[REMOVE ADS]

From the theater's own publicity/press release: " ... the play gives a fictionalized account of the final year of the troubled Motown singer" ... and "This is a dramatic fiction and many theatrical liberties have been taken." In other words, more stuff somebody made up. In the playwright's own words "I even listened to a psychic reading that someone did on Ballard just to try and learn who she was." Soooo ...
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 01-28-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    From the theater's own publicity/press release: " ... the play gives a fictionalized account of the final year of the troubled Motown singer" ... and "This is a dramatic fiction and many theatrical liberties have been taken." In other words, more stuff somebody made up. In the playwright's own words "I even listened to a psychic reading that someone did on Ballard just to try and learn who she was." Soooo ...
    LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Remember when Dionne Warwick hosted that psycic hotline. Such a scam. LOL

Oh my Lord... no comment. And this doesn't do Florence Ballard any justice.

Sounds like something someone on this here forum might dream up. I'm not mentioning any names!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Sounds like something someone on this here forum might dream up. I'm not mentioning any names!!!
    We know dear. We all know. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Remember when Dionne Warwick hosted that psycic hotline. Such a scam. LOL
    Certainly do. A sorry side-track for an otherwise elegant career.

Even the ticket seller, Eventbright, sees fit to issue this message:

"Award Winning Playwright and Director Vincent Victoria offers a new play about the last days of original Supreme Florence Ballard. Set in Detroit in 1975 the play gives a fictionalized account of the final year of the troubled Motown singer who died in poverty in 1976 at the age of 32.

*****Disclaimer:The story of Florence Ballard and The Supremes is a real life fairytale that happened in the 1960's and has been well documented in books and movies. The characters in this play are based on the many truths and half truths told over the years about the real life people they are based on. This is a dramatic fiction and many theatrical liberties have been taken. ****"

In other words ... somebody made more stuff up about Florence. Sounds like 'Grey Gardens Goes to Detroit'. Let's hope it's better than it's seeming.

Dionne…...a comedienne once commented: "Why didn't one of her psychic friends step up and tell her "Girl, don't take that reefer on the plane"....wasn't that episode the end of her physic connection?....cant fault Dionne....celebrities get paid a lot for endorsement. if you enjoy it, toke on Dionne!

Unless the subject is involved, these kinds of projects are always a fictionalized account. Sometimes it's based on truth, sometimes it comes out of the imagination of the story teller. In terms of subject matter, I don't see this play as any different than any other play or teleplay about a real person. This is normal stuff. But of course it's about Florence so we must scoff.

The problem I have with this is whether or not Flo's daughters will be compensated for this. I feel like if you're going to go through all this trouble about the lady, the least you could do is give her daughters some compensation. The other thing is understanding that there are people out there who believe everything they see and hear, and with already so many misconceptions about Florence floating around, it sucks to know there's a possibility that more are on the way.

Hopefully the play turns out brilliantly and may even bring renewed interest in such an interesting lady.

At this stage, no one will get paid; and what this generates will be insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    what this generates will be insignificant.
    But I bet we get 300 threads about it.

At this stage, no one will get paid; and what this generates will be insignificant.
    Vincent Victoria is getting paid. Nobody puts this kind of time and attention into a play for free. Those tickets are going for 25 bucks a seat. I don't care if he only sells one ticket. He should be passing on a couple dollars to this lady's daughters. Did he even consult them? Will they even get some free tickets to see his show about their mother?

Digging into this dude, he appears to be a serious playwright. How successful he's been at it is undetermined, but he picks some interesting subject matter. Looks like his last play was "The Disappearance Of Eartha Kitt", which centered on Eartha's blacklisting following her honest thoughts about the Vietnam War during a gathering at LBJ's White House, where she reportedly made Lady Bird Johnson cry. I would've actually been interested in seeing such a play. His first play was about Hattie McDaniel. He also did one on Josephine Baker and apparently had plans to do Booker T Washington and Lena Horne. Whether or not the last two plays have been done yet, I couldn't determine. So there's hope that this play won't disgrace the legacy of Florence Ballard, although I'm a bit concerned that he says he's a huge Diana Ross fan and had to "fall in love" with Flo, which wasn't easy because of his Diana fandom, he says. Knowing how psychotic the Diana cult can be, this could turn into more "lazy, fat, uninspired, mentally ill, alcoholic, self inflated egotistical Florence" nonsense. But if he truly fell in love with Flo, there's hope that the play will be a worthy footnote to her story. Fingers crossed.

