[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2020 - Any news of a Motown release?

As we enter 2020, have we finally emptied the well of 60s recordings?
    Any news of 'special' projects on the 60s era?
    I guess we will get a 1970 unreleased set, but are there no projects from Ace/ Kent etc?

I keep wondering too. ACE seemed to disappear. We need to get the ball rolling on some releases.

What happened to the Stoney and Meatloaf Expanded album ?
    My wishes for 2020 :
    _ A CD compilation with unreleased music by the J5 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first album of the group
    _ A CD compilation with unreleased music by the 70's Supremes to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first album of the group
    _ Ross '78 Expanded Edition [[CD)

I was hoping for further editions of unissued Guys and girls if there are tracks available.

When is Motown dropping some concert footage? Now we supported Motown 25. Time to give us fans what we want.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    As we enter 2020, have we finally emptied the well of 60s recordings?
    Any news of 'special' projects on the 60s era?
    I guess we will get a 1970 unreleased set, but are there no projects from Ace/ Kent etc?
    My guess is that all the remaining vaulted tracks a either not finished or are just in really bad quality. Otherwise, they would have turned up on The MU series or anywhere else. I’m now looking forward to all the unearthed gems from the 70s. Especially the final tracks cut in Detroit.

I hope so!

There are some unreleased Motown Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons tracks being prepared for release [[13 different songs plus some alt mixes etc of them including the original Motown recording of "My Eyes Adored You"). Catch is, it's one CD out of a 40 plus career spanning box set.

https://thatfourseasonssound.typepad...wn-unreleased/
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 01-20-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    My guess is that all the remaining vaulted tracks a either not finished or are just in really bad quality. Otherwise, they would have turned up on The MU series or anywhere else. I’m now looking forward to all the unearthed gems from the 70s. Especially the final tracks cut in Detroit.
    I've been waiting for these early 70's recordings as well. There have been some excellent early 70's releases that have come out as well. I was advocating for a Cellar Full of Motown release for the final Detroit years. I'm looking forward to Unreleased Motown 1970 in December. I heard Rose Batista cut some tracks in 1970 while she was working as a secretary for Motown. Fingers crossed that those tracks get released.

Personally, my hope, would be the day I could see mass-produced reissued classic sixties, at least Supremes, Four Tops, and Temptations, albums Motown CDs in mainstream mortar retail shops like Walmart, sitting side-by-side with the common reissued classic rock album CDs.

I was hoping for tracks on Sammy Ward, Gino Parkes, Lewis Sisters , Connie Haines, La Brenda Ben ....Originals, Spinners, Shorty Long and other artists overlooked over the years.
    The ideal way to get these things were shown to be Motown Girls/Guys sets.
    Have they died a death?

I think the Originals are one of the few Detroit era Motown acts whose album catalogue has largely gone without reissue [[but please let me know if there are even more). I'd love to see a set containing their early material on the Soul label, albums Green Grow The Lilacs / Naturally Together / Portrait Of The Originals / Definitions / Game Called Love

Soul Music Records has done some great multi-album sets lately on Jr. Walker, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, The Emotions, etc., it would be great to see them make it happen. Plus, it's so cool hearing Motown cover early Earth Wind & Fire!!!

I've been banging on about a box set of The Originals first 4 albums for years.

Also, not Motown but still Universal Music Group managed, I'd love to see the Four Tops ABC/Dunhill albums plus bonus material!

I was hoping for tracks on Sammy Ward, Gino Parkes, Lewis Sisters , Connie Haines, La Brenda Ben ....Originals, Spinners, Shorty Long and other artists overlooked over the years.
    The ideal way to get these things were shown to be Motown Girls/Guys sets.
    Have they died a death?
    Haven't all tracks by Shorty Long and LaBrenda Ben been released? And wasn't there a thread mention of Sam Ward that stated only 3 or 4 unreleased tracks still remain on that fine singer?

Couldn't say for sure.

