[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diana'79 show

Diana'79 show

DIANA ROSS
    Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo

The entrance was spectacular, the packaging was spotty and her famed songs of the 1960's with the Supremes were the main delight as Ross made Buffalo the fifth stop on her current tour April 13.
    More than 12.000 welcomed one of the features of Harvey & Corky's production season, but found themselves dazzled more by the performer than by all the glitter and five costume changes, which were less dazzling than promised.
    Ross overcame a laser light show that sputtered, 2 backdrop which needed a good cleaning and a monitor which threatened to blast listeners in the first 10 rows from their seats. Finally, Ross had the sound turned down—to noticeable sighs of relief. She entered to gasps. A film of her descending a long white staircase was projected on a rear screen while she sang “Ain't No Mountain High Enough.” Without missing a beat, the visual effect switched to Diana in person as she stepped through the screen and descended a real staircase in a stunning costume of silver sequins and white fur.

“How'd you like that opening—was it okay?” she kidded “I wanted it simple and intimate with polaroids and an old gown. They told me it would snow here.”

Diana, backed by a large orchestra, sang 22 selections in a 90-minute performance, but one of the best features came when she had the house lights go up and stepped into the audience for her “favorite part of the show “ She wound her microphone cord through those seated near the stage, sang “Reach Out And Touch” and found a few melodic Buffalo voices.
    “Listen to what you're saying,” she implored the swaying sing along audience “Reach out and touch somebody's hand—make this world a better place, if you can” She had virtually the entire audience swinging together, hands joined.
    When she began belting out her most recognizable hits —'"Baby Love.” “Stop in The Name Of Lave” and “I Hear A Symphony,” the big crowd reared in delight as screen projections Showed the original Supremes.
    There were eight choreographed dancers, including her brother. But they seemed more exuberant than effective And there were the Eddie Kendrick Singers, who were excellent in the backdrop. But the show belong to Diana and she had no difficulty wining the audience.
    After the‘60s review, she went into her routine from “Lady Sings The Blues” offering “Good Morning Heartache.” "Them There Eyes” and “My Man". Next came “The Wiz" with Diana singing “When I Think Of Home".
    Another minor costume change brought her back for “Mahogany” and extended applause. Closing with “I Believe in Fairy tales" and a lively dance number -"I Don't Want To Grow Older” - the star exited on the shoulders of her dancers to standing accolades. They were richly deserved. JIM BAKER - Billboard 5.5.1979
    I wonder what this "I Don't Want To Grow Older” could be ?
    Overall, I agree that the dancers were not very good, as it was noticed on another critic, and that the 78/79 costumes were not her best.

For this tour, it seems, she didn't close with "Mahogany/Mountain high enough"
    Last edited by Albator; 02-16-2020 at 04:26 AM.

I wonder if the closing song was Love Hangover? Could this “critic” have mistaken the lyric “I don’t want to get over” for “I don’t want to grow older”? The arrangement in 79 had the background singers end the song with “I don’t want to get, I don’t want to get over”. I wonder what song “I believe in fairytales” could be? As far as the dancers were concerned, they weren’t on a Michael or Janet Jackson level but they were good for that time. They featured some of the earliest voguing I’ve seen.

The song about Fairytales is probably "You're the one" from the 78 album.

About the dancers, I have found this :

several awful dancer who were klutzes and therefore stood out where there should have been group precision [[there were two groups of dancer and the second team of five were really super, showing how poor the first four were).Billboard 30/9/1978
    The show ended with four of the male dancers, who grinned frantically during all their numbers as if they were desperate Miss America contestants, carrying Diana like an offering back into the screen, up the stair to heaven. Village Voice - 16 octobre 1978
    I don't think it had to do with the time. In fact, Minnelli, Cher, had all great dancers.
    It's probably that Diana didn't care at all, she had her brother on her show, and maybe it was a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I wonder if the closing song was Love Hangover? Could this “critic” have mistaken the lyric “I don’t want to get over” for “I don’t want to grow older”? The arrangement in 79 had the background singers end the song with “I don’t want to get, I don’t want to get over”. I wonder what song “I believe in fairytales” could be? As far as the dancers were concerned, they weren’t on a Michael or Janet Jackson level but they were good for that time. They featured some of the earliest voguing I’ve seen.
    This is more than likely the case. And as Albator guessed below, "I believe in fairytales" was "You Were The One."

