[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson, National Anthem, San Diego Chargers 1994

Here is a nice throwback:

Mary sounds strong and powerful here. The anthem really suits her voice.

That ain’t no background singer! Just fantastic. Thank you Marv.

^
    When attempting to sing material that is really not suited to her style of voice, Mary can perhaps on occasion sound a little like a background singer trying her best. When given the right kind of musical setting that lends itself to her smoky, sultry yet powerful vocals she can prove phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    That ain’t no background singer! Just fantastic. Thank you Marv.
    You're most welcome Luke! She is just great...... period!

excellent performance. very well done .

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is a nice throwback:

Nice, despite singing such a bullshit song.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    ^
    When attempting to sing material that is really not suited to her style of voice, Mary can perhaps on occasion sound a little like a background singer trying her best. When given the right kind of musical setting that lends itself to her smoky, sultry yet powerful vocals she can prove phenomenal.
    I agree Ollie. But I think that's true for most vocalists. IMO it's the rare singer who can sing anything and still sound good, even if the song itself sucks. Diana needed material to suit her talents. When she was given the wrong stuff, whatever limits she has a vocalist becomes glaringly obvious. Mary is the same way. Wrong song and it's not hard to understand why she may not be the most famous Supreme. Right song and you're left scratching your head regarding why she had no singles success post Supremes. The lady has a wonderful instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree Ollie. But I think that's true for most vocalists. IMO it's the rare singer who can sing anything and still sound good, even if the song itself sucks. Diana needed material to suit her talents. When she was given the wrong stuff, whatever limits she has a vocalist becomes glaringly obvious. Mary is the same way. Wrong song and it's not hard to understand why she may not be the most famous Supreme. Right song and you're left scratching your head regarding why she had no singles success post Supremes. The lady has a wonderful instrument.
    Diana has the perfect pop voice. A light, lilting sound that is extremely commercial. She can adapt her voice to varying musical genres without sounding uncomfortable. Even when the style of song is not really suited to her, she more often than not turns out an ok performance..... I would not really say the same of the lovely Mary.
    Mary has the perfect pipes for jazz/soulful ballads....Even anthems lol.
    When attempting material that is to pop oriented she often come across as uninspired and soulless, regardless of how good the song is.
    Having said that, when performing within a sympathetic musical setting she is more than capable of turning out a performance to out shine the legendary M's Ross..........Although i am sure there are those who might disagree.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 01-20-2020 at 07:07 AM.

Diana has the perfect pop voice. A light, lilting sound that is extremely commercial. She can adapt her voice to varying musical genres without sounding uncomfortable. Even when the style of song is not really suited to her, she more often than not turns out an ok performance..... I would not really say the same of the lovely Mary.
    When attempting material that is to pop oriented she often come across as uninspired and soulless, regardless of how good the song is.
    Having said that, when performing within a sympathetic musical setting she is more than capable of turning out a performance to out shine the legendary M's Ross..........Although i am sure there are those who might disagree.
    I agree re: MW. Her most dynamic performances are the slow, sultry soul and jazz numbers. “Touch” really kicked that off IMHO. Even today, in an intimate setting, she excels on her jazz covers. Regarding “pop”, dare I say she even sounds awkward leading some of the Supremes hits? Maybe I’m just too used to expecting Jean or Diana. I realize she’s got to keep them in her act because of the recognizability and association but they’re often the weakest link for me. Diana still has that giggly, girlish, lithe appeal about her that gives her live versions a seamless 50 year performance run.

Diana had the ability to sing any genre. I've stated that on more than one occasion. And that ability made her very special. She did not, however, have the ability to sing any song. And when given the wrong song- like "Over the Rainbow"- her shortcomings are on full display. There are occasions when it's hard to argue against the naysayers who knock her instrument, although for my personal taste that occasion is very few and far between. The lady could sing her ass off, even if it was often in a different way than, for instance, how Aretha sang her ass off. But she definitely needed the right material to show her full capabilities. Mary needed the same thing. And when she didn't have it, her lead singing work was subpar. Florence too.

Unhappy

Diana had the ability to sing any genre. I've stated that on more than one occasion. And that ability made her very special. She did not, however, have the ability to sing any song. And when given the wrong song- like "Over the Rainbow"- her shortcomings are on full display. There are occasions when it's hard to argue against the naysayers who knock her instrument, although for my personal taste that occasion is very few and far between. The lady could sing her ass off, even if it was often in a different way than, for instance, how Aretha sang her ass off. But she definitely needed the right material to show her full capabilities. Mary needed the same thing. And when she didn't have it, her lead singing work was subpar. Florence too.
    Diana's 60's version of "Over The Rainbow" is interesting........Unfortunately not in a very good way.
    On first play, my cat bolted for the door and i have sadly seen hide nor hair of him since.

