[REMOVE ADS]

Best Male soul vocalist of all time

Hard to choose one, but if you had to? Ironically... my choice is nobody from Motown. Actually, my top 3 are nobody from Motown, O.C. Smith, Cuba Gooding, and my favorite is this man. His voice is so rich and beautiful, his talent just cannot be denied... and he has not gotten NEARLY the due he deserves:

Jerry Butler

Jackie Wilson

Just my personal opinion ,but there is no ONE BEST. There is however a BEST CLASS as in a collective , which I consider ,in the
    SOUL catagory which includes ,Jerry Butler ,Walter Jackson ,Jeffery Osborne ,Luther ,Sam Cooke ,Lou Rawls ,Marvin Gaye ,David Ruffin, Smokey Robinson ,Eddie Kendricks ,Levi Stubbs ,Michael Jackson ,El Debarge ,Teddy Pendergrass ,Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson, Phillipe Wynn ,Jon Lucien ,Ron Isley ,Bobby Womack............. just to name a few.
    The "BEST" would be one that stands alone ,without any peers or favorites of his own. A "DEVO" , so to speak.

Actually Jillfoster .. CUBA GOODING did record for Motown between 1978 and 1983, as related in this Soulwalking article about him ..

http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/cuba%20gooding.html

If I had to choose just one then my personal favourite Soul singer would have to be TYRONE DAVIS.

Roger

For me...always Levi Stubbs first and then Shorty Long and then Dennis Edwards.

Living singer is J.Blackfoot IMHO.

Levi Stubbs, Ronnie Dyson, Jerry Butler.

Cool Best Male Vocalists

Ali Ollie Woodson and Theo Peoples

My Top 5:
    Levi Stubbs
    Luther Vandross
    Sam Cooke
    Jackie Wilson
    Marvin Gaye
    Last edited by marv2; 03-16-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Luther Vandross
    Donny Hathoway
    Paul Williams
    Eddie Kendricks

Billy Stewart. I'm hoping all his United Artists and Chess recordings will be released soon.

Smile

There is however a BEST CLASS as in a collective , which I consider ,in the
    SOUL catagory
    I love all the artists mentioned and have records, cd's, tapes by them all. I like to look at them as being the best at what they did during the time that they did it. I have personal favorites like everyone else but my list would be in the hundreds and that would be extremely hard for me to whittle down to a top ten, I truly believe that I am incapable of getting down to just one as the best. Therefore I shall salute them all and wish all of you luck in deciding whatever it is that you decide.

PS: that Al Wilson cut, appears to me that he lowered his voice an octave and is eerily reminiscent of Lou Rawls who hasn't been mentioned yet and he was a fine singer who sang everything from Chicago Soul to Philly Love songs. Eddie Levert and his son belong in this patheon too, like I said folks, you got me on this one, way to tuff.......have fun...lol....

It's subjective...based on your own likes and preferences. I agree, there is no best of all time, but rather who you prefer personally. Like Paladin says, this is WAY too tough to try and call, so I won't even TRY.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Just my personal opinion ,but there is no ONE BEST. There is however a BEST CLASS as in a collective , which I consider ,in the
    SOUL catagory which includes ,Jerry Butler ,Walter Jackson ,Jeffery Osborne ,Luther ,Sam Cooke ,Lou Rawls ,Marvin Gaye ,David Ruffin, Smokey Robinson ,Eddie Kendricks ,Levi Stubbs ,Michael Jackson ,El Debarge ,Teddy Pendergrass ,Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson, Phillipe Wynn ,Jon Lucien ,Ron Isley ,Bobby Womack............. just to name a few.
    daddyacey, I think that your personal opinion is shared by many and definitely by me. I agree with all of the names mentioned on this thread and could passionately list many more. However, as much as I love the talents of each, for me personally Mr. Gaye is King of Vocalists.

Bobby Womack!

Yea but its fun to pick like the Oscars! David Ruffin.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_postman View Post
    Billy Stewart. I'm hoping all his United Artists and Chess recordings will be released soon.
    United Artists? OKeh, but surely not UA?
    Have tried to license Billy's Chess sides for re-issue on Shout, but Universal are not sure if original masters exist. Still trying.