I saw the show at Boston Garden on 4/11/79. The set list was:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Too Shy to Say

Gettin' Ready for Love

Touch Me in the Morning

I Wanna Be Bad

Lovin', Livin', & Givin' / Love Hangover

Reach Out and Touch

Supremes Medley:
    Baby Love /Stop! In The Name of Love / You Can't Hurry Love / Reflections / My World is Empty Without You / I Hear a Symphony

Remember Me

Lady Sings the Blues:
    Lady Sings the Blues / T'Ain't Nobody's Bizness / I Cried for You / Good Morning Heartache / Them There Eyes / My Man

Theme From Mahogany

Soon As I Get Home / Home

You Were the One / Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[reprise)

Love Hangover [[reprise)

Unlike on the Caesars Palace HBO special, the movie screen on tour was stationary. Most of the time the orchestra and singers weren't visible. During I WANNA BE BAD, the end panels revolved and dancers popped out. During REACH OUT AND TOUCH, the screen parted to show the Eddie Kendrix Singers and if I recall correctly, there were more than four of them. The screen also parted during the LADY SINGS THE BLUES segment to reveal a horn player taking a solo.

Another memory: I had read in RIGHT ON! magazine that the new show involved film. So imagine my surprise when I looked down from my balcony seat and saw the film unspooled all around the projectionist area. I thought the show was going to be cancelled. But thank goodness, they fixed the problem.
    Last edited by reese; 02-16-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Would have loved to hear “Soon as I get home/ Home”.

I would have loved to have seen this tour.
    Thx for posting the set list.sounds like a great show

it's interesting that the songs listed here are the tour prior to The Boss one which kicked off in either late May or June. She was still doing the set with the Ross78 and Wiz tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's interesting that the songs listed here are the tour prior to The Boss one which kicked off in either late May or June. She was still doing the set with the Ross78 and Wiz tracks.
    It seems like she revamped the show a couple of times. When it originally opened in 1978, she had the big pink shoe from which she sang TO LOVE AGAIN. She was also doing a bunch of songs from THE WIZ and playing the various characters.

By the time she took it on tour in 1979, she had dropped the big pink show and much of THE WIZ segment. There is also at least one bootleg where she sang ALL NIGHT LOVER as well. And of course, when THE BOSS was released, the show was revamped yet again to include five of its tracks.

She must have really loved the last incarnation. When she came around in 1980, even though the "diana" album was hot, she was still doing the same set list with a bunch of numbers from THE BOSS, only adding UPSIDE DOWN and I'M COMING OUT from the current album.
    Last edited by reese; 02-16-2020 at 07:12 PM.

In July 1978, she was still doing "An evening with" while in Japan.
    Does it mean that she waited 78 to include "baby it's me" songs in her act? This is strange but very possible since in 1985, with her Eaten Alive album in stores, she was still touring with Swept Away set list in Europe.

From what I understand, that "new show" was premiered in LA, September 78, with 17 songs.
    "Gettin Ready For Love.", "Touch Me In The Morning.", "Ready For Love"."I wanna be bad".- "Remember Me.""All Night Lover".- "Too Shy To Say"- and "Love Hangover" - "To Love Again." - "Mahogany theme"-"You're the One/Mountain" - complete Wiz medley "Soon As I Get Home.", "Be A Lion." "Ease On Down The Road","Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News," "Brand New Day","Believe In Yourself" and "Home." - "reach out".

In October, it was the same show at Radio City Music Hall, with the same "Wiz medley".

In 79, she abandoned the Wiz Medley for a shorter one. I wonder, why she kept "wanna be bad" all these years.
    The HBO special is taped early in 1980, I guess. There are also footage of a performance in Atlantic city, where she still wear her white 78'outfit, but with WDFFIL hairstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    In July 1978, she was still doing "An evening with" while in Japan.
    Does it mean that she waited 78 to include "baby it's me" songs in her act? This is strange but very possible since in 1985, with her Eaten Alive album in stores, she was still touring with Swept Away set list in Europe.

