[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin’s son calls for boycott of biopic starring Jennifer Hudson

Not really a surprise.

Such publicity only will make this film more money and garner more people going to see it. I didn't even hear about the film until the family began protesting it's production. Looks like another "Green Book" controversy with family members upset they didn't get a slice of the pie or failed to put a production of their own together first...

Not a surprise to me, either, JRob and StuB. Around the time of Aretha's funeral I had hopes that the family would be high-road sorts, but it looks more like they will follow the lead of those Greedy, Griftin' Gayes and complain then sue about everything. It's obviously all about the Franklins, 'B' that is, not 'A'. If there are legit issues with either the movie or book a nicely worded press brief would suffice. The all-caps SM posts just aren't a good look for anyone, much less a true legend such as Aretha Franklin.

No one is going to boycott this film. It's too important and besides, didn't Aretha herself ask Jennifer Hudson to portray her? Let it be Mr. Offspring.

This is the same son that called himself KPoint, and tries to do Christian rap.

I thought Aretha wanted Halle Berry

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...on/1026703002/
    Initially she did want Halle. Aretha which was absurd on so many levels. However, she finally settled on Jennifer and that was a wise choice. When Jennifer was heavy and played Effie, I thought she would be perfect to play Aretha. The issue is her acting abilities.

I'm sorry but I can't take anyone with the name Kecalf [[pronounced Calf) seriously. He seems to be the only Franklin son up in arms over it. Clarence, Edward and Teddy haven't said much.

lol. He's probably upset because nobody is giving him a paycheck for this. He'd change his tune if he was getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't take anyone with the name Kecalf [[pronounced Calf) seriously. He seems to be the only Franklin son up in arms over it. Clarence, Edward and Teddy haven't said much.
    At first I thought I misread the article but it does appear that he is the only one who is up in arms over it. Jennifer is hand picked, and the estate gave the okay, so I can only assume they read a script and found it to be worthwhile. Same with the Cynthia Erivo mini-series that was filmed [[or is filming).

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    At first I thought I misread the article but it does appear that he is the only one who is up in arms over it. Jennifer is hand picked, and the estate gave the okay, so I can only assume they read a script and found it to be worthwhile. Same with the Cynthia Erivo mini-series that was filmed [[or is filming).
    Plus Kecalf wasn't even born or around that time due to the script so he could take this personally.

thatanyway Guest
    Like some of you already said nobody is going to boycott this film. And I don't think that the kids have the dibs to artists' lifestories being told anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    He's the "Baby Boy" no surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    He's the "Baby Boy" no surprise there.
    Right. He's 15 years younger than the oldest. Generation gap. The other three kids were around their mom BEFORE she became a superstar.

thatanyway Guest
    .................A ps to what I said a few posts ago, and to the fact that no one will boycott this film, is of course that Jennifer Hudson doesn't sound like Aretha Franklin. But who does? So maybe that's a topic someone could start. Who should play Aretha Franklin based on voice? I think that a lot, I mean A LOT of people want to see this film because of the bio aspect, and that they [[or I) just accept the fact that no one can sing like Aretha anyway, so anyone could play her for the voice aspect, because nobody will get it right...

Kinda hard to suggest anyone. Same with Whitney Houston. Those two had voices that I put in the unreal column when they were at their heydays. They lived extraordinary lives and Aretha in particular had a very colorful one: lost her mom at 10, her father was a famous preacher and civil rights activist who hung out regularly with Martin Luther King Jr., was a mother before turning 13, struggled in her early secular career [[and accused of being a backslider), fought to integrate musical venues during the civil rights period, the abusive marriage to Ted White. And this is before we get into the Atlantic years which turned her into a superstar, icon and legend in a manner of 14 years.

Voice wise, it can be difficult. Jennifer Hudson seems the closest to it as far as Aretha is concerned.

thatanyway Guest
    Yes, in total everybody wants to see this film I would guess...

Closer voice wise

Miss Hudson will be coached from here to the Golden Globes.

Even if I just now post a clip and say closer [[without that help to begin with) I don't think that anybody will ever nail it...

Quote Originally Posted by thatanyway View Post
    Yes, in total everybody wants to see this film I would guess...

Closer voice wise

Miss Hudson will be coached from here to the Golden Globes.

Even if I just now post a clip and say closer [[without that help to begin with) I don't think that anybody will ever nail it...
    The powers that be should use Ms. Champ's voice in the Aretha Franklin biopic.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post
    The powers that be should use Ms. Champ's voice in the Aretha Franklin biopic.
    Agreed wholeheartedly!! WOW!!!

thatanyway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post

She is very WOW but I hear differences......... so maybe they should go with someone who really doesn't sound like Aretha at all, to educate future generations to listen for ARETHA. It's easy for us. We had access. Imagine 200 years from now. Imho ''you'' need to think in that perspective. When they wonder what Aretha Franklin sounded like in the future I hope they don't go to the movie to find out.

What they do I guess is, is to edit whoever's singing with puters and make it sound like Aretha.

thatanyway Guest
    Maybe I should try to say something about the differences I hear and not just leave it at that..It's difficult to describe voices but all the same. ONE thing is Miss Champs sounds huskier to me on the high notes and not husky enough on the low notes...and the timbre is slightly different across the scale. I mean for the comparison. She is a very impressive singer in her on right. However, however...she might be the singer currently with us who does remind me the most of how Aretha sounded.

thatanyway Guest
    Lol - it's a tripple from me. Taking it serious. It IS serious. The question of voice in this case with this movie and the legacy of Aretha Franklin is like a wonder of the world or something that should be treated as such
    Miss Champs places the high notes slightly further back singing than Aretha did.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Pretty darn close.