[REMOVE ADS]

Prince Is Getting an All-Star Grammy Tribute Concert

Alicia Keys, John Legend and Usher will perform at a special Prince tribute concert set to take place after the 2020 Grammy Awards and air on television later this year, Rolling Stone has confirmed.

Let’s Go Crazy: The Grammy Salute to Prince will be held January 28th – two days after the Grammys – at the Los Angeles Convention Center and will be broadcast in April. Past Prince percussionist Sheila E. will serve as the night’s musical director alongside longtime Prince associates Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. The lineup also includes Beck, Common, Foo Fighters, H.E.R., Earth, Wind & Fire, St. Vincent, Mavis Staples, Chris Martin, Gary Clark, Jr. and Juanes.

Read More Here:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...oncert-934548/

At this point, why? He basically OD'd so they should "salute" him? Just my opinion but it gets really tired when they honor these drug addicts as if they're some kind of god. But hey, have at it. There are plenty of well deserving artists from the past that deserve it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Alicia Keys, John Legend and Usher will perform at a special Prince tribute concert set to take place after the 2020 Grammy Awards and air on television later this year, Rolling Stone has confirmed.

Let’s Go Crazy: The Grammy Salute to Prince will be held January 28th – two days after the Grammys – at the Los Angeles Convention Center and will be broadcast in April. Past Prince percussionist Sheila E. will serve as the night’s musical director alongside longtime Prince associates Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. The lineup also includes Beck, Common, Foo Fighters, H.E.R., Earth, Wind & Fire, St. Vincent, Mavis Staples, Chris Martin, Gary Clark, Jr. and Juanes.

Read More Here:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...oncert-934548/
    I think it's great that they are honoring Prince, but I wish they would get some different artists involved this time. Alicia Keys? John Legend, etc Really? It's dead in the water already as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    At this point, why? He basically OD'd so they should "salute" him? Just my opinion but it gets really tired when they honor these drug addicts as if they're some kind of god. But hey, have at it. There are plenty of well deserving artists from the past that deserve it more.
    Prince was far more than just some "drug addict". He meant a lot to a lot of people and our overall Popular culture. I met him several times and he was a great and talented guy.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Prince was far more than just some "drug addict". He meant a lot to a lot of people and our overall Popular culture. I met him several times and he was a great and talented guy.
    Amen. Thanks for this, marv2. Drug addiction is an illness, full stop. God forbid the industry should honor someone who consistently gave back to the less fortunate and made the world a lot more funky, colorful, welcoming and easier to navigate for countless souls.
    Last edited by sansradio; 01-09-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Prince was probably one of the top 5 greatest musicians of all time in modern pop. You probably say the same of Whitney Houston and George Michael, right? You wouldn't dare say that about Marvin Gaye. But now we're gonna dismiss Prince as some "junkie"?

An opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement that is not conclusive.

You all know, it's something you're not permitted to have on here. If you choose to honor Mr. Prince, that is your opinion to do so. It's coming up 4 years and there have been many tributes. I have his music. This doesn't mean I hate the guy. It's just been enough already. My "opinion" of course. Have a great day!

Your opinion is also why it's an opinion and why people can disagree with it so...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think it's great that they are honoring Prince, but I wish they would get some different artists involved this time. Alicia Keys? John Legend, etc Really? It's dead in the water already as far as I am concerned.
    I have to agree. I don't want to watch John Legend anymore. I don't like his voice. I loved "Ordinary People" but nothing since.

Prince deserves a tribute and I know they need names that will attract viewers and advertisers. The commercial talent pool of 2020 is a vicious reminder of what we've lost with the passing of truly great artists like Prince, MJ, Whitney, George, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Prince was probably one of the top 5 greatest musicians of all time in modern pop. You probably say the same of Whitney Houston and George Michael, right? You wouldn't dare say that about Marvin Gaye. But now we're gonna dismiss Prince as some "junkie"?

Amen.......

Your words, not mine. This is exactly how easy some of you blow everything out of proportion. No wonder people leave this board as some of you so childishly have a need for the last word. Go for it. As far as Marvin Gaye and others, yes they were dealing with some horrible addictions but I was talking specifically about Prince wasn't I? Call them as it is but I am fully aware they were much more than that but drugs are what did some of them in. We know Marvin's story so don't put words in my mouth. Grow up already.

Name:  gif.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  7.4 KB
    Last edited by nathanj06; 01-13-2020 at 02:31 PM.

If an artist's addiction means that they aren't deserving of honors, then we would have to exclude Hector Berlioz, Ludwig van Beethoven, and Frederic Chopin from being honored, as they would be undeserving.

https://asanarecovery.com/classical-...ho-used-drugs/

Your words, not mine. This is exactly how easy some of you blow everything out of proportion. No wonder people leave this board as some of you so childishly have a need for the last word. Go for it. As far as Marvin Gaye and others, yes they were dealing with some horrible addictions but I was talking specifically about Prince wasn't I? Call them as it is but I am fully aware they were much more than that but drugs are what did some of them in. We know Marvin's story so don't put words in my mouth. Grow up already.

Name:  gif.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  7.4 KB
    You're the one that came here whining about them honoring a "drug addict". Not me.

I'm not the one that needs to grow up. You can just block me if you don't like my commenting.

