[REMOVE ADS]

NY Times: Aretha Franklin’s Estate Still Unsettled as Executor Resigns

I recall reading excerpts of Aretha Franklin's handwritten "will" that her niece, the soon to be former executor of her estate, Sabrina Owens discovered hidden under the cushion of her living room sofa. In the "will" Aretha stated she wanted her youngest son, Kecalf to either enroll in college to earn a business degree or take a few business courses. Maybe, Aretha wanted to prepare Kecalf to become official executor of her estate by stated it in her "will".
    Last edited by MusicWise; 02-01-2020 at 01:28 PM.

^ That's possible. But I wonder if Kecalf even knows how to run an estate. Does he even have a college degree? He seems like he lived off his mother's wealth for nearly 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ That's possible. But I wonder if Kecalf even knows how to run an estate. Does he even have a college degree? He seems like he lived off his mother's wealth for nearly 50 years.
    According to an excerpt of Aretha Franklin's handwritten "will" she insisted that two of her sons, Kecalf and Edward take business administration classes AND earn a degree or certificate:

Aretha Franklin’s Handwritten Wills Are Detailed, Funny, and Legally Messy

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/aret...explained.html

"The 2010 will says Kecalf and Edward must take classes in business administration and earn a degree or certificate in order to receive the “aforementioned things” in the will, including the properties and shares of her estate.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post
    According to an excerpt of Aretha Franklin's handwritten "will" she insisted that two of her sons, Kecalf and Edward take business administration classes AND earn a degree or certificate:

"The 2010 will says Kecalf and Edward must take classes in business administration and earn a degree or certificate in order to receive the “aforementioned things” in the will, including the properties and shares of her estate.
    Wow. If it's found out that they didn't do what Mama wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post

The last I remember, the consideration of the 3 written documents stashed in the sofa cushions [[Aretha ... girl ... that ain't how to do it ...) as actual 'wills' was undecided. They are, however, quite a hoot to read! I don't know if any of the sons had further education or independent career experience, sadly a too-frequent situation with off-spring of the rich and famous ...

^ I doubt it. I know Clarence Franklin [[her oldest son) was mentally handicapped. I don't know if Eddie graduated from high school. Ted Franklin might have, IDK. And who knows about Kecalf? I know that when he was younger, he tried to start a rap career during Aretha's third career revival in the mid-1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ I doubt it. I know Clarence Franklin [[her oldest son) was mentally handicapped. I don't know if Eddie graduated from high school. Ted Franklin might have, IDK. And who knows about Kecalf? I know that when he was younger, he tried to start a rap career during Aretha's third career revival in the mid-1990s.
    Teddy went to high school in Lincoln Park[[MI) right outside Detroit and graduated.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The last I remember, the consideration of the 3 written documents stashed in the sofa cushions [[Aretha ... girl ... that ain't how to do it ...) as actual 'wills' was undecided. They are, however, quite a hoot to read! I don't know if any of the sons had further education or independent career experience, sadly a too-frequent situation with off-spring of the rich and famous ...
    I remember this interview with Aretha's second born son, Eddie Franklin, where he said he was pursuing a singing career and that he, a friend, and his youngest brother Kecalf were working on a single or an EP.

ETA: Eddie Franklin seems to be quite talented, as a singer [although he could benefit from formal voice training] songwriter, dancer, and an impressionist!

Aretha's third son, Teddy White, is a musician in his own right, who often accompanied his mother on tour.

Kecalf Cunningham, is a Christian rapper and producer.

Aretha and her Son Eddie Franklin sing a soulsational "This Christmas" Duet

Generally wills have to be properly witnessed and those aren't. Occasionally, dieing declarations are valid - like if you are floating on a piece of foam in the ocean with a pen while sharks circle. But fluff like this wouldn't be.

Even if it were validly signed, these contingent gifts could be declared invalid.

Just because you have a great voice doesn't mean you look after your affairs, doesn't mean you aren't unstable, doesn't mean you are organized or know how to properly evaluate who might be entitled to your estate; it doesn't mean you got along with your family.

If anything, Aretha's affairs were always a mess and she was pretty flighty and outspoken and demanding.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Generally wills have to be properly witnessed and those aren't. Occasionally, dieing declarations are valid - like if you are floating on a piece of foam in the ocean with a pen while sharks circle. But fluff like this wouldn't be.

Even if it were validly signed, these contingent gifts could be declared invalid.

Just because you have a great voice doesn't mean you look after your affairs, doesn't mean you aren't unstable, doesn't mean you are organized or know how to properly evaluate who might be entitled to your estate; it doesn't mean you got along with your family.

If anything, Aretha's affairs were always a mess and she was pretty flighty and outspoken and demanding.
    Interesting legal info. All true & all just so unfortunate. And could have been settled far in advance quite easily. This situation will never change my love of Aretha, but separately what a shame the lady never took a solid 12 or so hours of her life to get this all into proper order. As far as we know [[and I hope I'm incorrect) none of her sons have actual, lucrative careers even though they are all nearing [[or past) retirement age. Most likely the estate will largely be consumed by legal fees.

I think your view is accurate. A couple thousand dollars could have given her even a basic, decent will but instead she left them a dog's breakfast to deal with. It makes no sense. It seems like Aretha had a terribly stubborn and arrogant streak and she thought whatever she "felt" was right would happen. And that is very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think your view is accurate. A couple thousand dollars could have given her even a basic, decent will but instead she left them a dog's breakfast to deal with. It makes no sense. It seems like Aretha had a terribly stubborn and arrogant streak and she thought whatever she "felt" was right would happen. And that is very wrong.
    Thanks, yes, and I obsess because I've experienced. Nobody can expect relatives/survivors to 'do the right thing', regardless of no money, a few debts, lots of money, no debts, a few nice or sentimental things, or nothing. Never underestimate anyone's ability to do the wrong thing, even as regards disposition of parental ashes.