Obviously there will be fewer unreleased tracks available now but we still get surprises and I expect the 70s will be mined for all they're worth - I won't complain about that. Points to Real Gone as purveyors of that genre - Mowest etc.

Elemental will probably surprise us with some conventional releases [[as they did with that bunch of Temptations classic albums).

Culture Factory continue to release their lovely mini album CDs [[and vinyl these days) and from time to time produce something unexpected as they did with the Tammi Terrell "Irresistible" mini LP CD. Perhaps they'll continue with a Four Tops series on the back of "Reach Out" and "On Top" and, of course they have made DRATS and Diana Ross mini LP CDs available over a few years.

I wouldn't expect ACE to produce anything for some time [[though I hope I'm wrong on that).

I hope there's something good to come from Universal Japan [[The Originals "Naturally Together" and "Definitions" on CD would be great) but they had a big splurge last year. One thing is for certain Oldays will continue to release their [[unofficial) Motown mini-LP CDs with slightly altered cover art [[as they have over recent years with Earl Van Dyke, Stevie Wonder, Vandellas, Chris Clark, Isley Bros and The Supremes - lastest one is "Meet The Supremes" with the white non-stools cover). Plus Big Pink I suspect will bring us an odd Rare Earth label release or two.

Later in the year yes I would hope for a 1970 Motown Unreleased download.

But there again what do I know. May not need to spend much lol

I heard Tommy Good telling someone when he was over here in Northampton some years ago he had recorded about 40 tracks, so Please a Vol 2 on CD, the 1st one obviously a sell out due to the high prices it fetches now.
    Also remember Goldmine's big Motown article some years ago mentioning CDs of Hattie Littles, The Andantes, Yes please!!!!
    Martha Reeves and the Vandellas "Live at the Copa" -PLEASE!
    Paul Petersen, Connie Haines, A Further R.Dean Taylor compiltation.
    Surely there is still more to get out to please us.
    Finally an official release of the 1963 Motortown Revue.

Finally an official release of the 1963 Motortown Revue. On DVD PLEASE!

From notes that I`ve taken on unreleased material over the years there is plenty of such recordings like:
    Mike Valvano. Cut 2 albums.
    Morocco Music Makers. 4 songs.
    Liz Lands. Torch Song album.
    Satintones. Cut enough for 3 albums.
    Bobby Breen. Album.
    Sammy Turner. Album`s worth.
    Tommy Good. Up to 20.
    Choker Campbell. "Shades of Blue" plus.
    Don McKenzie. Almost an album.
    Ray Oddis. More tracks.
    Underdogs. Still more to come.
    Marvin Gaye & Mary Wells. Could be 3 more.
    Abdullah. LP`s worth.
    Little Lisa. Recorded more than 12.
    Hearts Of Stone. Unreleased album.
    Marvin Gaye & Oma Page. Recorded more songs.
    Marcus Belgraves. Recorded 3 albums in the 60`s.
    Anita Knorl. 1 more.
    Johnny Bristol. 3 more.
    Hit Pack. an album`s worth.
    Bruce Channel. more songs.
    Headliners. ditto.
    Quaills. 2 tracks.
    Frank Morelli. 9 tracks.
    There`s lots more to come with all the songs "assigned to" and if only 1/4 of these have made it then it would depend on whether there is a market.Plus of course numerous alt. versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Calv1971 View Post
    I heard Tommy Good telling someone when he was over here in Northampton some years ago he had recorded about 40 tracks, so Please a Vol 2 on CD, the 1st one obviously a sell out due to the high prices it fetches now.
    Also remember Goldmine's big Motown article some years ago mentioning CDs of Hattie Littles, The Andantes, Yes please!!!!
    Martha Reeves and the Vandellas "Live at the Copa" -PLEASE!
    Paul Petersen, Connie Haines, A Further R.Dean Taylor compiltation.
    Surely there is still more to get out to please us.
    Finally an official release of the 1963 Motortown Revue.
    As far as Tommy Good is concerned I was told there were just some live tracks left. They utilized all the studio recordings including "Honey Lane" which clearly isn't mixed. Then they omitted one song due to the master tape being in bad shape. Maybe he did record others,but the vocals probably weren't kept as B.G. was keen on tape use. Vocals were wiped quite a bit. The Supremes recorded "One Way Out",but HDH only kept The Vandellas vocals. Tommy recorded "Suddenly I Was All Alone". In the MU1966 booklet there's no mention that Tommy ever had any involvement,but he remembers recording that. Only Marvin's version was the keeper I guess.

