[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross "Lets Go Up"

Here's my hands down favorite from the Ross83 album. I ignored it until I ran into the live version she did on Johnny Carson after Central Park on Youtube years ago. She killed it on Carson and it forced me to revisit the recorded version and I fell in love with it. Maybe not the best choice of a single, but of course I don't base my favorite songs on such things. Anyway, anyone else a big fan of this one?

Here's the version from Carson. Man I love this vocal.

I am, my favorite on the Ross album, and the Ross album, is on my top 5 albums of hers.

I like the recording but it pales next to the live versions. A bit too slow, I think.

I gather Diana liked it though. When I saw her in '83, it was the only song from ROSS '83 that she sang, even though PIECES OF ICE was the current single. And when I saw her in '84 on her SWEPT AWAY tour, it was still in the act.

seems like Diana was simply too distracted during the Ross sessions to really give it the focus the album needed. She was dealing with the whole Central Park project, trying to get the J Baker moving off the ground, feeling the full brunt of having to manage all of her tour and career details.

Bluebrock mentioned there was some outtakes that, unfortunately, didn't make the lp. Not sure if they're Katz or Parker songs. i'd guess Parker since he only had 2 on the set. while they seem to sort of fit in with the earlier Katz tracks, it's too bad the project wasn't completely assigned to 1 producer. especially after the eclecticism of Silk Electric. having a unified project would have been a plus.

Diana was also really putting her recordings on the back burner. She just doesn't seem too engaged vocally. I like That's How You Start Over. but it seems she sings at only "medium hot" rather than go full gusto with it. there's a little bit of extra energy and ad libs at the very very end. but could use more throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I like the recording but it pales next to the live versions. A bit too slow, I think.

I gather Diana liked it though. When I saw her in '83, it was the only song from ROSS '83 that she sang, even though PIECES OF ICE was the current single. And when I saw her in '84 on her SWEPT AWAY tour, it was still in the act.
    Yes she did like it. Should have been the lead single.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes she did like it. Should have been the lead single.
    Blue - can you explain who really controls the decisions on single selection and album tracks/lineup? obviously while at motown, diana didn't typically have a lot of influence in this. but i thought part of the reason for her moving to RCA was specifically that. the have total control of all aspects of her career. So then why if she wanted a specific song released didn't it happen?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    seems like Diana was simply too distracted during the Ross sessions to really give it the focus the album needed. She was dealing with the whole Central Park project, trying to get the J Baker moving off the ground, feeling the full brunt of having to manage all of her tour and career details.

Bluebrock mentioned there was some outtakes that, unfortunately, didn't make the lp. Not sure if they're Katz or Parker songs. i'd guess Parker since he only had 2 on the set. while they seem to sort of fit in with the earlier Katz tracks, it's too bad the project wasn't completely assigned to 1 producer. especially after the eclecticism of Silk Electric. having a unified project would have been a plus.

Diana was also really putting her recordings on the back burner. She just doesn't seem too engaged vocally. I like That's How You Start Over. but it seems she sings at only "medium hot" rather than go full gusto with it. there's a little bit of extra energy and ad libs at the very very end. but could use more throughout.
    I think she rushed through the recording of ROSS so that it would be ready and out in time for the Central Park concert. I think it is ok but it is far from great. I really feel that's why SWEPT AWAY came out so well because she knew she had to do better.

I really enjoyed ROSS. I played it quite a bit and still go back to it. There is a lot to love on that CD. The Gary Katz produced tracks are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Here's my hands down favorite from the Ross83 album. I ignored it until I ran into the live version she did on Johnny Carson after Central Park on Youtube years ago. She killed it on Carson and it forced me to revisit the recorded version and I fell in love with it. Maybe not the best choice of a single, but of course I don't base my favorite songs on such things. Anyway, anyone else a big fan of this one?

I really enjoy all the Katz produced songs, but as lead single i would definitely have chosen "You Do It". It's extremely radio friendly and sounds a little more traditional Ross. With some decent radio play and a little tv promotion it could have done well..........Me thinks.

LGU is a great one and Diana always did a great job performing it live, as we have discussed 1,467 times before. I know. I counted.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I really enjoyed ROSS. I played it quite a bit and still go back to it. There is a lot to love on that CD. The Gary Katz produced tracks are my favorites.
    A 'here-here', though I'm split between Katz and Parker tracks.

I prefer the Katz songs but I do like Let's Go Up. Maybe a faster mix

Would love a expanded edition of this album

I liked Let's Go Up from the start and thought it should have been the lead single. It's my second favorite track from Ross 83, after You Do It. I prefer all the Gary Katz tracks. Didn't Ray Parker just produce Love Or Loneliness and Up Front? With Girls being produced by Ross herself?