Best singers include Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson and Johnny Adams, Jerry Butler also in there with Lenny Welch and Roy Hamilton

Whilst I have no preference between [other than who I happen to be listening to at the time is usually my favourite] Otis Redding, Tyrone Davis, Marvin Gaye, Ben E King, David Ruffin, Johnnie Taylor, Bobby Womack, Sam Cooke, Al Wilson, Walter Jackson, Eddie Kendricks, Phillipe Wynn, Eddie Levert, Teddy Pendergrass, Johnny Bristol, Sam Dees, Lenny Williams, Greg Perry, OC Smith & probably a few more glaring omissions, when asked the one who always comes out on top is Jerry Butler & has done ever since his wonderful "The Ice Man Cometh" & "Ice On Ice" LPs.

Wow a tough one but a good one,if i had to choose one i would after much thought say.......marvin gaye,followed very closely by-jackie wilson-clyde mcphatter-david ruffin-luther-lou rawls-billy stewart-jerry butler-dennis edwards-teddy p.-al green-walter jackson...and if you're speaking of soul in it's rawest form then you the soul masters-james brown-wilson pickett-otis redding-percy sledge,and no i didn't forget maybe the best of em all...sam cooke!

Quote Originally Posted by CliveR View Post
    United Artists? OKeh, but surely not UA?
    Have tried to license Billy's Chess sides for re-issue on Shout, but Universal are not sure if original masters exist. Still trying.
    Clive, I forgot all about his OKeh single. So, you're not familiar with the single he released with United Artists in, I think, 1961?

It's A Fine Time b/w Young In Years [[United Artists 340)

Here's a single discography to prove it was released on United Artists: http://www.globaldogproductions.info...s-101-999.html

Here's the two sides on the tube:
    This Is A Fine Time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt4jHzELIXY
    Young In Years - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IZb_76vU0s

I'm so happy you guys over at Cherry Red/Shout are considering a Billy Stewart compilation. You have my full support and I wish you all luck on the project. Let's hope it gets done, and thanks for the wonderful releases you're putting out!

wonder_woman Guest
    Sam "Little Sonny" Edwards [[The Intruders lead singer)
    Isaac Hayes
    Barry White
    Teddy Pendergrass
    Lou Rawls
    Walter Jackson
    Jerry Butler
    Sam Dees

I'd also like to add:

Peabo Bryson
    Barry White
    Jeffrey Osborne
    Teddy Pendergrass

I think the Billy Stewart on U.A label is a c&w singer not the Fatboy.

My top 3 SOLO [[as the title said) artists are:

Sam Cooke
    Smokey Robinson
    Marvin Gaye

Yes, they were in groups, but forged very strong solo careers. I think another thread is best lead singer in a group, and in that category my top 3 would be: Levi Stubbs, David Ruffin and a tie with Bobbie Smith and Eddie Levert ... and for the record, I like my group lead singers better than my solo lead singers.

Anyone mentioned Wilson Pickett?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  21.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I think the Billy Stewart on U.A label is a c&w singer not the Fatboy.
    That is absolutely correct. If that voice is THE Billy Stewart of "Sitting In The Park", I'm The King of England!

I didn't say I was finished , ...........Marvin Junior ,Harry Ray ,David Ruffin ,Clyde McPhatter ,Chuck Jackson.
    I noticed that all the artists that are listed, have an individual and unique voice and style ,instantly identified when heard. There are more associated with the mid 60's to the late 70's ,which is the time span in which the R&B/SOUL genre developed and through the early period of the spin-offs of Funk/Dance/Disco. All of them represent the same equal merit as being unique and individual as Soul Singers. It all comes down to personal preff.

mikey and Robb, I've seen the UA single mentioned among Billy's OKeh and Chess recordings like it was the same person on several places. Oh well. While I do hear considerable difference between the UA vocals and Billy's usual, I can't determine for sure that it's not the same person. The vocalist singing on the UA cuts sound like a restrained and restrictive Billy to me, tilting for the Pop/Popcorn side of the spectrum, which indeed was what UA mostly were putting out during 1961 and 1962 when both UA cuts were recorded and released. In any case, how and where can I learn about this country singer Billy Stewart?

1. Sam Cooke
    2. Otis Redding
    3. David Ruffin [[what a voice!!!)
    4. Luther Vandross [[my late mom's favorite!!!)
    5. Barry White
    6. Levi Stubbs
    7. Jackie Wilson
    8. Issac Hayes
    9. Marvin Gaye
    10. Al Green [[It wasn't Labor Day at my late uncle's without Al Green!!!)

For me it has to be Jimmy Ruffin.

