a bit thrown at first. But yes, it was savvy that CBS or Diana decided to cut it out. The line was harmless of course, but the timing was totally off. When I finally bought a bootleg vhs of the show, I could tell that it was taken from the 1984 rebroadcast as the Marvin reference was missing.

Maybe Diana was a fan of J.R Wasn't she rumored for years to have a role in Dallas? I think, in the end, Barbara Carrera played the part Diana was supposed to play.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    How wonderful! What a great find. The entrance of a lifetime. And even in Arizona the audience is over the moon.
    She nails and OWNS Home from the Wiz. Stunning IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Maybe Diana was a fan of J.R Wasn't she rumored for years to have a role in Dallas? I think, in the end, Barbara Carrera played the part Diana was supposed to play.
    There were stories in the tabloids that Diana was going to be a female villain on DALLAS but it never happened.

I'm only now liking this vocal of this song by Diana. She should have recorded it as a solo.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-04-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I thought it was an odd choice for rebroadcast as it was three years old by then. But it was still nice to see it again.

When the special originally aired in 1981, I didn't have a vcr. But I did have an 8-track tape record deck on my stereo, so I recorded it on that. I played it so much that I knew it word for word. So when the Marvin Gaye line was cut on the rebroadcast, I was a bit thrown at first. But yes, it was savvy that CBS or Diana decided to cut it out. The line was harmless of course, but the timing was totally off. When I finally bought a bootleg vhs of the show, I could tell that it was taken from the 1984 rebroadcast as the Marvin reference was missing.
    I believe that beyond the fact this was a truly entertaining television special, the rebroadcast was most likely prompted by Michael Jackson mania. Michael was still everywhere in entertainment media in 1984 with the success of Thriller. Also, the Victory tour had just been announced and was being promoted as the event of the summer...

Diana and Michael were crowned by Ebony magazine “The king and Queen of entertainment”. Diana was at the height of her career after Endless Love” and by the time it aired the second time, Michael was the biggest star on the planet. I suspect the second airing was because of the Michael Jackson connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I'v read, more than once, that she opened the second part with "Fool for your love" in 1982. I've never been able to learn if this was a fan's fantasy or a fact.

it’s a fact - she opened the second half in St Louis after Silk Electric cane out. She also did muscles and so close.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    She nails and OWNS Home from the Wiz. Stunning IMO.
    She does, Ms. Roberta, and this coming from a Stephanie Mills fan who still clearly remembers Mills in a single spotlight, up in one, closing 'The Wiz' with her rendition of 'Home'. I hope you are well and holding up in our stressful times.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    seems like most of the D&M duet album was originals. I count 4 covers - Don't know, you are everything, pledging my love and stop look listen. Interesting that motown didn't exactly follow the old formula of doing nothing but covers.

I think the real problem with this album is Diana just comes across lackluster. like she's tired and bored with the whole thing
    I find Diana's vocals on the album laid back on as opposed to lacklustre."You Are Everything" and "Stop Look Listen" imo are among the best vocals of her career.
    She sounds sexy on the funky "Love Twins",and her voice on "Just Say" sounds emotional and sincere. "Don't Knock My Love" being imo her weakest performance on the set. I consider Diana & Marvin one of the greatest duet albums of all time.

oh i don't think every song is a dud. You Are Everything is wonderful - especially when she says You in "today i saw somebody that looked just like YOU" the breathy way she emphasizes it is chilling.

I guess the better way to describe the album is uneven. IMO there are some amazing parts and then some not. Marvin is just off doing his own thing and sometimes seems to be trying to outsing her. And Diana is laid back, sometimes too much so that it comes off as disinterested.

oh i don't think every song is a dud. You Are Everything is wonderful - especially when she says You in "today i saw somebody that looked just like YOU" the breathy way she emphasizes it is chilling.

I guess the better way to describe the album is uneven. IMO there are some amazing parts and then some not. Marvin is just off doing his own thing and sometimes seems to be trying to outsing her. And Diana is laid back, sometimes too much so that it comes off as disinterested.
    Talking of cover versions, it's interesting that Diana is one of those very rare singers who can take a cover and make it her own. In addition to "You Are Everything" being a huge hit in the UK, i think she could have scored big if "Close To You" and "Won't Last A Day" had been released as singles. For me they are the ultimate versions.
    In fact, i think most of the songs she covered in the 70's were all of a very high standard. .
    I can't say the same for the 80's....alas.

^one of my fav and IMO most underrated covers she did was Carry On from the Everyday is a New Day album. it's a sensational track and she's incredible on it. I think it should have been pushed heavily and, frankly, i think she should ditch Survive for this. while she's very good at singing I Will Survive, that song is just SOOOOOO instantly identified with Gloria Gaynor.

i think the best cover of her career is I'm Gonna Make You Love Me. let's face it - just a perfect duet. every element is working 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    ..."Don't Knock My Love" being imo her weakest performance on the set...
    In J. Randy's last book on Diana, the discography mentions that on the session tape for this recording, you can hear Diana say "This is the song that I hate." Myself, I like it but I do think her vocal sounds rather limp on it.

As far as the rest of the album goes, I have to say it is one of my favorites. This album was recorded during what is probably one of my favorite time periods of Diana vocals and I think her interpretations are great. Her solo verse of PLEDGING MY LOVE, for one.

