[REMOVE ADS]




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 71 of 71

Thread: Farewell LP

  1. #51
    Agree. For the last show...more hits should have been included but I suppose it was a Ross showcase by then...sadly.

  2. #52
    It seems they started transitioning to the Farewell setlist in October 1968 when they appeared at the Coconut Grove. Based off reviews and pictures, they opened the shows with "Love Child" (wearing the street clothes) and the hits medley. "Big Spender" was in the act and Mary was doing both "Falling In Love With Love" and "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" which Mary pushed for to be in the show.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I wonder what you all think of this live set, is it a good album?

    Another question is , what was Diana doing when Mary performed her solos during concerts.
    It was a pretty good album. I have the original and the reissue.

  4. #54
    You think million sellers like where did our live go...you can't hurry love and hanging on would have been included unless they were edited out in favor of Sunshine

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    You think million sellers like where did our live go...you can't hurry love and hanging on would have been included unless they were edited out in favor of Sunshine
    I think the only song that didn't make it to the album is YOU'RE NOBODY 'TIL SOMEBODY LOVES YOU.

  6. #56
    Overall I wasn't a big fan of this live album. Diana sounds so bored and over it on several of the songs. She's just phoning it in. Mary is a little over the top in the background and I get it.

    A lot of the newer hits ("Love Child", "Someday") didnt seem to translate well live and I'm sure part of that is because Mary and Cindy weren't on the studio recordings of them. I will say on a positive note, this album contains my favorite live version ever of "Reflections ".

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    For being the LAST DRATS performance, too much emphasis was put on "showtunes" and not enough on the expansive Motown catalog. Only 9 "hits" were included, 4 being part of a medley. "LOVE IS HERE" is an odd choice, when others like HANGING ON, HURRY LOVE, and HAPPENING were left off. Certainly their first #1 WDOLG should have been included.
    Agreed. I actually think the double album should've been an edit of shows done in Vegas and a last arena show. From Vegas you get the "Big Spender", "Didn't We", "Aquarius", "Impossible Dream", etc. From the arena you get full versions of the big hits, especially "Where Did Our Love Go" which put them on the map. Had I been in charge of the entire project, Farewell might have looked like this:

    Side 1
    1) TCB
    2) Stop In the Name of Love
    3) Come See About Me
    4) My World Is Empty Without You
    5) Baby Love
    6) The Lady Is A Tramp/Let's Get Away From It All

    Side 2
    1) Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
    2) I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
    3) Can't Take My Eyes Off You
    4) Reflections
    5) Didn't We
    6) It's Alright

    Side 3
    1) Big Spender
    2) Love Child
    3) Aquarius (edited to fade just after Marvin Gaye finishes singing his part)
    4) You Keep Me Hangin On
    5) You Can't Hurry Love

    Side 4
    1) Where Did Our Love Go
    2) Medley: Let Me Go the Right Way/Lovelight/A Breath Taking Guy
    3) The Impossible Dream
    4) I Hear A Symphony
    5) Someday We'll Be Together

    I love the Miracles' farewell album and how they included not only "Shop Around" but also "Bad Girl", as an homage to their early days. There was none of that in the Supremes last set. It's these kinds of things that annoy me about Motown when it comes to albums released by the Supremes. There was always this need to capitalize off of the name but not take care to ensure the quality.

  8. #58
    The Supremes never sang in front of a teenager audience but only in super clubs?

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    The Supremes never sang in front of a teenager audience but only in super clubs?
    They did both concerts and night clubs but I don't think their act changed according to the venue.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    The Supremes never sang in front of a teenager audience but only in super clubs?
    No, they also sang in front of teenage audiences, mostly in revues with other acts. They were one of the groups that performed at Palisades Park in NJ. It was cheap admission to see them, either thirty cents or six used tea bags.

    The Palsiades Amusement Park stage was ground zero for Rock 'n' Roll music in the 1950's and 1960's. The biggest names in the American music industry performed on that stage perched on the edge of the Palisades. Diana Ross and the Supremes, Paul Revere and the Raiders, New Jersey's own Lesley Gore, Frankie Avalon, The Fifth Dimension, Lovin' Spoonful, and even a young Billy Joel, to name but a few performed on that historic stage.

    As the 1950's turned into the 1960's a new personality emerged on the scene at the park atop the Palisades, the one and only Bruce Morrow of 77 WABC AM radio fame. All of us Americans know of Uncle Sam, and those of us who grew up in the 1960's in the greater NYC area know our Cousin Brucie. Yes, Bruce Morrow to this day remains our favorite Cousin here in the borough of Fort Lee thanks to his work on the stage of Palisades Amusement Park in the 1960's.