From what I understand, that "new show" was premiered in LA, September 78, with 17 songs.
    "Gettin Ready For Love.", "Touch Me In The Morning.", "Ready For Love"."I wanna be bad".- "Remember Me.""All Night Lover".- "Too Shy To Say"- and "Love Hangover" - "To Love Again." - "Mahogany theme"-"You're the One/Mountain" - complete Wiz medley "Soon As I Get Home.", "Be A Lion." "Ease On Down The Road","Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News," "Brand New Day","Believe In Yourself" and "Home." - "reach out".

In October, it was the same show at Radio City Music Hall, with the same "Wiz medley".

In 79, she abandoned the Wiz Medley for a shorter one. I wonder, why she kept "wanna be bad" all these years.
    The HBO special is taped early in 1980, I guess. There are also footage of a performance in Atlantic city, where she still wear her white 78'outfit, but with WDFFIL hairstyle.
    She also brought AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS back to England to the London Palladium in early 1978. From what I've read, it was the same show except she added a press conference segment. I believe she brought the act back to Caesars Palace in Las Vegas around the same time. More than likely, she didn't have time to come up with and/or perfect a completely new act but had some obligations to keep.

Re I WANNA BE BAD, I don't think it was kept all that long, 1978 and 1979. By the time she hit my area again in 1980, the set list was basically the same as the HBO special but the local review mentioned no dancers and hence, no I WANNA BE BAD.

The HBO special was recorded in September of 1979. Note that she mentions IT'S MY HOUSE as "my latest song." It first aired in early 1980.

The footage you've seen of Diana in white in Atlantic City might be from the 20/20 profile done on her in 1981.
    Last edited by reese; 02-17-2020 at 11:39 AM.

In the seventies she adopted many look, she did 3 movies, 2 tv specials, solo acts rooted in the Broadway or Hollywood tradition, .
    Than in the eighties she went for a simpler presentation, in the round, and suddenly all was frozen. The concert I saw in 1983 is the same I saw in 2007. I push a little hard, bit basically, she opened with "Coming out", ended with "Mahogany/Mountain". It could have been "Take me higher"/I will survive". In between, she promoted the current album and the same classics. Even her gowns were the same from 84 to 95.

This is the Diana I have known and love, but I wonder how a US or older fan may have felt, witnessing her evolution from the seventies to the eighties.

In the seventies she adopted many look, she did 3 movies, 2 tv specials, solo acts rooted in the Broadway or Hollywood tradition, .
    Than in the eighties she went for a simpler presentation, in the round, and suddenly all was frozen. The concert I saw in 1983 is the same I saw in 2007. I push a little hard, bit basically, she opened with "Coming out", ended with "Mahogany/Mountain". It could have been "Take me higher"/I will survive". In between, she promoted the current album and the same classics. Even her gowns were the same from 84 to 95.

This is the Diana I have known and love, but I wonder how a US or older fan may have felt, witnessing her evolution from the seventies to the eighties.
    For me, watching the evolution from the 70s to 80s was almost like watching a different performer. Starting with THE BOSS, there was a renewed, youthful, and sexier image with the more contemporary material and different look. I loved the shows that I saw in-the-round the 80s just as much as the ones that I saw in the 70s. But I don't think she has really reinvented herself since then and she probably doesn't feel the need. She still pulls in crowds to nice venues and I don't ever hear of her shows being cancelled due to lack of interest.

By the early 90s, at least in the US, she started appearing in theaters again as opposed to the huge arenas. I enjoyed those shows as well. There was some similarity but I really didn't see the concerts as frozen until maybe the last decade or so, beginning with the GREATEST HITS tour. The set list hasn't varied much since then but it doesn't bother me.
    Last edited by reese; 02-17-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Glad she dropped I Wanna Be Badwith all her hits she doesn't need filler.

In the 80s Diana became a bona fide rockstar. She performed in arenas and ditched the show tunes. She had so many hits by this time.

