[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    There's not a lot of talk about "Touch me in the morning". Yet it is the first of the great ballads that mark Diana Ross's style in the public mind.

I'd like to come back to these rumours, which are perhaps not rumours at all and which give the singer a certain prejudice.

It would have taken 15 takes for Masser to get what he wanted and Miller is quoted in the Billboard Book of Number One Hits as saying it took 300 hours of editing to finish the song. Since then, in biographies, articles, we have the idea of a capricious Diana who prefers to take care of her wigs rather than work on her songs.

When it comes to Barbra Streisand, it never occurs to anyone to criticize her for the infinite number of takes she does for a single song. On the contrary.

In Diana's case, there's a suspicion that it wasn't good enough... But now, we have several alternative takes, and they're all beautiful.

In the end, maybe, the truth is that the two producers were not able to assume their indecision and they blame it on Miss Ross. It's easier and maybe more marketable to the press.
    I'll always love Diana's "Touch Me In The Morning". Never heard any of the alternate takes of the song but I agree that it's the first of her great ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Too white? Remove Mirror Mirror from WDFFIL and you have a half gallon of skim milk!
    There is nothing "skim milk" about "Work That Body". Nothing. Bad thing about that song is the ridiculous lyrics. Had the song had a "Physical" by Olivia N John storyline, that song could've been huge. I also wouldn't put "Think I'm In Love" or "Sweet Surrender" in the "skim milk" category either. However, ultimately, while at RCA, it's definitely clear that r&b was not always Diana's priority, ruling out this type of issue having anything to do with her decision to never work with him again.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    So did Masser not produce "In Your Arms" on Silk Electric?
    Nope. He [[along with Linda Creed) wrote it, but Diana produced it.

^^^ and it’s a great vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    There is nothing "skim milk" about "Work That Body". Nothing. Bad thing about that song is the ridiculous lyrics. Had the song had a "Physical" by Olivia N John storyline, that song could've been huge. I also wouldn't put "Think I'm In Love" or "Sweet Surrender" in the "skim milk" category either. However, ultimately, while at RCA, it's definitely clear that r&b was not always Diana's priority, ruling out this type of issue having anything to do with her decision to never work with him again.
    i agree that different lyrics were necessary for WTB. I'm ok with one campy/silly song on an album and frankly Sweet Nothings is the better choice IMO. it at least has a LITTLE bit of substance when compared to WTB.

the backing track on Work could easily have lent itself to some steamy, sizzling lyric and made a great follow up to Mirror.