I hoping like a lot of you for some Originals to come out plus more Bobby Taylor, love his 'Touch By Love' on the Unreleased 1969

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    From notes that I`ve taken on unreleased material over the years there is plenty of such recordings like:
    Mike Valvano. Cut 2 albums.
    Morocco Music Makers. 4 songs.
    Liz Lands. Torch Song album.
    Satintones. Cut enough for 3 albums.
    Bobby Breen. Album.
    Sammy Turner. Album`s worth.
    Tommy Good. Up to 20.
    Choker Campbell. "Shades of Blue" plus.
    Don McKenzie. Almost an album.
    Ray Oddis. More tracks.
    Underdogs. Still more to come.
    Marvin Gaye & Mary Wells. Could be 3 more.
    Abdullah. LP`s worth.
    Little Lisa. Recorded more than 12.
    Hearts Of Stone. Unreleased album.
    Marvin Gaye & Oma Page. Recorded more songs.
    Marcus Belgraves. Recorded 3 albums in the 60`s.
    Anita Knorl. 1 more.
    Johnny Bristol. 3 more.
    Hit Pack. an album`s worth.
    Bruce Channel. more songs.
    Headliners. ditto.
    Quaills. 2 tracks.
    Frank Morelli. 9 tracks.
    There`s lots more to come with all the songs "assigned to" and if only 1/4 of these have made it then it would depend on whether there is a market.Plus of course numerous alt. versions.
    I thought that all of their duets [[Marvin & Oma) had been released, with Your Kiss Kiss being the last known track. Do you know what songs may exist?
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 01-23-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I've been waiting for these early 70's recordings as well. There have been some excellent early 70's releases that have come out as well. I was advocating for a Cellar Full of Motown release for the final Detroit years. I'm looking forward to Unreleased Motown 1970 in December. I heard Rose Batista cut some tracks in 1970 while she was working as a secretary for Motown. Fingers crossed that those tracks get released.
    The Motown sound of the early 70s is often slept on by music aficionados. But to me the Funk brothers were just as hot then as they’d been in the sixties. Sure Benny Benjamin’s death left a noticeable void, they didn’t miss a beat [[no pun intended) with Uriel, Pistol and Andrew Smith picking up the slack. Even the LA produced tracks had tremendously improved once they started using the Crusaders and other musicians that could give the Funks a run for their money.

More Blinky - there's lots!
    Hattie Littles
    Celebration
    Blackberries
    Yvonne Fair's 2nd album
    Rose Banks 2nd album
    Ivy Jo Hunter
    Devastating Affair
    Lewis Sisters
    Last edited by copley; 01-23-2020 at 06:09 PM.

It would be great to have a change of pace and release some of the lesser known artists who have recorded for Motown and if you take the 1970s there were so many artists with releases not only on the main labels, but on Rare Earth, Prodigal, Mowest, Natural Resources, etc. I would like a CD release of Leslie Uggams self-titled album, Diahann Carroll, Riot, GC Cameron's last album, Jr. Walker's remaining albums, Platinum Hook's second album, Rose Banks, as well as the Originals. There are buyers out there and if Universal cannot supply buyers will go for unofficial releases, similar to Big Pink Music releases of the Rare Earth and Motown labels rock catalogs.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    More Blinky - there's lots!
    Hattie Littles
    Celebration
    Blackberries
    Yvonne Fair's 2nd album
    Rose Banks 2nd album
    Ivy Jo Hunter
    Devastating Affair
    Lewis Sisters
    Any idea how much more Blinky there is in the vaults? I would definitely be interested in the Blackberries, Devastating Affair and Yvonne Fair. When was her second album recorded? And are there any more 60's tracks in the vault by her?