In J. Randy's last book on Diana, the discography mentions that on the session tape for this recording, you can hear Diana say "This is the song that I hate." Myself, I like it but I do think her vocal sounds rather limp on it.

As far as the rest of the album goes, I have to say it is one of my favorites. This album was recorded during what is probably one of my favorite time periods of Diana vocals and I think her interpretations are great. Her solo verse of PLEDGING MY LOVE, for one.
    Yes, i remember reading that. As regards Diana's vocals, this is also my favourite time period. I think Diana and Marvin's voice really compliment each other. I have read critiques of the album where it's been mentioned that D & M sing against each other rather than sing together which i find strange. On songs such as "Love Twins" and "Just Say" i think they share a wonderful vocal intimacy. It's a huge shame they never recorded more songs together.

It's always interesting to hear differing views; we all have our favorites!

^one of my fav and IMO most underrated covers she did was Carry On from the Everyday is a New Day album. it's a sensational track and she's incredible on it. I think it should have been pushed heavily and, frankly, i think she should ditch Survive for this. while she's very good at singing I Will Survive, that song is just SOOOOOO instantly identified with Gloria Gaynor.

i think the best cover of her career is I'm Gonna Make You Love Me. let's face it - just a perfect duet. every element is working 100%
    I totally agree about the track Carry On. Definitely a missed opportunity with that track.

CARRY ON was one of my favorite songs from that album. I didn't even know it was a remake until much later. I ,too was hoping that it would replace I WILL SURVIVE in her act but no such luck. She never toured with the EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY album and aside from her occasionally doing HE LIVES IN YOU, I don't think she ever did any of its material live.

"Not Over You Yet" reached top 10 in the UK so she could easily include it her upcoming tour.
    The thing about "I Will Survive" is that the world and his wife are familiar with the song. It's an instant crowd pleaser. As much as i prefer "Carry On" and regardless of it's hit potential, i don't think it would ever have reached that status.
    Perhaps if the arrangement to "Survive" were updated a 'tad it might help. I would definitely drop the "i will, you will, we will" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    "Not Over You Yet" reached top 10 in the UK so she could easily include it her upcoming tour.
    The thing about "I Will Survive" is that the world and his wife are familiar with the song. It's an instant crowd pleaser. As much as i prefer "Carry On" and regardless of it's hit potential, i don't think it would ever have reached that status.
    Perhaps if the arrangement to "Survive" were updated a 'tad it might help. I would definitely drop the "i will, you will, we will" lol.
    I guess as a fan, I would much rather her sing one of her many other hits than IWS. I'm not sure many fans are asking for her to sing IWS, but its more of a personal song for her.

CARRY ON was one of my favorite songs from that album. I didn't even know it was a remake until much later. I ,too was hoping that it would replace I WILL SURVIVE in her act but no such luck. She never toured with the EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY album and aside from her occasionally doing HE LIVES IN YOU, I don't think she ever did any of its material live.
    "Carry On" should have definitely been released - at least to the Dance/Club markets. I actually prefer this "studio" version featured in the movie over the remix we got on the CD.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I wonder if the closing song was Love Hangover? Could this “critic” have mistaken the lyric “I don’t want to get over” for “I don’t want to grow older”? The arrangement in 79 had the background singers end the song with “I don’t want to get, I don’t want to get over”. I wonder what song “I believe in fairytales” could be? As far as the dancers were concerned, they weren’t on a Michael or Janet Jackson level but they were good for that time. They featured some of the earliest voguing I’ve seen.
    Love Hangover was a major hit! It went to #1. What kind of rock/pop reviewer wouldn't be able to identify it? I mean, everybody knew this song - it got a lot of airplay. I should think that, in particular, someone in the industry would be able to easily identify it.

No?

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    "Carry On" should have definitely been released - at least to the Dance/Club markets. I actually prefer this "studio" version featured in the movie over the remix we got on the CD.
    agreed. it's clear that by the release of this album, Motown US was completely through with her, and she with them.

Given that Until We Meet Again hit #2 on the US dance chart, it's surprising there wasn't any sort of follow up.

It's not just Motown. After a great come back with her FBTP and Ultimate albums, TMH and EDAND went nowhere in Europe or Japan.

TMH did rather well in the UK. the album went to #10 and IWS went to number 14. The title track only just scrapped into top 40, as did Gone.

Not Over You Yet when top 10 in UK. but the album didn't do much

in Japan, TMH album when top 40 but none of the singles charted.

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    I would most definitely agree with you, not only was it a good dance tune but had a strong meaning on being a survivor. Diana was fierce on this tune.

TMH did rather well in the UK. the album went to #10 and IWS went to number 14. The title track only just scrapped into top 40, as did Gone.

Not Over You Yet when top 10 in UK. but the album didn't do much

in Japan, TMH album when top 40 but none of the singles charted.
    All those may have reached the top 10 or 40, they didn't have length.
    After her platinum and multi platinum albums, I'm sure they excepted more.

yeah i don't know if people felt TMH fully captured what was going on with music at the time. personally i think the sound and style of Everyday is stronger and more inline with popular music at the time, although the lyric is often quite morose.