[REMOVE ADS]

Saw this a few days ago....what can I say? It is her own song, and I'd rather hear Susaye sing it than someone else....I get no group feeling from this unit at all. I always feel like I'm watching 3 solo performers....my loyalty to the FLO's more or less ended when Jean left....even though I am a huge Scherrie Payne fan

Ouch!
    sadly not good..too shrill.
    i don’t feel this line up as a group at all.
    like previous poster I feel like I’m watching 3 solo performers

not sure what clip everyone is watching but i think this was quite strong. certainly didn't feel like 3 solo performers. Joyce and Scherrie are ably singing their background parts while swaying and standing that their mic stands. Susaye was obviously singing lead. sound was a little fuzzy as its an iphone capturing this and there's background noise. And maybe Susaye could have worked the stage a little more - but then maybe there just wasn't much room for walking all around

This is very nice. The sound guy needs to turn up all of their mics though.

I can't get behind Susaye or even Lynda 100% as Supremes....simply b/c I love Cindy so much! they both had very strong voices that stood out too much live IMHO for the group setting. Susaye could and often is shrill, and Lynda could be piercing...however:

High Energy live from the '76 Montreaux performance is superb.

And I am a big fan of many of the solo cuts Lynda did for Ian Levine's Motorcity project...Forever Came Today, If This World Were Mine, Living With A Married Man...all great.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I can't get behind Susaye or even Lynda 100% as Supremes....simply b/c I love Cindy so much! they both had very strong voices that stood out too much live IMHO for the group setting. Susaye could and often is shrill, and Lynda could be piercing...however:

High Energy live from the '76 Montreaux performance is superb.

And I am a big fan of many of the solo cuts Lynda did for Ian Levine's Motorcity project...Forever Came Today, If This World Were Mine, Living With A Married Man...all great.
    i do recognize what you're saying. there's a difference being a lead voice and a harmonizing voice. out of all the Sup lineups, i think M and C had the best blend. Even Flo could be a bit piercing. M and C worked so well because 1) their tones just blended together beautifully and 2) they typically sang the bottom and middle notes. This allows for a lead to sing the top soprano line and have a unique sound which can sort of "ride" on that gorgeous cushion M and C established.

L, S, S, J, D and even F really had the vocal tones and sounds more suited for lead

Florence in the background was very important to making those early classic Supremes hits and album tracks

The Diana Florence blend was by far the best

Mary could blend with all the ladies of the Supremes. My favorite blend is Flo and Mary, Cindy and Mary and Diana and Mary. Mary and Diana had a great blend. Listen Wha Becomes of the broken hearted and People the Rooster tail show.

Had the Supremes gone on after Mary Wilson left in 1977, this is the grouping that the trio would have been. The complaints on the final grouping with Mary, Scherrie & Susaye was that it felt like 3 lead singers and not a group. Mary was always the vocal anchor and provided the ability to blend in harmony and background vocals. Scherrie has a dynamic voice that is powerful and distinctive, being the last "official lead singer". That being said, I have read that Susaye came into the group being told she would sing lead and be able to write songs. Joyce has been a background vocalist that can easily switch to singing lead and has backed Scherrie before. Perhaps their blend is not as strong as with Mary or the previous groupings with Mary blending with Flo and Cindy. Susaye has a powerful and distinctive voice, she has a beautiful sense on how to adlib to bring more power to a song, which makes the groupings seem less like a group. But, as Mary Wilson stated in the 70's CD-Susaye was an excellent vocalist and when she put her vocals on that, it lifted that thing all the way up. Scherrie is more like Flo in that she is just a powerhouse vocalist. Susaye is distinctive in the way that Diana and Jean were,her voice cuts through because it is more distinct and less of a voice that blends with other vocalists for harmony and background. Still, High Energy is Susaye's song with the Supremes to sing.

That is not the best performance of the ladies that I've watched, but I do hope that they keep the Supreme legacy alive and they introduce more of the songs they recorded into the act to let casual fans who are only there for the 60's hits about the final 70's incarnation of the group .