[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Plus+ Music Streaming Service

So here's a general question for the Motown forum, would anyone else be interested in a stand alone Motown Plus Streaming music service? Where Motown has all of it's music catalog on a stand alone streaming service, much like a Spotify, Amazon, Apple or Youtube streaming service- but solely dedicated to the music of the greatest music label in the history of the world.

Thru this service you could have access to not just all the music that we already know, but it would also include rarer material like all the releases from the Workshop Jazz label, or Mowest label, with additional music that's EXCLUSIVE to this service, such as unreleased songs/albums, unreleased live/concert performances, or alternative mixes that might not otherwise ever be released.

I've tried a couple different streaming services over the past couple of years and I have really grown to love them. These streaming services have allowed me to hear artists and music that I might not have ever heard before and its so incredibly convenient. These services give me access to so many different artists, albums and songs than I could have ever imagined or my budget would have permitted in the past.

Thoughts? As a fan, how much you be willing to pay for such a service? $5.99/month? 7.99/month?

Apple Music has a Motown Essential channel and a Motown Sounds channel. I wouldn't be willing to pay for a standalone streaming service since Motown isn't all I listen to. I like Apple Music enough [[Its not my first choice of mixes but its not bad, either) but what I like is when I want to switch to another genre I just type it in the search box. Is this what you're asking?

I believe this question came up several years ago on the old Motown Board. The concept is interesting, but for me I would rather own the music versus paying for it monthly and maybe not having perpetual access to the catalog -- being at the whim of the copyright owners who may decide to remove content. Now, if there were options like download or generate a physical copy, then I would definitely be interested. Also I would want album artwork, liner notes and music credits.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Apple Music has a Motown Essential channel and a Motown Sounds channel. I wouldn't be willing to pay for a standalone streaming service since Motown isn't all I listen to. I like Apple Music enough [[Its not my first choice of mixes but its not bad, either) but what I like is when I want to switch to another genre I just type it in the search box. Is this what you're asking?
    The idea came up in another thread where someone brought up wanting all of The Originals's albums released onto CD and I just thought wouldn't it be cool if all of the Originals albums were on a streaming service, or any other Motown artists catalog was easily accessible thru a streaming service, not just their top sellers or their "essential" work, but all of it. Like I don't think there will ever be a CD box set of the Original's albums, and it's unlikely that I would ever have the time/energy/means to hunt down and buy all of their albums at this point, but I wouldn't mind listening to all of their albums. I currently have a subscription to one service where I can just search by song name, artists, album name or whatever and I assume most services work this way as well. As far as art work, liner notes and music credits, I'm sure a companion website could be created to contain all of that information as well. I mentioned the subscription cost to get a feel for what fans would be willing to pay, and my thought is somewhere less than the cost of a full streaming service. And while my first preference would be to own a physical copy of my favorite music, CD or vinyl, that's not really the direction of the music industry. Currently it seems like the technology is even moving away from downloads and into streaming.

If I had to choose between CDs or never hearing unreleased material [[Unreleased Motown), I'm all aboard with streaming then.

Currently I'm in the process of playing every Motown record written/ produced by the team of George Gordy and Allen Story. Being able to subscribe to a Motown streaming service would make that a lot easier for me to do.

7.99, I'd even gladly go for $9.99 a month, if it means ALL of Motown, 1959 - today, including: Motown, Tamla, Gordy, Soul, Melody, Workshop Jazz, V.I.P., Weed, Chisa, Black Forum, Rare Earth, MoWest, Prodigal, Melodyland, Hitsville, MoJazz, Biv 10, Motown Gospel, big hits, medium charting hits, small charting hits, bubbling under hits, B-sides, album tracks, movie soundtracks, live tracks, unreleased tracks, big stars, medium selling stars, lesser selling singers, one album singers, one single singers.

ALL of Motown, including T.G. Sheppard, Jose Feliciano, Lenny Williams, Stephanie Mills, Apollo, Finis Henderson, Kagny and the Dirty Rats, Coyote Sisters, Maureen Steele, Sam Harris, General Caine / Kane, Wilson Pickett, Carrie McDowell, Brownmark, Bruce Willis, and Pointer Sisters. I've even read once or twice that Joyce "Fenderella" Irby once was on Motown. Acknowledgement of Diana Ross' "Workin' Overtime". And I remember once loving Debelah Morgan's "I Still Remember Yesterday" some over twenty years ago, then never heard it on radio again since. Y'know, the stuff Motown has long placed on the back forgotten record bins.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 02-01-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Good idea: I'd be interested in a streaming service for Motown's music. I also feel that there should be a streaming service for Motown's videos, movies & TV Specials [[such as TCB, Supremes & Temptations On Broadway, Diana Ross' Specials, Save The Children and others).

I subscribe to Amazon Music already, but I would love to have access, by any means necessary, of Motown's live performances [[videos).

Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    I subscribe to Amazon Music already, but I would love to have access, by any means necessary, of Motown's live performances [[videos).
    Yea, it would be great to hear some of those unreleased live concerts. I know Brenda Holloway has at least two unreleased sets in the vaults.