[REMOVE ADS]

For Detroit '60s People - Did Bob Schwartz own Enterprise Records and Ruby Records?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sorry to post this question after so many old- time Detroiters from this forum have passed on. I'm sure that Ron Murphy, Joe Hunter, Spyder Turner, and so many others, who are no longer with us, or just don't post here anymore, could have answered all my questions. But, Maybe Ralph, or Dennis, or someone else who was an adult or very late teenager in the '60s can answer for me.

Was Bob Schwartz, manager/producer of The Wonderettes and Sammy Solo, co-owner of Ruby Records and Enterprise Records? If so, who was the other owner [[financier?). Did they also own Dynamics, Cindy, and Heart Records? Were they partners in Different Music Publishing? [[or did Bob own that alone?

Does anyone also remember the group, The Casual-Aires [[who sang "The Millionaire"? If so, do you remember who was in that group? Was Johnny Thornton, husband of Rose Johnson-Thornton [[AKA Rose St. John - lead of The Wonderettes) the lead singer of that group? - or, at least a member?

That group of labels produced a lot of great cuts, like "Delsinia" by The Dynamics, "End of Time" by The Fabulous Egyptians, "The Millionaire" by The Casual-Aires, "Why Did you Go" by The Flints, "Nothin' But Wonderful" by [[Harry) Lee Gates [[ex-lead singer for The Caravelles on "Angry Angel"/"Pink Lips" and The Dramatics' "Toy Soldier", Shirley Lawson [[of The Fascinations)'s "So Much To Me", The Wonderettes' "I Feel Strange", Sam E. Solo's "Love Is Not A Game", and Joe Terry's "She's Cheating On Me".

Does anyone out there remember Johnny Thornton?

Here's one of Schwartz's productions:

Does anyone out there remember Johnny Thornton?[/QUOTE] He was also a songwriter at Motown, as he was one of the writers on The Elgins' "Put Yourself In My Place".
    Anyone remember other Motown songs he wrote?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-25-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Hi Robb; I would suggest that you also post your inquiry in the "DetroitYes" forum. They have sometimes answered occasional questions regarding Detroit music in the 1960's.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Hi Robb; I would suggest that you also post your inquiry in the "DetroitYes" forum. They have sometimes answered occasional questions regarding Detroit music in the 1960's.
Views: 350
    Thanks. I've always figured that anyone interested deeply in obscurities of 1960s Detroit Soul music would already be on SDF.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Here's one of Schwartz's productions:
    I can’t help you at all , but a great record. Thanks for posting.

Robb, in my early Tera Shirma days, Bob was a frequent customer but I don't know what or who he was recording.

s

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Robb, in my early Tera Shirma days, Bob was a frequent customer but I don't know what or who he was recording.
Views: 361
    Probably some of The later Wonderettes' cuts for UA, maybe a Sammy Solo session for Imperial. I don't know who else he had in his "stable" in 1967-70. That's already almost out of my "Heyday" period.
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-27-2020 at 06:39 AM.

You probably know more on this subject than me, Rob.