[REMOVE ADS]

Jr. Walker & the all-stars - "these eyes"

I heard this on my favorite Canadian radio station, CKWW just before posting this. This is such an excellent record. I and others probably took it for granted back at the time [[late 1969), because there was just so much great music out at that time. Here with a great remake of The Guess Who's classic hit), Jr. Walker & the Allstars

^ I remember this rendition. TFS

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post
    ^ I remember this rendition. TFS
    It still sounds great to me. The background vocals were excellent too.

I totally missed this one until I heard it on Chicago DJ Richard Pugee's overnight Saturday dusties show. It grabbed me immediately. The first thing that struck me was how much Motown was capitalizing on the surprise success of "What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)". Junior was surprisingly good with these more mellow tunes. For me, Junior's lack of guile and his down home style is what does it for me. It's one of those "who knew he had it in him" kind of pleasant surprises.

Personally this was the era I really loved with Junior, interviewed him several times what a real gentleman, one night at The Liverpool Empire, Junior was well up the many floors of the theatre, all stairs! it was summer and so Hot! no air conditioning! Junior was sat outside his dressing room pre show when I arrived and he looked so weary! I said you look tired Junior, we can leave it today, but he was having nothing of that, what a man! miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I totally missed this one until I heard it on Chicago DJ Richard Pugee's overnight Saturday dusties show. It grabbed me immediately. The first thing that struck me was how much Motown was capitalizing on the surprise success of "What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)". Junior was surprisingly good with these more mellow tunes. For me, Junior's lack of guile and his down home style is what does it for me. It's one of those "who knew he had it in him" kind of pleasant surprises.
    I characterized it as Junior's "Sweet phase" or era. From approximately 1968-75.

And this live performance is great