Diana's 60's version of "Over The Rainbow" is interesting........Unfortunately not in a very good way.
    On first play, my cat bolted for the door and i have sadly seen hide nor hair of him since.
    That's how I felt upon hearing it for the first time. I just went back to give it a listen in order to make sure my opinion has remained the same. Listening now, I realize that the real problem isn't the song itself but the key it's in. It's cut too high for Diana. She's trying to float over the melody in her usual way, but she's reaching and she sounds like an old lady out in her garden, not an animal in sight.

Diana's voice is thin and relatively high. Some use her thinness of voice as somehow lacking, but I disagree with that. Some voices are full, some are thin, but not all full voices are great voices, and vice versa. But Diana's thinness could sometimes be paired with the wrong song or wrong arrangement. "Blowin In the Wind", "A Change Gonna Come", "You", are just a couple that spring immediately to mind. They do not highlight her strengths at all.

Mary's groove was definitely the ballads. While I'm not a fan of "Baby Don't Go", there's no denying Mary's vocal abilities on it. She turns out wonderful on "The Tears" and "Sunset". Up tempo, I dig what she did with "Davy Crockett". She didn't come across sluggish, insecure, or soulless, which is the opposite of what happened when she was given "Come And Get These Memories". I think Flo should've sung it, but if Mary had to do it, it should've been re-worked into a ballad, which I think Mary might have done wonders with.

Flo had a voice that was more suited to tearing into a fast paced number. Most of her shining moments as a lead singer were on "Buttered Popcorn" and "Good News", two numbers that really rock and jump. Mary was better suited to stuff like "Save Me A Star" and "Heavenly Father". Of course Flo had her ballad moments also, like "Oh Holy Night", which is gorgeous, and her part in "Makes No Difference Now", which she really gets into. She should've done the whole song, although each girl was good on it.

My point is, as talented vocalists, singers need attention and everything to work together for the best possible creative outcome. Diana's body of work- from "Tears Of Sorrow" to "I Love You"- is a great illustration of how someone can go from a good, natural singer on "forgettable" songs, to one of the best to ever do it on songs forever etched into the fabric of a collective memory. Sadly, Flo's body of work was first mostly used on background work and then her solo stuff was interrupted by pitfalls, mental issues and finally death. Mary's was interrupted by poor management, insecurity and a reliance on drama, although outside of the recording studio, she has managed to come into her own as a vocalist.

That's how I felt upon hearing it for the first time. I just went back to give it a listen in order to make sure my opinion has remained the same. Listening now, I realize that the real problem isn't the song itself but the key it's in. It's cut too high for Diana. She's trying to float over the melody in her usual way, but she's reaching and she sounds like an old lady out in her garden, not an animal in sight.

Diana's voice is thin and relatively high. Some use her thinness of voice as somehow lacking, but I disagree with that. Some voices are full, some are thin, but not all full voices are great voices, and vice versa. But Diana's thinness could sometimes be paired with the wrong song or wrong arrangement. "Blowin In the Wind", "A Change Gonna Come", "You", are just a couple that spring immediately to mind. They do not highlight her strengths at all.

Mary's groove was definitely the ballads. While I'm not a fan of "Baby Don't Go", there's no denying Mary's vocal abilities on it. She turns out wonderful on "The Tears" and "Sunset". Up tempo, I dig what she did with "Davy Crockett". She didn't come across sluggish, insecure, or soulless, which is the opposite of what happened when she was given "Come And Get These Memories". I think Flo should've sung it, but if Mary had to do it, it should've been re-worked into a ballad, which I think Mary might have done wonders with.

Flo had a voice that was more suited to tearing into a fast paced number. Most of her shining moments as a lead singer were on "Buttered Popcorn" and "Good News", two numbers that really rock and jump. Mary was better suited to stuff like "Save Me A Star" and "Heavenly Father". Of course Flo had her ballad moments also, like "Oh Holy Night", which is gorgeous, and her part in "Makes No Difference Now", which she really gets into. She should've done the whole song, although each girl was good on it.

My point is, as talented vocalists, singers need attention and everything to work together for the best possible creative outcome. Diana's body of work- from "Tears Of Sorrow" to "I Love You"- is a great illustration of how someone can go from a good, natural singer on "forgettable" songs, to one of the best to ever do it on songs forever etched into the fabric of a collective memory. Sadly, Flo's body of work was first mostly used on background work and then her solo stuff was interrupted by pitfalls, mental issues and finally death. Mary's was interrupted by poor management, insecurity and a reliance on drama, although outside of the recording studio, she has managed to come into her own as a vocalist.
    The key is indeed to high for her... Diana is left straining to hit those top notes which for the listener is all rather hard going. It's no wonder the song was canned.
    If the Harold Arlen tribute album she recorded in 86 ever sees the light of day we will perhaps get a chance to hear just what Diana can really do with the song.
    I find her live version at the 90 Academy Awards pleasant, but nothing more.
    Don't really know if Mary has ever attempted OTR??.
    One of the most difficult things for any singer who attempts their own version is that no one as in "NO ONE" can sing the song in quite the same way as the inimitable JG.