[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tammi Terrell - 41 Years Today

Usually I don't dwell much on acknowledgments of death anniveraries of those I miss, but two reasons in particular cause me to make an exception today in Tammi's case.

FIRST, there have been so many exciting and overall happy recent developments concerning her growing legacy in recent years, that such an observance isn't draped in negative feelings. In recent years, many great vault releases, especially the "Come On & See Me" masterpiece solo collection, a TV documentary, a newly found "live" Johnny Carson Tonight Show performance, a Philly Walk of Fame induction and her own biography have all been delivered for her fans and music lovers.

SECOND, I happened to find the article linked below while surfing the web a couple of weeks ago. It appeared in the The Afro American, a nationally distributed paper back in the 60's and 70's. It brought back a lot of memories for me since I attended Tammi's huge funeral, seated very close to the front. Rather than sadness for what must be accepted, I feel the love of all of those people who attended in the rain, many because of a real feeling of love for one young artist. The official count was over 5,000 -making it the largest ever for Philly up to that point.

I had been told that Smokey & the Miracles were there, but I didn't see them and this is the first picture I've seen proving it! How great it is to see the great late songwriter Al Cleaveland closely following. Al would later become my buddy. I was only a few months shy of 15 at the time of the funeral. In some ways -many happy- it all still feels like yesterday.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+terrell&hl=en

Thanks for the link Randy, I love seeing vintage items like that. It's so wonderful that you were actually able to be there and pay your respects personally. That's something to treasure always. I was just shy of my 19th birthday when she passed. And I too remember it like yesterday. It was so very sad. I have been pleasantly surprised that not only has she not been forgotten but that her legacy has grown and each new generation has embraced her music. She made and indelible mark for someone so briefly on the scene. She was one of a kind and I miss her, but no longer with saddness. But with gratitude for the incredible recordings she left us to enjoy for all time.

Randy....I'm so glad it was you that put up this acknowledgement of the anniversary of Tammi's passing. There is only one person that loves Tammi more than you, my friend......me [[smile). Thank you so much for that important link.
    John

John & Sophisticated Soul:

Tammi Terrell was pure magic. I almost think the world couldn't have stood what she would have laid upon it given more time. She wasn't merely a result of a lot of great PR and advertising, there was hearty meat mixed in with them potatoes! Those who get it are very fortunate for the experience... and you guys DEFINITELY get it.

It's a pleasure reading that article. Even the style of writing seems to echo from another era. Did anyone else notice though that the writer states that "United" sold a billion copies? Great article, and wonderful photos.

For those of you who might be interested, if you scroll through the paper to the TV Listings in frame 15, you'll see a great photo of some Hollywood luminaries who gathered for a tribute to Martin Luther King. Included in the photo are Charlton Heston, producer/director Joseph Mankiewicz, Leslie Uggams, Sidney Poitier, James Earl Jones, Anthony Quinn, Ben Gazzara, Diahann Carroll, Sammy Davis, Burt Lancaster and others. There's so many interesting pieces in this paper, and this photo is wonderful.
    Last edited by kenneth; 03-18-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Great points ken. That obvious misprint in the article brings to mind something I've often wondered. I recall an article in the Philly Tribune that commemorated the first anniversary of Tammi's death and it mentioned that her "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" had remained one of Motown's big sellers even though some 4 years had by then passed.

Although I'm sure that there will never be a way to really know, I wonder just what informed or merely interested ones would estimate to be the total number of copies of the song officially sold or licensed by the company in all of its various compilations, soundtracks, single issues, etc. The actual number has to be STAGGERING-and it's not done yet. How proud Ms. Tammi would be! [[not to even mention Ashford & Simpson and others)

As far as Smokey & the Miracles being at the funeral,It was stated that none of Tammi's collegues or Employers from Motown besides Marvin, were allowed to attend the services. This was due to the fact that the company did little to protect Tammi from David Ruffin! Those I would think they'd at least invite Ashford & Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    As far as Smokey & the Miracles being at the funeral,It was stated that none of Tammi's collegues or Employers from Motown besides Marvin, were allowed to attend the services. This was due to the fact that the company did little to protect Tammi from David Ruffin! Those I would think they'd at least invite Ashford & Simpson.
    May I ask what David Ruffin did to Tammi Terrell?

Thank you.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    May I ask what David Ruffin did to Tammi Terrell?

Thank you.

