[REMOVE ADS]

Re-Issue Suggestions

I have some ideas to pass along to David Nathan or I guess any other music mogul that might find them interesting. First of all, I would like to see the four Tata Vega albums released as a two-CD set, similar to what was done with Thelma Houston a couple of years back.

Also I would like to see the Motown albums re-issued on CD that Diahann Carroll and Leslie Uggams did. They were each very good albums in my opinion. Obviously they could not be released on the same CD but both are worthy of re-issue.

I am sure if I put my mind to it I could think of other albums that need to be available on CD but these are the only ones that come to mind right now.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I have some ideas to pass along to David Nathan or I guess any other music mogul that might find them interesting. First of all, I would like to see the four Tata Vega albums released as a two-CD set, similar to what was done with Thelma Houston a couple of years back.

Also I would like to see the Motown albums re-issued on CD that Diahann Carroll and Leslie Uggams did. They were each very good albums in my opinion. Obviously they could not be released on the same CD but both are worthy of re-issue.

I am sure if I put my mind to it I could think of other albums that need to be available on CD but these are the only ones that come to mind right now.
    I would like to see the Tata Vega albums on 2 cd set too, but David Nathan did release the first two on cd several years ago, and the remaining two were issued digitally so i wouldn't hold out too much hope.
    I would like to see The Originals albums on a cd boxset. That would be wonderful.

Vanity, Wild Animal, 1984.

I don't know how any chances of this ever re-hauling out of the vaults can still sit today, aware of Denise Matthews' shedding of persona, to self-maintain her evangelism. And, for all I know, her estate may still have blocks against any of it. But, well, Rest In Peace, and she was also sexy, sensual, raunchy, and kick-butt once upon a time. Why not finally re-remind the world that now?

First; More Supremes! As least let's finally get expanded editions of Reflections & Love Child. And I know this goes outside of the Motown catalog but I'd love to see the catalog of Rufus & Chaka Khan reissued [[or at least get them a good comprehensive collection).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    First; More Supremes! As least let's finally get expanded editions of Reflections & Love Child. And I know this goes outside of the Motown catalog but I'd love to see the catalog of Rufus & Chaka Khan reissued [[or at least get them a good comprehensive collection).
    Don't hold your breath for remastered Rufus/Chaka--a large chunk of their masters went up in smoke in the Universal fire, sadly.

Jerry Butler's The Spice of Life and The Sagittarius Movement.

Lulu's late '70s/early '80s recordings are long, long overdue a dedicated CD release.

It would be great to get all of the albums from High Inergy released on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Lulu's late '70s/early '80s recordings are long, long overdue a dedicated CD release.

Wrong thread, smallworld, but, as I am also a fellow collector of Lulu records, Lulu was in Alfa Records.

As it always seems like, I don't know why, but the Universal Japan Motown reissue program is extremely limiting on the Martha Reeves & the Vandellas album reissues - as I recall, only Heat Wave, and Dance Party. How about, adding Watchout!, and Ridin' High?

The Jermaine Jackson albums [[ including the unreleased Philly album) on CD would be great.
    Also i would love to see on CD the Motown Sing Motown Superstars compilation.

I am in agreement with the folks who suggested the High Inergy LPs [["Groove Patrol" is a long time favorite of mine). I also like the suggestions of Diahann Carroll & Leslie Uggams. I would also like to suggest "Hit 'n' Run Lover" by Charlene and "Red Hot" by Mary Wilson with bonus tracks.

Yes, Charlene's "Hit 'n' Run Lover". In agreement with Diahann Carroll and Leslis Uggams. Also, music from the Morocco label. Motown had some interesting artists from the 1970s and 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    Yes, Charlene's "Hit 'n' Run Lover". In agreement with Diahann Carroll and Leslis Uggams. Also, music from the Morocco label. Motown had some interesting artists from the 1970s and 1980s.
    I liked a lot of the Morocco releases that I bought at the time, but I don't think I've had the desire to play any of them this century.

Okay, how about: Johnny Gill, Johnny Gill [[1990) 30th Anniversary Expanded Edition?

Yes, I know, the album in itself could still be found in used CD bins for cheap easily, but I'm talkin' a new reissue, fresh to generate profits and royalties for Motown / Johnny Gill / Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds / Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis again, as well as to re-commemorate it as an all-time awesome album.