How bout some unreleased Smokey/Miracles songs. I'm sure that they have tons of music that's begging to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjacks View Post
    How bout some unreleased Smokey/Miracles songs. I'm sure that they have tons of music that's begging to be released.
    That's what I thought too. Unfortunately Smokey left very little on the cutting room floor. He seemed to record only the songs he was most passionate about. That's why when we get unissued Miracles tunes it's only one. If you think that's a revelation then there's nothing left over from the 70's.

There was no mention of songs Satans Blues only that there was an album recorded.Don`t forget that 3 Marvin and Kim tracks turned up recently.There will be no doubt quite a few demos from acts like Freda Payne,Delicates [[Undisputed Truth), the Parliaments , Falcons etc. Robb would know more about these.There are albums in the listings which haven`t seen the light of day:TM 244. Various "Live At The Fox", ML 619 Stepin` Fetchit "My Son The Sit In". MS 640 "Billy Eckstine Live at Lake Tahoe", Tony Martin "Live at the Americana", MS 697 "Mynah Birds", S735L and C.P. Spencer"Goin` For Myself". I would expect that these albums were recorded and then canned.

Again, my hopes, which I hope would not be too much: in mainstream retail like Walmart, in their CD racks, alongside reissues of Beatles, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, really, why couldn't Motown's sixties acts be just as reissued as Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Fleetwood Mac?

- Supremes' "Where Did Our Love Go", "More Hits By The Supremes", "I Hear A Symphony", "Supremes A Go-Go", "Love Child", "Cream Of The Crop"

- Four Tops, "Four Tops", "Second Album", "Reach Out", "On Top"

- Temptations, "Meet The Temptations", "Sing Smokey", "Gettin' Ready", "In A Mellow Mood", "With A Lot O' Soul", "Cloud Nine", "Puzzle People"

- Supremes & the Temptations, "Diana Ross & the Supremes Meet The Temptations", "TCB"

I'm talking cheap, bareboned reissues, that perpetually will replenish printing on the stands, affordably and accessibly, not deluxe, limited edition, two-disc slightly more expensives, that the rule is buy em' quick now, before whatever of them still found online jacked up exponential prices next time you see them, such as why I can never buy any of the Hip-O Marvelettes or Miracles CD albums sets.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 01-24-2020 at 01:39 AM.

What a fascinating and deeply informative thread. This is the Motown Forum at its best.

I would certainly love to have Martha Reeves and the Vandellas Live at the Copa finally digitised and released, preferably in a box set with their Live album [[perhaps both the mono and stereo versions), and of course the "Live in Japan" recordings. All with a beautiful new booklet, and pictures.

Yes please to the Originals albums, as well.

When is the movie Hitsville coming out on Blu Ray and DVD?I read that from a source in Billboard.

Any idea how much more Blinky there is in the vaults? I would definitely be interested in the Blackberries, Devastating Affair and Yvonne Fair. When was her second album recorded? And are there any more 60's tracks in the vault by her?
    That´s a very interesting question, when she signed her Motown contract ? I love her track "I can´t let him go", it´s from 1968 isn´t it ? And I think her second album must be after 1975 or were there material evailable before, for an whole album ? From the Blackberries there must be an whole album in the faults, maybe some single tracks or we can create a combination with the A&M sides. Anbody have informations about the tracks by Blinky in the faults, maybe we have luck and see a lot of them of the unreleased Motown 1970

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Obviously there will be fewer unreleased tracks available now but we still get surprises and I expect the 70s will be mined for all they're worth - I won't complain about that. Points to Real Gone as purveyors of that genre - Mowest etc.