OK - seems everyone gets this song but me. I do think her live vocal here is much better than the record, and thanks to Ran because I would never have watched it again. However, I really don’t dig this song. Would someone PLEASE interpret the lyrics for me? I have no idea what she’s singing about other than staying positive, I guess? This album is way over my head - the only cut I like is that’s how you start over. I wish I liked it. My choice for a lead single would have been You Do It, which makes my rotation every few years. I was so happy when Swept Away came out!

Can someone explain to me the choice of cover photo on Ross? I get the hair-all-out thing she was trying to achieve, but in the photo selected, her eyes are half-closed, and she isn’t smiling. Worse, she’s so poorly lit. Backlighting? For an album cover? Why?

In short, it’s a terrible photo.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Blue - can you explain who really controls the decisions on single selection and album tracks/lineup? obviously while at motown, diana didn't typically have a lot of influence in this. but i thought part of the reason for her moving to RCA was specifically that. the have total control of all aspects of her career. So then why if she wanted a specific song released didn't it happen?
    Diana wanted a certain amount of creative control over her career, and that gave her the opportunity to have a major say in who she worked with, but she did not own the record company and it was the rca executives [[and one in particular) who ultimately decided upon the track listings. Diana recorded a total of 12 tracks for the Ross83 album. 10 tracks were chosen, and then at the last minute this was cut back to 8. That was not Diana's decision, and she was far from happy. She quite rightly felt that it lacked an obvious hit single despite the general quality of the album being of a higher standard than Fools and Silk Electric.
    She never had total control of her career at rca. Hardly any artist has that. Stevie being a notable exception.

Diana wanted a certain amount of creative control over her career, and that gave her the opportunity to have a major say in who she worked with, but she did not own the record company and it was the rca executives [[and one in particular) who ultimately decided upon the track listings. Diana recorded a total of 12 tracks for the Ross83 album. 10 tracks were chosen, and then at the last minute this was cut back to 8. That was not Diana's decision, and she was far from happy. She quite rightly felt that it lacked an obvious hit single despite the general quality of the album being of a higher standard than Fools and Silk Electric.
    She never had total control of her career at rca. Hardly any artist has that. Stevie being a notable exception.
    All very interesting. Diana was right in the fact that there is no obvious hit single on the album. "YDI" i feel had the most potential.
    With the diana album she hit pay dirt. Fans and public alike embraced the funky, soulful songs and the strident vocals. They loved this new M's Ross and wanted more. What they got instead was "So Close" "Up Front" "Pieces Of Ice" [[which i adore) "Mr Lee" etc etc. It was not what the the public wanted or expected from her. Even "LGU" which is a decent song was never never going to be a huge hit.
    "Missing You" should have been an indication as to what direction she should have been going.
    It's almost as if after the diana album she wrote in her diary "Must make sure i never record an album like that ever again".

Lets face it ... without Berry and the Motown machine, she was lost. That dress on the Carson show was horrible, as was the hair.

I tend to think that the songs that aren't on the Ross album are self production. Since I believe she is responsible for making every RCA album, if she spends money on Katz or Parker Jr, then the songs are in the album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yup. If the recording had the pace of the live version, I think it would've made for a better single.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    OK - seems everyone gets this song but me. I do think her live vocal here is much better than the record, and thanks to Ran because I would never have watched it again. However, I really don’t dig this song. Would someone PLEASE interpret the lyrics for me? I have no idea what she’s singing about other than staying positive, I guess?
    I've always interpreted the song as a love song where she's basically telling the dude that this love thing can be hard but together they can make it. It's better than being alone. It's hard out there for a person afraid to love. The darkness of it all is likened to being down, so let's go up. My interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    All very interesting. Diana was right in the fact that there is no obvious hit single on the album. "YDI" i feel had the most potential.
    With the diana album she hit pay dirt. Fans and public alike embraced the funky, soulful songs and the strident vocals. They loved this new M's Ross and wanted more. What they got instead was "So Close" "Up Front" "Pieces Of Ice" [[which i adore) "Mr Lee" etc etc. It was not what the the public wanted or expected from her. Even "LGU" which is a decent song was never never going to be a huge hit.
    "Missing You" should have been an indication as to what direction she should have been going.
    It's almost as if after the diana album she wrote in her diary "Must make sure i never record an album like that ever again".
    I agree with all of this, except for "You Do It" having the most potential, and of course I do not adore "Pieces Of Ice". With the exception of "Fools", Diana's biggest singles in the states at RCA [["Mirror", "Muscles", "Swept Away" and "Missing You") were polar opposites from most of the other singles she released at RCA. You would think she would've recognized this and figured it a priority to record music with at least an r&b edge. Instead she hires the Gibbs to produce the followup to Swept Away. And then when she does go back to "rhythm and blues", it's for an album that IMO doesn't contain any singles that could rival "Mirror" and the others I mentioned in terms of success.