The tracks, remastered for best sound possible, plus the twelve inch, club, and radio remixes of "Rub You The Right Way", "Wrap My Body Tight" and "Fairweather Friend".
    Last edited by Ngroove; 02-01-2020 at 02:40 AM.

Any particular albums Smallworld?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Okay, how about: Johnny Gill, Johnny Gill [[1990) 30th Anniversary Expanded Edition?

Yes, I know, the album in itself could still be found in used CD bins for cheap easily, but I'm talkin' a new reissue, fresh to generate profits and royalties for Motown / Johnny Gill / Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds / Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis again, as well as to re-commemorate it as an all-time awesome album.

The tracks, remastered for best sound possible, plus the twelve inch, club, and radio remixes of "Rub You The Right Way", "Wrap My Body Tight" and "Fairweather Friend".
    It's a fine album for sure, but is the demand there when it can easily be obtained for next to nothing? It would be nice to have all the additional mixes included but the biggest sellers tend to come from the 60's,70's and 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_sku View Post
    I am in agreement with the folks who suggested the High Inergy LPs [["Groove Patrol" is a long time favorite of mine). I also like the suggestions of Diahann Carroll & Leslie Uggams. I would also like to suggest "Hit 'n' Run Lover" by Charlene and "Red Hot" by Mary Wilson with bonus tracks.
    The rights to Red Hot by Mary Wilson were obtained a few years back, but it was decided there was not sufficient demand to release the product. Some of the reissues from the past few years sold under 1000 copies worldwide which is quite simply not enough to warrant the time, trouble and cost involved in reissuing the music.
    There are several more in the pipeline, but it is more of a trickle these days.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Don't hold your breath for remastered Rufus/Chaka--a large chunk of their masters went up in smoke in the Universal fire, sadly.
    I didn't forget about the Universal Fire that took place in 2008 [[and I'm sure most of the original masters for the Rufus & Chaka Khan catalog were destroyed in the blaze). Hoping that they have safety copies of their work stored somewhere.

How about Wilson Pickett's American Soul Man? Would be interesting to find out how "The Wicked Pickett's" only LP on Motown came to pass.

What’s left on David Ruffin?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I’m sure most of their previously released stuff was remastered. But I’m not holding my breath for any unreleased material sadly. Beck stated that he lost a country album to the blaze.

I did not realize that Wilson had ever recorded for Motown, so yes indeed that would be interesting to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I did not realize that Wilson had ever recorded for Motown, so yes indeed that would be interesting to hear.
    I think it was in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Any particular albums Smallworld?
    Don't Take Love For Granted [[1979), Lulu [[1981), Take Me To Your Heart Again [[1982).

Don't Take Love For Granted [[1979), Lulu [[1981), Take Me To Your Heart Again [[1982).
    I would like to see these LPs reissued also. There are some outstanding tracks on these releases!

Busting out of L7/ Rick James is long overdue and deserving the deluxe treatment. Also Teena Marie’s Wild and Peaceful needs to return to availability. Also Gladys Knight and the Pips All in a Knight’s Work and Stevie Wonder Live and Live at the Talk of The Town

Just thought of this: Stevie Wonder CDs from the '80s that haven't [[as far as I know) been remastered & reissued.

The Secret Life Of Plants [[Soundtrack)
    The Woman In Red [[Soundtrack)
    In Square Circle
    Characters

I'm not expecting anything 'from the vaults' from these albums since Stevie won't allow that, but these albums should be given the same treatment that his classic '70s albums received [[back in the early 2000's).

Wilson Pickett "American Soul Man" is available on CD
    Name:  10019111483_00f0e7fc23_b.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  89.1 KB

It's a fine album for sure, but is the demand there when it can easily be obtained for next to nothing? It would be nice to have all the additional mixes included but the biggest sellers tend to come from the 60's,70's and 80's.
    Yes, "the nineties". I still remember back to Hammer's parachute pants, Janet's military-esque uniform, and seeing Michael as white before learning he was black. Then, my opinion, tons of bad music dumped from there after that. However, Johnny Gill ain't one of them.

My opinion, Johnny Gill, is / should be, just as much as a smooth soul man, as Marvin Gaye, Barry White, Teddy Pendergrass, Peabo Bryson, Luther Vandross, and Freddie Jackson. With his multi-chorded voice, versatile in doing it all, from blasting those beats, or his balladeering for soothing women into the boudoir. What makes him even better than many contemporaries of his period even then, including his New Edition teammates, he's got class.