That's funny that some albums were intensely promoted, while others were left out.
    The Boss: "The boss, It's my House, I ain't been like, no one get the prize, one for all"
    Swept away: "swept away, touch by touch, rescue me, forever young, telephone, missing you"
    WO: "WO, what can one person do, paradise, Yes we can"
    FBTP: " WYTMTYLM, FBTP, Change of heart, Shining moment, blame it on the sun, waiting in the wings, you'r gonna love it"

As crazy as it seems, form diana, she never did other than "coming out and Upside down"
    From WDFFIL, mirror, wdffil and Endless love, if we consider it's from the album.
    From Silk, muscles and maybe FFYL?????
    From Ross, Let's go up
    From Eaten Alive, Eaten alive on some occasion in Europe and ???? A book mentioned "more and more"
    From RHR&B, nothing during the 87 tour. Latter Dirty Look and, I'v heard "there goes my baby" in Paris, 1989.

Albator - it seems like by the mid 70s, she was doing a better job of promoting the entire album. Singing more than just the 1 or 2 single releases.

Ross, Baby it's me, Wiz, The boss - all had between a somewhat and very good representation in her shows. maybe it's not coincidence that the format of the show was basically the same and then they would "snap on or snap off" new songs or content like legos. that certainly was a more economical approach

Good point about diana 80 not having much inclusion in shows. she did a video in UK for My Old Piano - wonder if that song ever appeared in shows in Europe? seems like the overall lp sort of got lost as she had a fast series of hits - Upside, Coming, Endless, It's my turn. and then she left motown and was eager to promote her new stuff.

Anyone see one of her shows from late 81 or early 82? right after signing with RCA?

Anyone see one of her shows from late 81 or early 82? right after signing with RCA?
    After she signed with RCA, I didn't see her again until August 1982, in the round.

Set list:

OVERTURE

AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH

I'M COMING OUT

THE BOSS

TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING

IT'S MY HOUSE / NO ONE GETS THE PRIZE

REACH OUT AND TOUCH

SUPREMES MEDLEY:
    REFLECTIONS/BABY LOVE/STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE / LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART

REMEMBER ME

LADY SINGS THE BLUES:
    LADY SINGS THE BLUES / T'AIN'T NOBODY'S BIZNESS IF I DO / I CRIED FOR YOU / MY MAN

MIRROR, MIRROR

Intermission

YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON
    UPSIDE DOWN
    WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE

WORK THAT BODY

THEME FROM MAHOGANY / AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH

ENDLESS LOVE

After SILK ELECTRIC, she came back to my area in March 1983. I wasn't able to go but the review made it sound like the show was basically the same as what I saw the previous August. I didn't see her again until August 1983 and the show was similar but with some songs like RIBBON IN THE SKY and BEAT IT added in.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    After she signed with RCA, I didn't see her again until August 1982, in the round.

Set list:

OVERTURE

AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH

I'M COMING OUT

THE BOSS

TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING

IT'S MY HOUSE / NO ONE GETS THE PRIZE

REACH OUT AND TOUCH

SUPREMES MEDLEY:
    REFLECTIONS/BABY LOVE/STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE / LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART

REMEMBER ME

LADY SINGS THE BLUES:
    LADY SINGS THE BLUES / T'AIN'T NOBODY'S BIZNESS IF I DO / I CRIED FOR YOU / MY MAN

MIRROR, MIRROR

Intermission

YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON
    UPSIDE DOWN
    WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE

WORK THAT BODY

THEME FROM MAHOGANY / AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH

ENDLESS LOVE

After SILK ELECTRIC, she came back to my area in March 1983. I wasn't able to go but the review made it sound like the show was basically the same as what I saw the previous August. I didn't see her again until August 1983 and the show was similar but with some songs like RIBBON IN THE SKY and BEAT IT added in.
    This is the show I saw in 1983 I believe. I also saw her in 1982 and she opened with “Its my turn”. And also performed “Muscles”.

I'v read, more than once, that she opened the second part with "Fool for your love" in 1982. I've never been able to learn if this was a fan's fantasy or a fact.

I had to compile this a while back. I thought I'd share here. Some of these songs were performed years after the LPs release. No way to know if it's definitive. Perhaps others have some additional memories.

DIANA ROSS: Reach Out And Touch, Ain’t No Mountain, Something’s On My Mind, I Wouldn’t Change The Man He Is

EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING: I’m Still Waiting, Come Together [[in a Beatles Medley), I Love You [[Call Me)

SURRENDER: Remember Me, Reach Out I’ll Be There

LADY SINGS THE BLUES: [[Everything)

TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING: Touch Me In The Morning, Little Girl Blue, [[All Of My Life?)