If the Jimmy Webb album situation is what forced the public to completely abandon the Supremes, as has been alleged, then Red Hot RNB has to be that type of album for Diana. The EA album was a misstep, but I think she could've recovered with a strong track list of an album following it. When she didn't, I think the public forever cast her into the "has been" category.

I was so happy when Swept Away came out!
    After the first two RCA albums, I was so happy when ROSS came out!

f the Jimmy Webb album situation is what forced the public to completely abandon the Supremes, as has been alleged, then Red Hot RNB has to be that type of album for Diana. The EA album was a misstep, but I think she could've recovered with a strong track list of an album following it. When she didn't, I think the public forever cast her into the "has been" category.
    I really like [[most of) RHRB but I think you're right, RanRan.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I tend to think that the songs that aren't on the Ross album are self production. Since I believe she is responsible for making every RCA album, if she spends money on Katz or Parker Jr, then the songs are in the album.
    I think at least two were Ray Parker Jnr productions but i would have to consult my diaries to 100% clarify.

I think at least two were Ray Parker Jnr productions but i would have to consult my diaries to 100% clarify.
    can you do this for me 🤗
    I love his production so much

yes so very interesting! i just thought she had much more control. I also thought huge superstars like Whitney, Madonna, etc really owned their careers and could decide what producers to work with, what the album would be composed of, what would be released as a single, etc. Perhaps that's a more recent development with these mega stars. or perhaps i'm just totally in error.

also interesting that the disconnect between Ross and RCA was happening so early on

I agree with all of this, except for "You Do It" having the most potential, and of course I do not adore "Pieces Of Ice". With the exception of "Fools", Diana's biggest singles in the states at RCA [["Mirror", "Muscles", "Swept Away" and "Missing You") were polar opposites from most of the other singles she released at RCA. You would think she would've recognized this and figured it a priority to record music with at least an r&b edge. Instead she hires the Gibbs to produce the followup to Swept Away. And then when she does go back to "rhythm and blues", it's for an album that IMO doesn't contain any singles that could rival "Mirror" and the others I mentioned in terms of success.

If the Jimmy Webb album situation is what forced the public to completely abandon the Supremes, as has been alleged, then Red Hot RNB has to be that type of album for Diana. The EA album was a misstep, but I think she could've recovered with a strong track list of an album following it. When she didn't, I think the public forever cast her into the "has been" category.
    while as a mega fan i enjoy many of the songs on Red Hot, i completely get your point. after the major stumble of EA, she needed to pull together a sure fire hit package. RHRB was most certainly not that. had she been coming off a string of successes, then sure, she could delve into some retrospective of classic r&b. but that's a side project and not a main album directed at returning you to the charts. something you would release around the holidays and a warm fuzzy idea.

Here's the version from Carson. Man I love this vocal.

She looks like she's about to pop in on The Carringtons .... Pull on Diahann Carolls hair !lol!

Seems risky to run out on stage like that , then catch your breathe to sing , but it was no problem for her!

That songs arrangement seems at odds with the vocals , the horns drop down when her voice goes up, and they do that a lot !!

Give Diana credit for bringing exuberance even to an untested song like this. She is a pro and has it down pat. [[prancing about , urging crowd participation , a bit of banter... all in under three minutes.)

A solid performance but as for the song itself ......
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-24-2020 at 02:10 PM.

For me Ross was by far the weakest of Diana's albums for RCA.

There are a lot of fans who love Let's Go Up but there are also a lot who don't like it.

Doesn't do it for me at all as is the case with most of the tracks the best being Love Or Loneliness which is a solid ballad in the Ross pop tradition.

The UK wasted a chance by putting Still In Love [[from Silk Electric) on the B-side of Pieces Of Ice [[as in the US) and losing the potential of a big hit.

IMO "Dirty Looks" killed any enthusiasm for the RHRAB album. So much promo
    for a barely better than average song. It's not a great album, but there are some treasures to be found on it. 87 was most certainly a time when Diana really could have done with a solid, commercial album out there. Here in the UK her profile had dipped extremely low. Something produced by Luther would have come in very handy indeed.
    The way Diana rebounded with the FBTP set suggests that if not America, then Europe at least kept faith with her.
    You obviously like if not adore "LGU" Ran. Do you yourself think it could have been a hit single?? I'm more a "in the darkness your Tunisia" kind of guy myself.