Roberta
    They were in an abusive relationship. There was an ugly rumor back then, which still seems to get repeated, that he hit her in the head which led to her brain tumor. Pretty much debunked by official sources, including in the liner notes for the Hip-O Solo Collection. But by all accounts, she was attracted to guys with a mean streak, such as Ruffin and James Brown.
    Last edited by kenneth; 03-18-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    They were in an abusive relationship. There was an ugly rumor back then, which still seems to get repeated, that he hit her in the head which led to her brain tumor. Pretty much debunked by official sources, including in the liner notes for the Hip-O Solo Collection. But by all accounts, she was attracted to guys with a mean streak, such as Ruffin and James Brown.
    Thank you for this information kenneth. If this is true then it is very sad and again if this is true, what could Motown have done to protect Tammi from David Ruffin. Motown was Tammi's employer, not her parents or her bodyguard.

Tammi is in a better place now with her Lord and saviour so mercifully this is all behind her.

Thank you again.

Reberta

Just because something is said on a TV show or even 'validated' by seemingly irrefutable sources never guarantees that the public has the 100% accurate truth in a given matter. Some would be shocked by the simple widely known facts that I've heard ones VERY close to stars get totally wrong... things that average fans know quite well. Then the fans change their beliefs and views because they assume that these close ones HAVE to know what they're talking about. Sometimes true, sometimes not.

When I learned of the Unsung production on Tammi's life, I felt that I knew many interesting facts that needed to be included or presented properly that likely would not be. For whatever reasons, the producers never returned my calls. Not saying that they were necessarily arrogant just for not calling me back, but unfortunately arrogance is too often exhibited in this business by those who mistakenly feel fully justified in doing so. Their beloved projects invariably suffer the consequences.

I think the issue Tammi's mother had with Motown was that they didn't seem to have any regards to her. When Tammi took ill, the company manipulated to public into thinking her illness wasn't as serious as it really was. Martha Reeves stated that Valerie Simpson's vocals were featured on "Easy" because they wanted the female vocal to have a healthier sound. There also seemed to have been some other issues that the family has kept private over the years.

Sorry I've been away for so long. I was in Indiana and had no access to a computer. I was working hard, but in the back of my mind I was thinking about Tammi Terrell. As soon as I got back to my bunk, I began playing all her songs. I actually got a chance to talk to Vickie earlier this week. We had a pretty good conversation. I've been dealing with writer's block for a long time, and I haven't been able to write much. Well, after the advice Vickie gave me, I feel like I can push through it and finish that story.

Keep working at it, Dinelle. We're rooting for you. Good to see you posting again.

Quote Originally Posted by positivesoul View Post
    Usually I don't dwell much on acknowledgments of death anniveraries of those I miss, but two reasons in particular cause me to make an exception today in Tammi's case.

FIRST, there have been so many exciting and overall happy recent developments concerning her growing legacy in recent years, that such an observance isn't draped in negative feelings. In recent years, many great vault releases, especially the "Come On & See Me" masterpiece solo collection, a TV documentary, a newly found "live" Johnny Carson Tonight Show performance, a Philly Walk of Fame induction and her own biography have all been delivered for her fans and music lovers.

SECOND, I happened to find the article linked below while surfing the web a couple of weeks ago. It appeared in the The Afro American, a nationally distributed paper back in the 60's and 70's. It brought back a lot of memories for me since I attended Tammi's huge funeral, seated very close to the front. Rather than sadness for what must be accepted, I feel the love of all of those people who attended in the rain, many because of a real feeling of love for one young artist. The official count was over 5,000 -making it the largest ever for Philly up to that point.

I had been told that Smokey & the Miracles were there, but I didn't see them and this is the first picture I've seen proving it! How great it is to see the great late songwriter Al Cleaveland closely following. Al would later become my buddy. I was only a few months shy of 15 at the time of the funeral. In some ways -many happy- it all still feels like yesterday.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+terrell&hl=en
    Wish there was a way to enlarge the text to read it on my phone. Thanks for sharing.

Tammi of course was a massive talent with huge potential. I really enjoyed reading the article as sad as it was. It would be interesting to know just how many Motown stars were actually in attendance at the funeral.
    Many thanks for posting positivesoul

One small trivia fact about Tammi. She was one of an estimated five people who were at Motown from the state of Pennsylvania. She was the pride of Philadelphia.