[REMOVE ADS]

Could Have Bee A Hit for the Contours!

Can any of you hear the Contours doing this one?

I loved the Contours "Can You Jerk Like Me" more then "Cool Jerk". Motown really got on the "Jerk" bandwaggon.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I loved the Contours "Can You Jerk Like Me" more then "Cool Jerk". Motown really got on the "Jerk" bandwagon.
    The jerk was a really popular dance for a couple of years. One of the tracks on Martha/Vandellas Dance Party album was titled "The Jerk." [[That album is probably my favorite of theirs.

yes,BigAl, "The Jerk" by Martha & the Vandellas is a great song and could have been a 45.the "Dance Party" LP I would have to say is my fave too of Martha & the Vandellas.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Can any of you hear the Contours doing this one?

I can hear them topping The Capitols on "Cool Jerk". If The Contours were still recording albums in 1966, it would've been a great LP cut for them.

Yep,i can hear em too!!!

With Ivy Jo Hunter and Mickey Stevenson producing, I definitely could hear The Contours doing an excellent cover of this. But ONLY with Billy Gordon singing lead.

Billy had the right kind of unvarnished R&B voice to sing this one. Joe Stubbs may have been ok [[straining to the max in this key), Dennis Edwards would have given a "proper" soul spin to the song, but my guy Billy was like Jr. Walker: his shout-it-out, shredder style was made for fun songs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    I loved the Go-Go's, but uh,uh! I didn't know they remade this song. Their pronunciation of "Cool Jerk" is hard to make out. Without the video, the song would be totally lost.