“Dirty Looks” peaked at #12 on Billboard's Hot R&B Singles.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I really liked that record and thought it was a great choice for the first single. It's just too bad that for the second, they went with TELL ME AGAIN instead of IT'S HARD FOR ME TO SAY.

^
    An inspired choice for lead single. At the end of the day the public had their say.
    The song did not chart at all on Billboard top 100 singles chart and reached 49 in the UK. 88 in Canada..... Really set the album up. Such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Chart position is far less important than it being heard and remembered by the mass public. I would bet no one on the face of the earth, outside of this group, ever remembers the song by Diana Ross called Dirty Looks.

Bad record, flop city, no radio airplay!

can you do this for me 🤗
    I love his production so much
    Two Ray Parker productions and two Diana Ross productions Albator.

I think there were 4 songs.......
    1.Sleep with me tonight
    2.Maybe
    3.Full moon ......and I thought....
    4.Fight for it....
    I like most of the tracks. Except ....up front.... cheesey.
    I would have went with You Do It.
    That's how you start over was good.
    Would be great if Diana released the out takes.....

Better than the first two....I think RCA and Diana dropped the ball on this

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Would love a expanded edition of this album
    Ross [[Expanded Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M5565OS..._Al5kEb4AZM60Y

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I would bet no one on the face of the earth, outside of this group, ever remembers the song by Diana Ross called Dirty Looks.
    I would imagine that is very likely Circa. Lead singles are usually [[not always) the key to an albums success."Dirty Looks" at best is a pleasant album track. I have always believed it lost Diana the album. It's a huge shame as Diana was in superb vocal form and there were a sprinkling of good songs to be had.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 01-25-2020 at 05:58 AM. Reason: typing to fast as always.

Ross83 expanded

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    Yes I have this but I was referring to the unreleased 4 tracks.
    Thx

Yes I have this but I was referring to the unreleased 4 tracks.
    Thx
    It seems unlikely they will see the light of day anytime soon. She blocked their inclusion on this expanded edition for various reasons.

Here is what I find, a Ray Parker interview

RCA released "Up Front" as a single. She kind of veered towards rock on that song, which wasn't really her forte as far as radio was concerned.

No, it wasn't her thing. The one I thought was better was "Love or Loneliness". There was just something about the song and the way she sang it. Even when I listen to it now, that's her story right there. I think that's a hit. I had a little Gamble & Huff in there. There were several records they did that had that little guitar octave playing three-note parts. I thought RCA would promote that, but they just let the whole album go. Steely Dan did the rest of the album. They didn't promote those tracks either. It was one of those records that just fell through the cracks, but I always liked "Love or Loneliness
    What was going on at RCA in those days. Kenny Roger said the current board staff wanted to screw all Bob Summer's signed stars. Is it possible
    Last edited by Albator; 01-25-2020 at 05:19 PM.

It seems ....around 1985 ....Barry manilow...pointer sisters....Kenny Rogers...Diana Ross.... And a few others all signed to RCA and within a year all gone. Manilow complained he signed on and all the people he signed him were also gone.

It seems unlikely they will see the light of day anytime soon. She blocked their inclusion on this expanded edition for various reasons.
    Disapointing. If she was upset that these songs were originally cut....it was her chance to fix it they way she wanted. Maybe it's me. But perhaps she has her reasons. But I live how the expanded editions give us a deeper dive into her legacy.

Disapointing. If she was upset that these songs were originally cut....it was her chance to fix it they way she wanted.
    If Diana had originally intended to be release the songs then that would definitely make sense david.........It's all rather contradictory and confusing.

Here is what I find, a Ray Parker interview

What was going on at RCA in those days. Kenny Roger said the current board staff wanted to screw all Bob Summer's signed stars. Is it possible
    It doesn't sound like all was well at rca around this time, but Diana did not help the situation and she brought much of it on herself . That is all i shall say on the subject.

I've always interpreted the song as a love song where she's basically telling the dude that this love thing can be hard but together they can make it. It's better than being alone. It's hard out there for a person afraid to love. The darkness of it all is likened to being down, so let's go up. My interpretation.
    thank You! Not everyone connects with everything but this song really gets at me because it’s so often singled out and I just can’t hear what others are. This album broke my heart when it came out as I only liked track 1..... I’m happy it works for so many of y’all!