[REMOVE ADS]

Smile Miss Ross at Universal Amphitheater September 1978

What a show it must have been!!!!

By the way, It's a tragedy they didn't film her in LA or New-York for this show an also for the previous one, "An evening with Diana Ross".

Caesars Palace is a too small place to capture the majestic of her presentation and the 1977 TV Special cannot recreate the concert magic. But I know, in those days, it wasn't the routine to film a show.
    Last edited by Albator; 02-05-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Diana Ross
    UNIVERSAL AMPHITHEATRE. L.A. —

Diana Ross augmented her recent Amphitheater appearance with some very elaborate staging that included a taped greeting from the singer, broadcast via a helicopter hovering overhead and a motion picture sequence that turned into the real thing as Ross stepped forward from the rear of the stage. Though the staging was certainly an interesting sight, in the end it was her superb vocalizing and powerful stage presence that drew the crowds' enthusiastic response.

Unfortunately because of technical difficulties, her lips were out of synch with the record as she emerged from the screen, which would certainly take away from the imaginary wonderland that was trying to be created.

Dripping in sequins and furs from head to toe, she looks exactly like the legend that Motown has created, and performs with all the professionalism of a seasoned star, with a little something extra. Diana seems to have attained that magic that makes you want to laugh and cry at the same time.

Just at a time when you begin to think you've seen and heard it all too many times before, she belts out “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” “Reach Out And Touch,” “Love Hangover,” her songs from “Lady Sings The Blues,” not to leave out a medley of old Supremes hits. Then suddenly the lights faded and billows of smoke surround her as she talks to an imaginary Scarecrow, Lion, Toto and the Tin Man as she eases into “Ease On Down The Road,” “Can’t You Feel A Brand New Day” and “If You Believe In Yourself."

The show itself was obviously well planned and genuinely innovative, and Diana's performance was of a caliber that left you wanting for nothing More.
    Cookle Amerson - Cashbox 14/10/78

New Diana Ross Show a Dazzler
    Singer Is Super, But Opening Night Production Flawed
    By Eliot Tiegel

LOS ANGELES - Diana Ross'multi-talented abilities are certainly enough to provide a concert audience with the goods for an evening's entertainment.
    She sings with a sophisticated polish and confidence and strength which was not totally there after she went her own in 1970.

She now uses her body sensually, swaying delicately yet knowingly and she can get funky when the tempos get bright.
    She knows how to transfer film dialog to the stage an play several roles, injecting different voices to match the characters, as she did on a medley from the forthcoming film “The Wiz”. And she laughs a lot.
    For most performers having those attributes would suffice. Not Diana and her Motown backers.

On opening night Tuesday [[19) at the Universal Amphitheater:
    - A helicopter hovered over the outdoor theatre blinking out the following message. “Thanks for being a part of my life. Have ou good time. Love, Diana"
    - A laser light show cascaded three dimensional images on a stage screen.
    - A multi-media film and slide show integrated the segments of the hour and 20-minute show.
    - Nine male dancers added flash and humor to Diana's four costume changes, at times dazzling in content.
    - A 14-voice chorus shouted its message with a gospelish tone.

Now the good mews: vocalist/interpreter Ross who last played Los Angeles two years ago at this same Amphitheater in Universal City, was brilliant in her singing. She has developed a strength in her voice which allows her to hold sustained notes on the gusty Ballads while soaring lightly on the disco flavored tunes which don't require that much intensity. She has the vocal flair and drama and tonal clarity one associates with a Barbra Streisand.
    Diana can sustain your attention with her voice; she can endear her-self to your heart with her gracious smile, beaming eyes and lithe body.

And now the bad news for all the money put into this elaborate stage production, opening night was a series of errors and goofs. Obviously they would be corrected rather quickly so that the audience attending this week's run which ends Monday [[25) is not subjected to:

Diana asking what song comes next, who starts the song, a dark stage where there should be film running, several awful dancer who were klutzes and therefore stood out where there should have been group precision [[there were two groups of dancer and the second team of five were really super, showing how poor the first four were), several tune endings which were too abrupt to be comfortable, a closing which was more walk onstage by the star without a formal goodnight which left the audience anticipating her return, and the embarrassment of bringing the 14-voice chorus out in front only to discover there were no mikes planned for them.
    All through these embarrassing moments Diana smiled and laughed, but one has to wonder what she's really thinking. There were change to the program right through the rehearsal since Diana wanted to present her audience with -"something new".
    Obviously more time was needed. But the show business veteran made her opening deadline and did her part.
    So, too, did the Joe Guercio led orchestra planted stage center and visible several times when the screens parted Musically, the 17 songs were a potpourri of past and present and up-coming tunes from "The Wiz" in which she stars.
    First there was a movie of Diana singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" to begin the concert. Then she emerged from the screen to pickup the lyrics and the rest of the show was the former Supreme lead singer in the flesh having a good time performing: "Gettin Ready For Love.", "Touch Me In The Morning.", "Ready For Love"."I wanna be bad".- "Remember Me.""All Night Lover".- "Too Shy To Say"- and "Love Hangover".
    These commercial songs were contrasted by a medley from the film "Lady Sings The Blues" with Diana reprising "Ain't Nobody's Business","The Man I Love." "Them There Eyes" and "Our Love Is Here To Stay".
    The "Wiz" medley was the show-stopper. Playing the part of Dorothy, the Scarecrow, Tim Man, Lion and the bad witch, Diana sang seven tunes from the score, with her narration leading into the works.
    It was a fine dramatic experience and solidified her interpretation of "Soon As I Get Home.", "Be A Lion." 'Ease On Down The Road","Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News," "Brand New Day","Believe In Yourself" and "Home."
    The final segment of the show had her carried out onstage in a pink shoe which she used as a rest to balladize "To Love Again." Center stage she offered the disco charted and connecting, "You're the One" and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough".
    "Reach Out And Touch" was the closing tune in which she brought the chorus upfront, shared her one mike with them, waved "so long" to the audience, departed and left the final chorus to be sung in a screaming fashion by one of the ladies.
    The audience anticipated more Diana. There was none. Too bad. The evening ended on a puzzling note. Too bad
    Billboard 30/9/1978

