[REMOVE ADS]

Expedia commercial uses a vintage soul classic

Watching TV, I saw a commercial that used Clarence "Frogman" Henry's classic hit [[I Don't Know Why I Love You) BUT I DO.

Younger posters may not know him, but he had hits in the early sixties that crossed over to the pop chart

Very reminiscent of Fats Domino, isn't he?

He also had a hit in 1956, "Ain't Got No Home."

I saw the commercial this past Sunday and had to look it up as I hadn't heard this in decades. It's good to know that he is still living. This song sounds like one that Derek Martin [[You'd Better Go) did called "You Know." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=805A0bV5BIs
    Last edited by mr_june; 01-16-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Wow, I never heard of Derrick Martin or the song YOU KNOW. But their similarity is amazing. Is there any connection to the two songs?

Another bit of trivia is that Clarence "Frogman" Henry's song was originally released as I DON'T KNOW WHY. But there was already a song by that name and they had to change the name to BUT I DO. Eventually, it was called [[I Don't Know Why I Love You) BUT I DO

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Wow, I never heard of Derrick Martin or the song YOU KNOW. But their similarity is amazing. Is there any connection to the two songs?

Another bit of trivia is that Clarence "Frogman" Henry's song was originally released as I DON'T KNOW WHY. But there was already a song by that name and they had to change the name to BUT I DO. Eventually, it was called [[I Don't Know Why I Love You) BUT I DO

And I see on the 2nd pressing they removed the "Frogman" part of his name. Perhaps they were wanting him to go in a more pop direction and felt the "Frogman" moniker was too much of a novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Not that I know of except that the sound is a New Orleans thing.