LAST TIME I SAW HIM: Last Time I Saw Him?, Sleepin’

DIANA ROSS 76: Theme From Mahogany, Love Hangover, One Love In My Lifetime, Smile

BABY IT’S ME: Getting Ready For Love, Too Shy To Say, All Night Lover [["You Got It" was rehearsed but don’t know if ever performed)

THE WIZ: Medley: Soon As I Get Home, Ease On Down The Road, You Can’t Win, Slide Some Oil, Mean Ol’ Lion, Be A Lion, No Bad News, Brand New Day, Believe In Yourself, Home

ROSS: Lovin’ Livin’ And Givin’, You Were The One, To Love Again, [[Reach Out I’ll Be There)

THE BOSS: No One Gets The Prize, I Ain’t Been Licked, All For One, The Boss, It’s My House

DIANA: Upside Down, I’m Coming Out

TO LOVE AGAIN: It’s My Turn, [[Mahogany, To Love Again, Touch Me)

WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE: Why Do Fools, Mirror Mirror, Endless Love, Work That Body

SILK ELECTRIC: Muscles, So Close, Fool For Your Love

ROSS: Let’s Go Up, [["You Do It" was rehearsed but don’t know if ever performed. Pieces Of Ice: Central Park lip sync)

SWEPT AWAY: Missing You, Touch By Touch, Rescue Me, Swept Away, Telephone, Forever Young

EATEN ALIVE: Eaten Alive, Experience, Chain Reaction, More And More

RED HOT: Dirty Looks, Tell Me Again, There Goes My Baby, It’s Hard For Me To Say

WORKIN’ OVERTIME: Workin’ Overtime, Say We Can, This House, Paradise, What Can One Person Do

FORCE BEHIND THE POWER: Change Of Heart, When You Tell Me You Love Me, Blame It On The Sun, Force Behind The Power, Waiting In The Wings, One Shining Moment, You’re Gonna Love It, If We Hold On Together [[I Heard “Battlefield” and “Heart Don’t Change My Mind” were in for a minute but can’t verify)

TAKE ME HIGHER: Take Me Higher, If You’re Not Gonna Love Me Right, Don’t Stop, Voice Of The Heart, Only Love Can Conquer All, I Thought That We Were Still In Love, I Will Survive

EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY: He Lives In You [[Not Over You Yet?)

I LOVE YOU: More Today Than Yesterday, I Love You, What About Love, The Look Of Love [[Others were performed on TV but don’t about in concert)

wow George! great list!!

now do the supremes 60s and 70s

also interesting to note some of her singles were NOT performed!

Surrender
    Sorry doesn't always
    I thought it took a little time
    your love is so good for me
    what you gave me
    my old piano*
    Cryin' my heart*
    we can never light that old flame*
    up front
    all of you
    bottom line
    gone
    until we meet again
    every day is a new day

*i realize these were US releases either after or right at the time of her departure from motown so no real surprise. I put in All of you but what about her marvin duets?

also interesting to note some of her singles were NOT performed!

Surrender
    Sorry doesn't always
    I thought it took a little time
    your love is so good for me
    what you gave me
    my old piano*
    Cryin' my heart*
    we can never light that old flame*
    up front
    all of you
    bottom line
    gone
    until we meet again
    every day is a new day

*i realize these were US releases either after or right at the time of her departure from motown so no real surprise. I put in All of you but what about her marvin duets?
    Diana and Julio performed ALL OF YOU onstage at least once. A photo was published in JET magazine.

MY MISTAKE was performed with G.C. Cameron during her 1974 Universal Ampitheatre engagement.

wonder if You're a Special Part Of Me ever was done. frankly i find it a MUCH superior to song to Mistake.

Diana went on stage with Julio at Radio City Music Hall but they didn’t perfom All Of You. The clip was projected

At Thursday's concert, Mr. Iglesias sang in several languages, with Spanish, not English, predominating. ''To All the Girls I've Loved Before,'' his recent hit with Willie Nelson, he performed with a movie of himself. And Diana Ross, who greeted the singer on stage, did not join him for their hit duet, ''All of You.'' A music video of the song was shown instead, to the crowd's audible disappointment. New York Time
    Last edited by Albator; 02-18-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Diana went on stage with Julio at Radio City Music Hall but they didn’t perfom All Of You. The clip was projected
    That may or may not be the instance that I'm thinking of. As I recall, the story I read had the two of them singing the song while reading the words off a lyric sheet.

