[REMOVE ADS]

The Holidays featuring Edwin Starr - I'll Love You Forever [[1966)

Remember this song?

Great Motown-inspired tune from ’66 [[#63 pop, #7 r&b). Good to hear it again. Thanks marv2!

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Great Motown-inspired tune from ’66 [[#63 pop, #7 r&b). Good to hear it again. Thanks marv2!
    You're most welcome Mowest. I loved this song back in the day.

Too bad due to the Golden World masters existing no more,we can't hear the alternative versions. Edwin Starr laid one lead of about three. Steve Mancha and JJ Barnes also did a pass, but Edwin's sounded the best to Ed & Joanne.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Too bad due to the Golden World masters existing no more,we can't hear the alternative versions. Edwin Starr laid one lead of about three. Steve Mancha and JJ Barnes also did a pass, but Edwin's sounded the best to Ed & Joanne.
    I didn't know JJ and Steve also recorded this. Thanks Quinn

IMO the greatest song that ever was on the Golden World label. Absolutely great.

With competition of this quality, no wonder Berry Gordy bought the label.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    With competition of this quality, no wonder Berry Gordy bought the label.
    I've never really understood that Berry would be so afraid of Golden World/Ric Tic. I'm sure I'm sticking my neck out on the chopping block, but I've just never heard what made Berry feel there was serious competition going on here. Yes, GW/Ric Tic came out with some very good records, but that was it: they were records, not career-defining or career-building songs. Motown was all about carefully constructing careers, building their artists into household names. Motown also had the whole marketing thing down pat. I never got the impression of any of that happening at Golden World.

With the exception of Edwin Starr and to some extent, the Fantastic Four, I don't think anyone at Golden World had that name recognition that the Motown artists had with the mainstream public. Even Motown's lesser-known artists still had a better shot at having ongoing careers, with carefully chosen follow ups that were planned with military precision.

When I was a kid, collecting Motown, I kinda stumbled onto some of the GW/Ric Tic records here and there. I liked them well enough, but to me they never really measured up to what Motown was doing. The one person I thought could have taken off was J.J. Barnes. To me, he had one great record after another, but I had never heard of him. I remember thinking why haven't I ever heard these on oldies radio? The more I learned about Golden World, the more I wished they had the same marketing savvy Motown had. As it was, looking at the discography, I was baffled by why people would have one record and then totally disappear. Where were the albums?

I guess that's why I was always surprised to read that Berry felt the competition from GW was getting too hot. Golden World released good records, but Motown built artists and careers and images.

I agree. I believe that Ed Wingate approached Gordy with an option to buy GW. It was good business for Gordy, who needed more studio capability, so it fit the bill.
    The 'competition' aspect has been grossly exagerated IMO.

In the Real Estate business, it is all about location, location, location. In record sales a large part of the equation is, promotion, promotion, promotion. I grew up in Philly at the time, and don't remember this, nor did my better half who grew up in Metro NYC.
    That aside, what a truly delicious record!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I agree. I believe that Ed Wingate approached Gordy with an option to buy GW. It was good business for Gordy, who needed more studio capability, so it fit the bill.
    The 'competition' aspect has been grossly exagerated IMO.
    Actually that's a good point about Gordy's purchasing giving him more studio capability. Now that makes a lot more sense to me as being the reason for purchasing GW.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    In the Real Estate business, it is all about location, location, location. In record sales a large part of the equation is, promotion, promotion, promotion. I grew up in Philly at the time, and don't remember this, nor did my better half who grew up in Metro NYC.
    That aside, what a truly delicious record!
    That's the shame of it all, this is a really good record. GW put out some good stuff, but you don't get the sense that these were mammoth hits or that they had a strong national impact. Even if you don't particularly like Motown, tons of people at least know a couple of the songs. Golden World/Ric Tic? Unless you're a dedicated, deep music fan, I don't think the general public could name even one of their songs.

Loving "The Holidays" will add it to my favorites.

Didn't know Edwin "War" Starr sang ballads, until a friend introduced me to his rendition of "My Girl" a few years ago.

TFS.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post
    Loving "The Holidays" will add it to my favorites.

Didn't know Edwin "War" Starr sang ballads, until a friend introduced me to his rendition of "My Girl" a few years ago.

TFS.

Hey, this sounds good! Actually sounds like a version you would have heard on Stax records.

Another reason for buying the label could be to stop members of the Funk Brothers moonlighting.