Elemental will probably surprise us with some conventional releases [[as they did with that bunch of Temptations classic albums).

Culture Factory continue to release their lovely mini album CDs [[and vinyl these days) and from time to time produce something unexpected as they did with the Tammi Terrell "Irresistible" mini LP CD. Perhaps they'll continue with a Four Tops series on the back of "Reach Out" and "On Top" and, of course they have made DRATS and Diana Ross mini LP CDs available over a few years.

I wouldn't expect ACE to produce anything for some time [[though I hope I'm wrong on that).

I hope there's something good to come from Universal Japan [[The Originals "Naturally Together" and "Definitions" on CD would be great) but they had a big splurge last year. One thing is for certain Oldays will continue to release their [[unofficial) Motown mini-LP CDs with slightly altered cover art [[as they have over recent years with Earl Van Dyke, Stevie Wonder, Vandellas, Chris Clark, Isley Bros and The Supremes - lastest one is "Meet The Supremes" with the white non-stools cover). Plus Big Pink I suspect will bring us an odd Rare Earth label release or two.

Later in the year yes I would hope for a 1970 Motown Unreleased download.

But there again what do I know. May not need to spend much lol

Speaking of Oldays, how are the mastering of the CDs? Are they from vinyl?

There are so many artists that have albums never released on cd or albums that out of print on cd. I would love to see the entire Motown catalog from the 60's and 70's released to cd in some form, Hank Ballard and The Midnighters, Chuck Jacksons Wand albums on cd again, Ray Charles ABC albums on cd again, Bobby Viton's Blue On Blue album on cd, Connie Francis' Complete MGM catalog on cd, Pat Boones catalog, the missing Cameo Parkway albums on cd, the list goes on.

Regarding The Spinners..were we asked by Ace , or a representative, if we preferred a 60s or 70s set?
    If so, I presume enough 70s track are in the vaults.

Regarding The Spinners..were we asked by Ace , or a representative, if we preferred a 60s or 70s set?
    If so, I presume enough 70s track are in the vaults.
    Didn't the Spinners leave Motown in 1970?

Yes, sorry about that . By 70s I meant the "second time around" album period. Probably 68-70...G.C. Cameron era .....Which I petsonally found variable at best.

Yes, sorry about that . By 70s I meant the "second time around" album period. Probably 68-70...G.C. Cameron era .....Which I petsonally found variable at best.
    I'm all for an Expanded Edition of their Second Time Around album

Yes I would be happy to see, and purchase, such a CD collection.

Snakepit & SatansBlues, check this out!
    https://www.amazon.com/While-City-Sl...0331649&sr=8-6

Quote Originally Posted by drewschultz88 View Post
    Ok, how the heck did I miss this release??? Any reviews?

Yes "expanded" versions of both Spinners Motown albums have been available for a while.

Name:  A - SPINNERS EXPANDED.jpg
Views: 8835
Size:  96.2 KB

Probably a sign of old age and/or losing interest ,but I have both CDs.....slightly worrying eh??

I think the Originals are one of the few Detroit era Motown acts whose album catalogue has largely gone without reissue [[but please let me know if there are even more). I'd love to see a set containing their early material on the Soul label, albums Green Grow The Lilacs / Naturally Together / Portrait Of The Originals / Definitions / Game Called Love

Soul Music Records has done some great multi-album sets lately on Jr. Walker, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, The Emotions, etc., it would be great to see them make it happen. Plus, it's so cool hearing Motown cover early Earth Wind & Fire!!!

They sound like several different well known artists on this one song. It reminds me of the Chi-Lites, the Dells and Larry Graham all mixed in.

Didn't the Spinners leave Motown in 1970?
    In very late 1970 they left.

Love Bobby Smith's voice but I'm not fond of the track "While The City Sleeps"

Dig out my copy of "While the City sleeps".
    I will give it a few plays....I was probably put off playing it as "The second time around" 'll was never a great favourite.