Diana sang a truncated version of “All of you” on the Swept Away tour. Not sure if done at all the shows.

wonder if You're a Special Part Of Me ever was done. frankly i find it a MUCH superior to song to Mistake.
    I liked YOU'RE A SPECIAL PART OF ME when it was first released. It was actually amongst the first singles I ever bought. But now I think it is somewhat boring and shouldn't have been the first single.

was just reading the D&M review on the Diana Ross Project site. the author talks about how You're Special in nice but lacks a real hook. You Are Everything was a track that hit big in UK and should have also been released here. Of course Special was a motown original, so we gotta at least give them credit for a non-cover song. which was so rare with the duet projects

Albator - it seems like by the mid 70s, she was doing a better job of promoting the entire album. Singing more than just the 1 or 2 single releases.

Ross, Baby it's me, Wiz, The boss - all had between a somewhat and very good representation in her shows. maybe it's not coincidence that the format of the show was basically the same and then they would "snap on or snap off" new songs or content like legos. that certainly was a more economical approach

Good point about diana 80 not having much inclusion in shows. she did a video in UK for My Old Piano - wonder if that song ever appeared in shows in Europe? seems like the overall lp sort of got lost as she had a fast series of hits - Upside, Coming, Endless, It's my turn. and then she left motown and was eager to promote her new stuff.

She has never performed My old piano publicly other than at a private engagement in the UK in 1992, and even then she had to learn the words all over again!

I'v read, more than once, that she opened the second part with "Fool for your love" in 1982. I've never been able to learn if this was a fan's fantasy or a fact.
    Yes she did. The crowd went wild. It was truly a highlight of the show.

Fool For Your Love was a stand out in the show. There is an unreleased 12" remix. I haven't heard it but others who have, told me they loved it and it was going to be the next single that didn't happen. Also forgot to mention her singing "That's Why I Call You My Friend" and "You Are Not Alone".

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Yes she did. The crowd went wild. It was truly a highlight of the show.
    this was probably more fun live than on record

In her 83 act, like in CP, she sang "Family", "Maniac", "Beat it", "Ribbon in the sky". Those songs are mentioned for shows in Montreal [[Canada), Chicago, LA.

In 1974, in LA, she opened with "Love child" , and latter sang "my mistake"
    Last edited by Albator; 02-19-2020 at 03:51 AM.

Your Love and Best Years Of My Life from Forever Diana.

this was probably more fun live than on record
    Yes it was. I never really liked the song until I saw her do it live. Totally awesome! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Yes it was. I never really liked the song until I saw her do it live. Totally awesome! Lol
    dressed in her purple jumpsuit?

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Your Love and Best Years Of My Life from Forever Diana.
    She’s still doing these songs today and “Your Love” has held up so well - one of her best!

Here is a great 21 minute clip of Diana peforming in 1979 in Phoenix, Arizona. It features many songs, and songs that werent shown in the HBO concert, including "Getting ready for love".

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Here is a great 21 minute clip of Diana peforming in 1979 in Phoenix, Arizona. It features many songs, and songs that werent shown in the HBO concert, including "Getting ready for love".

How wonderful! What a great find. The entrance of a lifetime. And even in Arizona the audience is over the moon.

was just reading the D&M review on the Diana Ross Project site. the author talks about how You're Special in nice but lacks a real hook. You Are Everything was a track that hit big in UK and should have also been released here. Of course Special was a motown original, so we gotta at least give them credit for a non-cover song. which was so rare with the duet projects
    Absolutely, though to my ears 'Special' has interesting builds-and-breaks. And 'Mistake' was an original, I think.

seems like most of the D&M duet album was originals. I count 4 covers - Don't know, you are everything, pledging my love and stop look listen. Interesting that motown didn't exactly follow the old formula of doing nothing but covers.

I think the real problem with this album is Diana just comes across lackluster. like she's tired and bored with the whole thing

seems like most of the D&M duet album was originals. I count 4 covers - Don't know, you are everything, pledging my love and stop look listen. Interesting that motown didn't exactly follow the old formula of doing nothing but covers.