Probably. But I'll do my part to assure this by creating at least 275 of them. I figure if the play does well, Marv will post the remaining 25, and if it tanks, the person with the ironic screen name will take up the slack, in addition to giving us weekly non-sales figures.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    But I'll do my part to assure this by creating at least 275 of them
    Drama queen.

Drama queen.
    Ah, the title of my latest book! Drama Queen: My Life As A Member Of Soulful Detroit, co written by Patricia Romanowski. Look for it in bargain bins near you.

Ah, the title of my latest book! Drama Queen: My Life As A Member Of Soulful Detroit, co written by Patricia Romanowski. Look for it in bargain bins near you.
    Are we going to have to create a SD ghetto just for you? Is that what this is coming to? I want to be the first to say that I saw it coming.

Vincent Victoria is getting paid. Nobody puts this kind of time and attention into a play for free. Those tickets are going for 25 bucks a seat. I don't care if he only sells one ticket. He should be passing on a couple dollars to this lady's daughters. Did he even consult them? Will they even get some free tickets to see his show about their mother?

Digging into this dude, he appears to be a serious playwright. How successful he's been at it is undetermined, but he picks some interesting subject matter. Looks like his last play was "The Disappearance Of Eartha Kitt", which centered on Eartha's blacklisting following her honest thoughts about the Vietnam War during a gathering at LBJ's White House, where she reportedly made Lady Bird Johnson cry. I would've actually been interested in seeing such a play. His first play was about Hattie McDaniel. He also did one on Josephine Baker and apparently had plans to do Booker T Washington and Lena Horne. Whether or not the last two plays have been done yet, I couldn't determine. So there's hope that this play won't disgrace the legacy of Florence Ballard, although I'm a bit concerned that he says he's a huge Diana Ross fan and had to "fall in love" with Flo, which wasn't easy because of his Diana fandom, he says. Knowing how psychotic the Diana cult can be, this could turn into more "lazy, fat, uninspired, mentally ill, alcoholic, self inflated egotistical Florence" nonsense. But if he truly fell in love with Flo, there's hope that the play will be a worthy footnote to her story. Fingers crossed.
    Let's hope so Ran.... Florence surely deserves it. Thanks for the background info.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Im gonna check the bargain bin at Costco next month.

Too bad their aren't royalties, here!

Too bad their aren't royalties, here!
    Oh, but there are.

Hmmm... that is interesting... let's hope she's respected even if it's fictional. I'm always skeptical when the musical/film is based on a fictional account of a music legend.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Hmmm... that is interesting... let's hope she's respected even if it's fictional. I'm always skeptical when the musical/film is based on a fictional account of a music legend.
    I would say that they all are fictionalized, use poetic liscense, invent scenes that were said behind closed doors, combine real wives or husbands into one fictional wife or husband, and invent characters that never existed. Proof positive would be the movies and plays about Billie Holiday, Fannie Brice, Al Jolson, Judy Garland, Glenn Miller, The Dorsey Brothers, Tina Turner, the Temptations, .....and the list goes on.

But you know what? I enjoy them all and can usually remove fact from fiction. If not, it encourages me to do some research to see if something in the production really was fact or fiction.

If this show were in my area, I would go to see it

Hmm, those are some great points. I know the Tina film had me looking more into Tina Turner and I was already a big fan by then lol

... if the name 'Marvin Gaye' is uttered the family can sue ... Oops. Did I type that out loud?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    ... if the name 'Marvin Gaye' is uttered the family can sue ... Oops. Did I type that out loud?
    Keep it up and you'll be in Ran's ghetto.

I’m just curious, outside of here in the “real world” Is there really much of a demand for this?

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    I’m just curious, outside of here in the “real world” Is there really much of a demand for this?
    What's this "real world" you speak of? When I look out my window its 1965, the girls are on the top of the charts, I hear they are working on a more "symphonic" album next, and they'll be together forever. Their fans are united in their love of the girls and there is no stopping us now.