I had the good fortune to see that show when I lived in L.A. It wasn't opening night so the "bugs" were ironed out and she was fantastic. One song that she sang that was not listed in the above reviews was "Lovin, Livin' and Givin" which was a nice surprise.

I'm mad you posted this. The song lineup seems to me to be the best song lineup. Too many shows had her doing a couple hits, the obligatory Supremes medley, Lady Sings medley and a bunch of other "why is Ross singing this song" songs. Here she's doing album tracks from Baby It's Me, Ross, The Wiz, along with the hits. Crossing my fingers that audio someday surfaces of this.

Center stage she offered the disco charted and connecting, "You're the One" and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"
    Disco charted = Lovin' Livin' and Givin'

Connecting "you'r the one to "Mountain" = "All of my life" instead of "Do you know"?

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post

Connecting "you'r the one to "Mountain" = "All of my life" instead of "Do you know"?
    This was the only concert tour that I can recall having the THEME FROM MAHOGANY being performed on its own.

By comparison, when I saw this show, AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH was only sung briefly at the open. Then at the end, she sang YOU WERE THE ONE joined with a short reprise of AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH, during which the dancers carried her back into the screen.

?
    Technically, Diana Ross scored a #1 disco hit with LLandG when combined with all the songs from the THANK GOD ITS FRIDAY collection which was #1 for six weeks.

If that's your question Albator

Added: oh I see ? ..there seems to be a song credit missing ...
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-04-2020 at 03:25 PM.

In New York, too, the dancers carried her back into the screen; there was no shoe.

However, the ending was strange/curious in that after the elaborate staging, including the exit into the screen, all executed perfectly, Diana emerged again from stage right, this time wearing a brown leather jacket, a dark blue blouse or shirt with a murky floral or geometric print and pale, ripped blue jeans. She may have performed one or two lines of the song that was still playing at that time and said a few words of farewell.

Some folks liked the transition, with Diana leaving the over-the-top glamour behind and revealing her authentic self in a rather common street look before she darted out of the West 51st Street stage entrance, hopped in a limo and was gone before audience members left their seats; others didn't.

I didn't, maybe because suddenly she was too casual and too real, which made everything before that seemed too pre-packaged and too phony and artificial.

Yes, of course, the show had been meticulously planned, but it had seemed somewhat spontaneous, thanks to Diana's acting skills; she had appeared to be very genuine in some of her ad libbed asides and segueways. But when she presented an actual version of her off-stage self, the illusion of the true Diana through the show was shattered a bit too much, and the audience took away a final impression of someone who could have been any old nobody you'd see on the street and walk past without caring, not the impression of a highly talented woman who you'd want to hang out with for an hour or more, again and again and again.

The Evening With Diana Ross show, start to finish, had polish and preparation, too, but it ended magically and majestically. You felt rewarded, knowing you had been in the presence of a star. The veil wasn't ripped away, and you didn't end up the evening saying, "oh, she's just like us..." and wonder if you'd go again next time.

I did go back for many more years, and, happily, the endings of the other shows were of the usual, full-dress type. You felt like the time together ended at just the right moment; you did not feel like you stayed on the subway one stop too many.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    In New York, too, the dancers carried her back into the screen; there was no shoe.

However, the ending was strange/curious in that after the elaborate staging, including the exit into the screen, all executed perfectly, Diana emerged again from stage right, this time wearing a brown leather jacket, a dark blue blouse or shirt with a murky floral or geometric print and pale, ripped blue jeans. She may have performed one or two lines of the song that was still playing at that time and said a few words of farewell.
    When I saw it, after YOU WERE THE ONE / AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH, the arena demanded more. After a few minutes, Diana came back on stage in her bathrobe and the orchestra played the uptempo portion of LOVE HANGOVER. One of her dancers came out, she ripped off her robe, and danced in her black lingerie before exiting again.

What a show it must have been!!!!

By the way, It's a tragedy they didn't film her in LA or New-York for this show an also for the previous one, "An evening with Diana Ross".

Caesars Palace is a too small place to capture the majestic of her presentation and the 1977 TV Special cannot recreate the concert magic. But I know, in those days, it wasn't the routine to film a show.
    AN EVENING WITH... was recorded in Japan for a television special. It is well-done but it was only 60 minutes long and the segments were out of order. It would be nice if someone had access to the master tape and could restore it to its proper order and length.

Some folks liked the transition, with Diana leaving the over-the-top glamour behind and revealing her authentic self in a rather common street look before she darted out of the West 51st Street stage entrance, hopped in a limo and was gone before audience members left their seats; others didn't.

I didn't, maybe because suddenly she was too casual and too real, which made everything before that seemed too pre-packaged and too phony and artificial.
    IMO, this is a glamorous way of making an exit. I didn't know that and I'm delighted to learn more of her past performances.