[REMOVE ADS]

Whitney Houston & Biggie named as inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

This morning, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame listed six new inductees to their class:

Depeche Mode
    The Doobie Brothers
    Whitney Houston
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    T. Rex

Irving Azoff and Jon Landau were listed as inductees in the Ahmet Ertegun Award.

This marks the first time since 2013 where two black acts were inducted at the same time [[last time was Donna Summer and Public Enemy).

The ten other acts who missed out:
    Dave Matthews Band [[first act to win the fan vote to miss the votes to get in; they'll probably won't be likely to be nominated again)
    Pat Benatar [[many, including me, had pegged her as an inductee for 2020 so she was the surprise snub)
    Soundgarden [[another surprise snub was this one but maybe not so much as Pat because NIN has a bigger hold than I thought)
    Judas Priest [[they made #5 on the 2018 fan vote and #5 on this year's fan vote, they missed out yet again!)
    Thin Lizzy
    Motorhead
    Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
    Todd Rundgren
    Kraftwerk [[they didn't get the Early Influence Award as feared by some Hall of Fame watchers)
    MC5 [[this will likely be the Detroiters' last hurrah as the 1960s chapter of the Hall may be closed unless other '60s acts like Dionne Warwick finally get a shot)
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-15-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Although I'm happy to see Nip and Biggie get their props, I am fired up about Rufus/Chaka being snubbed yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I am fired up about Rufus/Chaka being snubbed yet again.
    Me too!

Although I'm happy to see Nip and Biggie get their props, I am fired up about Rufus/Chaka being snubbed yet again.
    Cause the voters are stingy BUT they keep on nominating her. I think she'll definitely be in but, you know, politics.

Now you're talking! Whitney and Biggie both deserve to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    This morning, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame listed six new inductees to their class:

Depeche Mode
    The Doobie Brothers
    Whitney Houston
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    T. Rex

Irving Azoff and Jon Landau were listed as inductees in the Ahmet Ertegun Award.

This marks the first time since 2013 where two black acts were inducted at the same time [[last time was Donna Summer and Public Enemy).

Dave Matthews Band [[first act to win the fan vote to miss the votes to get in; they'll probably won't be likely to be nominated again)
    Pat Benatar [[many, including me, had pegged her as an inductee for 2020 so she was the surprise snub)
    Soundgarden [[another surprise snub was this one but maybe not so much as Pat because NIN has a bigger hold than I thought)
    Judas Priest [[they made #5 on the 2018 fan vote and #5 on this year's fan vote, they missed out yet again!)
    Thin Lizzy
    Motorhead
    Todd Rundgren
    Kraftwerk [[they didn't get the Early Influence Award as feared by some Hall of Fame watchers)
    MC5 [[this will likely be the Detroiters' last hurrah as the 1960s chapter of the Hall may be closed unless other '60s acts like Dionne Warwick finally get a shot)
    I'd like to see Chubby Checker and The Guess Who inducted.

The Rock HoF never fails to amaze me. How in the world are the Doobie Brothers just now making it? And yes, Rufus/Chaka and Pat Benatar should have made it by now. Don't get me going over Chic. I know you can't make everybody happy but the subjectivity of this foundation's noms is off the charts [[literally).

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

Depeche Mode
    The Doobie Brothers
    Whitney Houston
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    T. Rex

Thin Lizzy
    Motorhead
    Todd Rundgren
    The way they act, Dionne Warwick would not have a shot.

It's long been a 'whateva' to me; just another relatively meaningless event. Really could not care less.

I think she was snubbed six times. I just read an article that accuses the committee of not picking enough women nominees. Some of the nominees it mentioned for consideration were Carole King. Carly Simon, Pat Benatar, the Runaways, the Go-Go’s, , Cyndi Lauper, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton , Big Mama Thornton, Ella Fitzgerald, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Annie Lennox, Emmylou Harris, Diana Ross, Chaka Khan, Bette Midler, , Debbie Harry, Sheryl Crow, and Aaliyah

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be on May 2. It will be broadcast live, for the first time, on HBO at 8 p.m. ET.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...-inductee-2020

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I think she was snubbed six times. I just read an article that accuses the committee of not picking enough women nominees. Some of the nominees it mentioned for consideration were Carole King. Carly Simon, Pat Benatar, the Runaways, the Go-Go’s, , Cyndi Lauper, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton , Big Mama Thornton, Ella Fitzgerald, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Annie Lennox, Emmylou Harris, Diana Ross, Chaka Khan, Bette Midler, , Debbie Harry, Sheryl Crow, and Aaliyah

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be on May 2. It will be broadcast live, for the first time, on HBO at 8 p.m. ET.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...-inductee-2020
    They're transparently sexist. The Pat Benatar snub makes no sense whatsoever, either. If an act is not a WGWG [white guy with guitar], the committee hems and haws. A friend of mine attended the ceremony the year Donna Summer was inducted; he told me he heard grumblings and felt a palpable discomfort in the theater.

I just saw where Whitney's video for "I Will Always Love You" has almost a billion views! Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Me too!
    Me three! 😠😡😈

Chaka Khan is to the HOF what Susan Lucci was to the Daytime Emmys for decades. How does she continue to get nominated and not merit induction? She is one of the most unique and influential voices in popular music

The R&B Hall of Fame needs more support.

They're transparently sexist. The Pat Benatar snub makes no sense whatsoever, either. If an act is not a WGWG [white guy with guitar], the committee hems and haws. A friend of mine attended the ceremony the year Donna Summer was inducted; he told me he heard grumblings and felt a palpable discomfort in the theater.
    Sexist and probably racist as well, but the same thing happens every year, so ... just boycott it. Don't tune in.