I think the real problem with this album is Diana just comes across lackluster. like she's tired and bored with the whole thing
    I don't notice that especially, though as has been discussed many [[really ... many ...) times before Diana was expecting and Marvin was in his 'get high, lay down on the sofa and sing' phase, so indeed the results are less than thrilling. But I give the LP a spin once or twice a year and find it pleasant. Not much more.

I always found it to be an uninspiring album. It should have been an absolute classic, but there were too many bang average songs. Marvin sounds great, but i do agree that Diana's performances are lacklustre. Neither artist particularly wanted to do the album, and Diana was pregnant and sick during the recording of it. I wish they had done another album together in the late 70's. It could have been a gem with both artists at their vocal peak.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Absolutely, though to my ears 'Special' has interesting builds-and-breaks. And 'Mistake' was an original, I think.
    I was very very disappointed in the D&M album. Diana did not sound good, and the lead single was and still is horrible.

I wonder why she choose to perform "you are everything" for her TV special in 1981?
    Larry Hagman, seems an odd guest from a 2020 perspective, and his voice is dreadful, his charisma close to zero.
    The contrast with Diana sublime voice is almost shocking.

But, he sings the duet like he is sure that all viewers knew it was a duet between Diana and Marvin. The song must be famous?

I wonder why she choose to perform "you are everything" for her TV special in 1981?
    Larry Hagman, seems an odd guest from a 2020 perspective, and his voice is dreadful, his charisma close to zero.

But, he sings the duet like he is sure that all viewers knew it was a duet between Diana and Marvin. The song must be famous?
    From what I recall reading, Larry Hagman was included by request of CBS. He was their hottest star at the time, with his role as J.R. Ewing on the nighttime soap DALLAS. Having him on Diana's special was sure to bring in even more viewers.

I was pleasantly surprised by their choosing to duet on YOU ARE EVERYTHING, as it was a UK-only hit for Diana. In the States, it is better known as a Stylistics classic. Maybe Larry liked that song and requested it.

I think Larry Hagman being on the show was all about CBS internal politics. In 1980/81 Hagman was the biggest network star on CBS and the show Dallas was one of the top if not the top rated show. Plus I think CBS probably thought that not enough folks in "middle America" would tune in to just watch a black singer for an hour, so they needed a famous and popular white figure to get more viewers. If you haven't noticed it that practice was also seen in most of the other Motown Specials as well.

i don't think race had anything to do with it. by 81 Diana Ross had more than proven herself with white, middle America. This was her 5th tv special, counting the 2 with the Sups. She also had had a widely success 1980 on the charts. So the idea of her doing an hour special on CBS was nothing shocking

the decision to had Hagman was purely about $$$$

the diana special aired in March of 81. not 100% of the taping date but November 21, 1980 was the air date for the reveal of Who Shot JR. so Hagman was MASSIVE at the time. Also he'd played [[and won) hardball with the CBS execs by using the summer hiatus of 1980 to demand huge pay raise. So now CBS would be eager to have him add his star appeal to probably any and all projects. Hagman would have made the ad prices skyrocket for the special and therefore make CBS much more money

i don't think race had anything to do with it. by 81 Diana Ross had more than proven herself with white, middle America. This was her 5th tv special, counting the 2 with the Sups. She also had had a widely success 1980 on the charts. So the idea of her doing an hour special on CBS was nothing shocking

the decision to had Hagman was purely about $$$$

the diana special aired in March of 81. not 100% of the taping date but November 21, 1980 was the air date for the reveal of Who Shot JR. so Hagman was MASSIVE at the time. Also he'd played [[and won) hardball with the CBS execs by using the summer hiatus of 1980 to demand huge pay raise. So now CBS would be eager to have him add his star appeal to probably any and all projects. Hagman would have made the ad prices skyrocket for the special and therefore make CBS much more money
    The funny “Marvin Gaye, eat your heart out,” line at the end of the song really surprised me when this originally aired. Hagman had to have known the two duetted on the song.

A little trivia: When this special was repeated in April of 1984, just two weeks after Marvin Gaye’s death, CBS execs were savvy enough to delete the line from the broadcast.