Are we going to have to create a SD ghetto just for you? Is that what this is coming to? I want to be the first to say that I saw it coming.
    Uh, news flash bruh, the Supremes forum is the SD ghetto. Didn't you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Let's hope so Ran.... Florence surely deserves it. Thanks for the background info.
    I agree Ollie. It's still so interesting that this lady is still remembered all of these years later. Dare I say she's become "bigger" in death than she did in life, aside from her popularity as a Supreme. There's something sad about that, but I like to think Flo would get a kick out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Im gonna check the bargain bin at Costco next month.
    Not sure my publishers have been able to get me into Costco just yet my friend. I had to raise hell the other day when I found out they were shipping units to Toys R Us and Sears. What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I would say that they all are fictionalized, use poetic liscense, invent scenes that were said behind closed doors, combine real wives or husbands into one fictional wife or husband, and invent characters that never existed. Proof positive would be the movies and plays about Billie Holiday, Fannie Brice, Al Jolson, Judy Garland, Glenn Miller, The Dorsey Brothers, Tina Turner, the Temptations, .....and the list goes on.

But you know what? I enjoy them all and can usually remove fact from fiction. If not, it encourages me to do some research to see if something in the production really was fact or fiction.

If this show were in my area, I would go to see it
    My feelings exactly Milven. There's always dramatic license, and I understand it. What pisses me off is when that license is misused to spread an erroneous narrative, which is then picked up by the "masses" and taught as fact.

Keep it up and you'll be in Ran's ghetto.
    Nah, we good over here.

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    Probably as much demand as any local theater subject. This isn't being prepped for Broadway. However, a good story is a good story. You create enough buzz, get enough backers, hire enough talent and demand grows and one never knows where it could lead. And I guess the playwright thought there was enough interest to put it together where he lives.

What's this "real world" you speak of? When I look out my window its 1965, the girls are on the top of the charts, I hear they are working on a more "symphonic" album next, and they'll be together forever. Their fans are united in their love of the girls and there is no stopping us now.
    That's fantasyland, not the real world. The real world is it's 2020, Diana Ross slept her way to the top, wasn't satisfied with that so she killed poor Flo. Mary Wilson became the greatest star that never was, all the while Diana was being mean to her. Mary wrote a bestselling book whose only truth is the part that says "My name is Mary Wilson". Everybody whose ever existed is jealous of Diana Ross or owes their existence to said Diana Ross. Mary can't sing. Flo was overrated. Gordy was mean, but he was also a genius. Diana Ross could barely sing and today she's all but forgotten, except when she manufactures news stories like pretending to drink and drive so that she can make headlines, or call the paparazzi to tell them the exact location of her colonoscopy. Meanwhile, Mary Wilson is the most in demand 60s legend in the world. Her shows are selling tickets at a pace that would make Diana's head explode. Diana was the Supremes. The Supremes sucked without her. Flo was the best thing since sliced bread. There has never been a better piece of music than that in which Diana Ross has added a vocal, such as her tour de force performance of "Pieces Of Ice". And the fans are "Chained To Yesterday".

You really ought to get out more.

RIH Florence

That's fantasyland, not the real world. The real world is it's 2020, Diana Ross slept her way to the top, wasn't satisfied with that so she killed poor Flo. Mary Wilson became the greatest star that never was, all the while Diana was being mean to her. Mary wrote a bestselling book whose only truth is the part that says "My name is Mary Wilson". Everybody whose ever existed is jealous of Diana Ross or owes their existence to said Diana Ross. Mary can't sing. Flo was overrated. Gordy was mean, but he was also a genius. Diana Ross could barely sing and today she's all but forgotten, except when she manufactures news stories like pretending to drink and drive so that she can make headlines, or call the paparazzi to tell them the exact location of her colonoscopy. Meanwhile, Mary Wilson is the most in demand 60s legend in the world. Her shows are selling tickets at a pace that would make Diana's head explode. Diana was the Supremes. The Supremes sucked without her. Flo was the best thing since sliced bread. There has never been a better piece of music than that in which Diana Ross has added a vocal, such as her tour de force performance of "Pieces Of Ice". And the fans are "Chained To Yesterday".

LMAO. Priceless RanRan79

I got a little dizzy reading it, but i think your post encapsulates SD in one sitting lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    i think your post encapsulates SD in one sitting lol.
    Sad, isn't it?