Views: 1299
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_postman View Post
    mikey and Robb, I've seen the UA single mentioned among Billy's OKeh and Chess recordings like it was the same person on several places. Oh well. While I do hear considerable difference between the UA vocals and Billy's usual, I can't determine for sure that it's not the same person. The vocalist singing on the UA cuts sound like a restrained and restrictive Billy to me, tilting for the Pop/Popcorn side of the spectrum, which indeed was what UA mostly were putting out during 1961 and 1962 when both UA cuts were recorded and released. In any case, how and where can I learn about this country singer Billy Stewart?
    I've also seen that UA single listed many times with all Billy Stewart's singles. I've also seen many grievous and silly errors printed in "official" sources. That is NOT the Okeh/Chess Billy Stewart. When did he have time to cultivate a WASPISH "white-bread" accent, and take lessons to change his voice? All it takes is one "somewhat respected" "expert" to list the 45 with an artist's discography, and hundreds of others will copy it. THEN, it becomes official. If all those "sources" have it listed, it MUST be correct!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1364
    That is absolutely correct. If that voice is THE Billy Stewart of "Sitting In The Park", I'm The King of England!
    Hi Robb .. remembering how you contributed to the recent "geneaology" thread this comment got me a bit concerned ..

Have you discovered some ancient connection?

Will Prince William and Kate Middleton have to move their proposed nuptuals to Basildon registry office.

Will Her Majesty and hubby Phillip have to start looking for a bedsit in Balham?

Will banknotes, postage stamps and coins have to be redesigned?

Would your claim predate the union of the English and Scottish crowns, and what would be the constitutional implications of this?

However, having listened to those You Tube clips of the United Artists single by BILLY STEWART I now have now worries at all..

If that is the same BILLY STEWART who was on Chess and had a U.K. hit with "Summertime" then I'm a member of THE ANDANTES!!

Roger

Hi Mr Postman:I've got a promo copy of the UA single but I can't put my hand on it as my records are in a mess.It is definitely not the Fatboy.

Views: 1240
    I'm glad several of you are using your ears, and not taking the "word" of Internet sources that may have copied such "information" from a single original incorrect source.

Views: 1293
    With all the hubub over Billy Stewart, I forgot to address the O.P.'s point. There were way too many great male Soul vocalists to choose just one. I like Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke, Jerry Butler, Richard Street, Rudy Lewis, David and Jimmy Ruffin, Ray Pollard, and a lot of others. I can't single one out as "The Best".

Here's my little incomplete list:

Teddy Pendergrass
    Al Green
    Lou Rawls
    Philip Bailey
    Marvin Gaye
    Hamish Sterwart
    James Dewar
    M9ichael jackson
    R. Kelly
    David Ruffin

This is a very funny thread. The Billy Stewart stuff was killing me and I keep hearing someone doing a Muhammad Ali impression and repeating the phrase "I'm the greatest OF ALL TIME!"....Hope nobody mixing up the two George Clintons,
    Otis Williams, Grace Kellys or other famous people who've have the same name...I have to agree with robb, I can't pick one
    but I did see at least one mentioned I've never heard of. I'm going to have to check out James Dewar, soulster...

Well as they say there is Levi Stubbs and all the rest

MEL CARTER! Have you seen him in concert? FABULOUSLY GIFTED SINGER!
    Bobby Sheen
    Billy Stewart
    David Ruffin

and Lenny Welch; Bobby Hatfield.

My favorites are Dennis Edwards, Levi Stubbs, Marvin Junior, followed by hundreds more. It is hard to say someone is the "best" at what they do when it comes to the arts.

My favourite male singer is Joe Harris, of The Undisputed Truth.

My favourite female singer is the incredible Gladys Knight.

Johnny Mathis has such a great voice that he stands out among the rest.

I don't know if he qualifies as a soul vocalist, but I also chose Johnny Mathis. He is my favorite male vocalist of any genre. Still sounding great at 75!
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 04-25-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Here's an article about Johnny I just read the other day.....

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...same-spot.html

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Here's an article about Johnny I just read the other day.....

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...same-spot.html

Thanks for the link Kdub, interesting viewpoint to the article. My Mom just loved him [[all of her life), so very early on I was listening to his music. And as I got older I developed my own continuing interest in his work. As the article points he has been a versatile artist, but I think that the beauty and distinctive quality of his voice is such that regardless of whatever genre he approaches you hear a Johnny Mathis performance first. It’s his style. I love his latest album [[Fall 2010) "Let It Be Me: Mathis in Nashville”. These classic country songs and his classic voice and style work very well together. His voice has aged amazingly well, like I said he sounds great at 75.

Glad you enjoyed the article and he still sounds amazing. My Mom loved him too....

Kdubya

The most powerful soul singer of all time has got to be Marvin Junior of the Dells.