Marvin Gaye and David Ruffin's cocaine abuse is excused because they had demons and that's understandable, I guess, but apparently musicians who die from prescription pills are junkies. Okay LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    If an artist's addiction means that they aren't deserving of honors, then we would have to exclude Hector Berlioz, Ludwig van Beethoven, and Frederic Chopin from being honored, as they would be undeserving.

https://asanarecovery.com/classical-...ho-used-drugs/
    Right. Don't forget about these musicians:
    Miles Davis+ [[heroin)
    Billie Holiday [[heroin)
    Charlie Parker [[heroin)
    Ray Charles+ [[heroin and alcohol)
    Dee Dee Warwick+ [[heroin and cocaine)
    Janis Joplin [[heroin, alcohol and prescription pills)
    Jim Morrison [[alcohol and suspected heroin usage)
    Frankie Lymon [[heroin)
    Judy Garland [[prescription pills and alcohol)
    Jimi Hendrix [[prescription pills)
    Elvis Presley [[prescription pills)
    Little Richard* [[cocaine, heroin and PCP)
    Clyde McPhatter [[alcohol)
    Florence Ballard+ [[alcohol)
    John Lennon+ [[heroin)
    Natalie Cole+ [[heroin and cocaine)
    Chaka Khan* [[heroin, cocaine, alcohol and prescription pills)
    Etta James+ [[heroin)
    Marvin Gaye+ [[cocaine and suspected PCP use)
    David Ruffin [[cocaine)
    Hillel Slovak of the Red Hot Chili Peppers [[heroin)
    John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers* [[heroin)
    Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers* [[heroin)
    James Brown+ [[PCP and cocaine)
    Ike Turner [[cocaine)
    Rick James [[cocaine)
    Bobby Womack+ [[cocaine)
    Sly Stone* [[cocaine)
    John Entwistle [[cocaine)
    Michael Jackson [[prescription pills, propofol, alcohol and suspected cocaine use)
    Amy Winehouse+ [[alcohol, cocaine and heroin)
    Whitney Houston+ [[cocaine, alcohol and prescription pills)
    George Michael+ [[prescription pills and suspected cocaine use)
    Prince [[prescription pills)

* - they're still alive and sober.
    + - they died of other issues related or not related to drugs [[George Michael's was due to natural causes and he had kicked his drug habit at the time; so did Bobby Womack if I'm not mistaken; we know what caused Lennon and Gaye's deaths; though Whitney's death was related to cocaine, the main cause was drowning).
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-14-2020 at 09:06 PM.

@midnightman, Wow, what a list. Very sad when you think of so much talent essentially squandered. No pun intended, but very sobering.

You're the one that came here whining about them honoring a "drug addict". Not me.

I'm not the one that needs to grow up. You can just block me if you don't like my commenting.

Marvin Gaye and David Ruffin's cocaine abuse is excused because they had demons and that's understandable, I guess, but apparently musicians who die from prescription pills are junkies. Okay LOL

Whatever you say midnightman. You just proved my case. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @midnightman, Wow, what a list. Very sad when you think of so much talent essentially squandered. No pun intended, but very sobering.
    I know. Lots of great talent destroyed by drugs and alcohol.

Right. Don't forget about these musicians:
    Miles Davis+ [[heroin)
    Billie Holiday [[heroin)
    Charlie Parker [[heroin)
    Ray Charles+ [[heroin and alcohol)
    Dee Dee Warwick+ [[heroin and cocaine)
    Janis Joplin [[heroin, alcohol and prescription pills)
    Jim Morrison [[alcohol and suspected heroin usage)
    Judy Garland [[prescription pills and alcohol)
    Jimi Hendrix [[prescription pills)
    Elvis Presley [[prescription pills)
    Florence Ballard+ [[alcohol)
    John Lennon+ [[heroin)
    Natalie Cole+ [[heroin and cocaine)
    Chaka Khan* [[heroin, cocaine, alcohol and prescription pills)
    Marvin Gaye+ [[cocaine and suspected PCP use; PCP was not found on his body after his autopsy but allegedly he was using it around the time of his last tour, which was the reason for his paranoia)
    David Ruffin [[cocaine)
    Hillel Slovak of the Red Hot Chili Peppers [[heroin)
    John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers* [[heroin)
    Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers* [[heroin)
    James Brown+ [[PCP and cocaine)
    Ike Turner [[cocaine)
    Rick James [[cocaine)
    Bobby Womack+ [[cocaine)
    Sly Stone* [[cocaine)
    John Entwistle [[cocaine)
    Michael Jackson [[prescription pills, propofol, alcohol and suspected cocaine use)
    Amy Winehouse+ [[alcohol, cocaine and heroin)
    Whitney Houston+ [[cocaine, alcohol and prescription pills)
    George Michael+ [[prescription pills and suspected cocaine use)
    Prince [[prescription pills)

* - they're still alive and sober.
    + - they died of other issues related or not related to drugs [[George Michael's was due to natural causes and he had kicked his drug habit at the time; so did Bobby Womack if I'm not mistaken; we know what caused Lennon and Gaye's deaths; though Whitney's death was related to cocaine, the main cause was drowning).
    Add Clyde McPhatter [[alcohol) to this list.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Add Clyde McPhatter [[alcohol) to this list.
    Definitely him. I knew I was missing a few people.