However, also, when it comes to "Motown in the Nineties", the only seeming representative Motown remembers every now-and-then, would be Boyz II Men. Yes, they were the biggest selling of the time, they had their "CooleyHighHarmony" remastered and reissued by Hip-O once. Public who stigmatizes nineties as "It's the nineties", even I admit I stigmatize 91% of nineties music as "It's the nineties", give Johnny Gill a listen.

Once again, my opinion, Johnny Gill, top ten album, three R&B number ones, two of them crossover top ten pop, should be just as much a Classic Motown album, as Motown reissued in Classic Album / Deluxe Edition formats, Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On", "Let's Get It On", "I Want You", Diana Ross' "Diana", Rick James' "Street Songs", Teena Marie's "It Must Be Magic", and Lionel Richie's "Can't Slow Down".

And, it's soon turning thirty. I still remember Four Tops, back when I was listening to oldies radio back in late nineties, as "oldies" when their top hits were little over thirty years old. And on 2012, I was stoked, realizing that the Mary Jane Girls had turned thirty, yet still sounded fresh and modern. And now Johnny Gill will be. And in ten more years, will be forty. Will it still not be officially considered a "classic" album, even still when it becomes forty?
    Last edited by Ngroove; 02-02-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Wilson Pickett "American Soul Man" is available on CD
    Name:  10019111483_00f0e7fc23_b.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  89.1 KB
    Thanks for the heads up. I have this cd! I must conduct a search for it. Haven't listened to it in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Yes, "the nineties". I still remember back to Hammer's parachute pants, Janet's military-esque uniform, and seeing Michael as white before learning he was black. Then, my opinion, tons of bad music dumped from there after that. However, Johnny Gill ain't one of them.

My opinion, Johnny Gill, is / should be, just as much as a smooth soul man, as Marvin Gaye, Barry White, Teddy Pendergrass, Peabo Bryson, Luther Vandross, and Freddie Jackson. With his multi-chorded voice, versatile in doing it all, from blasting those beats, or his balladeering for soothing women into the boudoir. What makes him even better than many contemporaries of his period even then, including his New Edition teammates, he's got class.

However, also, when it comes to "Motown in the Nineties", the only seeming representative Motown remembers every now-and-then, would be Boyz II Men. Yes, they were the biggest selling of the time, they had their "CooleyHighHarmony" remastered and reissued by Hip-O once. Public who stigmatizes nineties as "It's the nineties", even I admit I stigmatize 91% of nineties music as "It's the nineties", give Johnny Gill a listen.

Once again, my opinion, Johnny Gill, top ten album, three R&B number ones, two of them crossover top ten pop, should be just as much a Classic Motown album, as Motown reissued in Classic Album / Deluxe Edition formats, Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On", "Let's Get It On", "I Want You", Diana Ross' "Diana", Rick James' "Street Songs", Teena Marie's "It Must Be Magic", and Lionel Richie's "Can't Slow Down".

And, it's soon turning thirty. I still remember Four Tops, back when I was listening to oldies radio back in late nineties, as "oldies" when their top hits were little over thirty years old. And on 2012, I was stoked, realizing that the Mary Jane Girls had turned thirty, yet still sounded fresh and modern. And now Johnny Gill will be. And in ten more years, will be forty. Will it still not be officially considered a "classic" album, even still when it becomes forty?
    I do agree it is an excellent album, and i do rate Johnny Gill very highly. He is a wonderfully gifted vocalist. Without doubt the best of his generation.
    However, it is not currently thought to be a viable candidate for a reissue, but i will try again and again because i do like your idea. Thank you.

I like the sound of this. There are likely to be a few outtakes in the vault which could maybe make it a worthwhile project.

Thanks for the heads up. I have this cd! I must conduct a search for it. Haven't listened to it in years.
    Just given this album a listen. It is fairly generic 80's soul. Nothing wrong with that of course. Worth a listen if you are a Pickett fan.

Another non-Motown suggestion, but what about William Bell protege Janice Bulluck? I don't think her lone album has ever made it to CD.

I'd love to see The Blackberrys recordings [[though it was never released). Another I'd love to see [[non-Motown) would be "Hot Butterfly" by The Sweet Inspirations.