    Of course, the famous concert at Philharmonic Hall in Lincoln Center.


  11. #61
    I think there was a concert at the Forum in 1968, and Hollywood Ball.

  12. #62
    they also did tons of college dates. I think they were doing more stand-alone gigs versus big revues by the late 60s. during the DRATS era is when they continued to move into the mega-night club arena. keep in mind it was Sept 66 when they first played vegas - Flo would be gone and the group named changed 10 months later when they did their 2nd engagement there

    they were doing bigger international tours, moving into the Waldorf and other premium locations.

    for the Hollywood Bowl show in April 67, their show still contained a lot more of the hits. it seems that they always did at least 4 or 5 full length versions of their songs, plus a hits medley. then all of the other stuff. For Farewell, they still did that - Love is Here, Reflections, I'm gonna make you love me, love child and someday. it's quite possible that the lineup on the lp is a mashup of multiple nights - that none of the shows included ALL of this content.

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    No, they also sang in front of teenage audiences, mostly in revues with other acts. They were one of the groups that performed at Palisades Park in NJ. It was cheap admission to see them, either thirty cents or six used tea bags.

    The Palsiades Amusement Park stage was ground zero for Rock 'n' Roll music in the 1950's and 1960's. The biggest names in the American music industry performed on that stage perched on the edge of the Palisades. Diana Ross and the Supremes, Paul Revere and the Raiders, New Jersey's own Lesley Gore, Frankie Avalon, The Fifth Dimension, Lovin' Spoonful, and even a young Billy Joel, to name but a few performed on that historic stage.

    As the 1950's turned into the 1960's a new personality emerged on the scene at the park atop the Palisades, the one and only Bruce Morrow of 77 WABC AM radio fame. All of us Americans know of Uncle Sam, and those of us who grew up in the 1960's in the greater NYC area know our Cousin Brucie. Yes, Bruce Morrow to this day remains our favorite Cousin here in the borough of Fort Lee thanks to his work on the stage of Palisades Amusement Park in the 1960's.




    Of course, the famous concert at Philharmonic Hall in Lincoln Center.

    1. Great info. 2. I'm glad I was not working the door and required to collect the used teabags!

  14. #64
    they did teen shows right up to the release of the At The Copa album; from that point forward, it was more supper clubs and standards, the teen audience was just taken for granted with the steady stream of hit singles aimed at that age group; they did keep doing gigs like Forest Hills Tennis Stadium up until about 1966.. thereafter, it was all night clubs and fancy hotels..and then they were surprised when the automatic #1's stopped coming..

  15. #65
    seems to me if you combine everyone’s answers you get the complete answer. They were doing both arena shows and club acts . They did the forum October 1969 with Edwin Starr and the Jackson Five .

  16. #66
    They always did one-nighters at colleges, universities and civic arenas throughout the late 60s. I saw them in early 1966 at a university - they did the Copa show. I saw then at a civic arena in 1968 - it was the Talk of the Town Show. I saw them at two colleges in my state one week apart in 1969. They did two shows each night, basically the same show as the Farewell program. I had also seen them a few months earlier at a theater in-the-round and they did the same show except for Someday which wasn't released yet.

    Here is a link to a time-line for 1969 from Laurent's wonderful Diana Ross website - appearances are color-coded in orange.

    http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/Tim...re%20September
    Last edited by johnjeb; 01-09-2020 at 11:15 PM.

  17. #67
    I'll pick apart the entire LP again...(sorry I already did that) I love the comment suggesting a medley of 3 pre WDOLG? singles....and they were 3 excellent choices.

    singing Lovelight would have made a great opener...move into Starshine/Where do I Go , I'm Gonna Make You Love Me, ...Keep Stop!, Reflections, and a more studio paced version of Love Child as a stand alone songs w/ punctuating dialogue...pre '64 Your Heart Belongs/ Let Me Go Right/ Breath Taking Guy...Big Spender, DR's Solos, Falling In Love, a extended hits medley with a longer than final Sullivan show medley visit of YKMHO, Baby Love, Come See About Me, Love is Here, YCHL, MWIEWY, a full version of I Hear A Symphony, Impossible Dream, Where Did Our Love Go? and Someday We'll Be Together...good luck Diana

    I would love to have a JMC and MSC live CD...."In Japan" was a big disappointment to me....I am glad I didn't shell out $45 a store by NYU was asking in the late 70's...although I was tempted to own this rarity...and the last line up I have no desire to hear anything further LIVE from at all...and there's not much other than High Energy/Maybe This Time/How Lucky I want to hear again....

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    They always did one-nighters at colleges, universities and civic arenas throughout the late 60s. I saw them in early 1966 at a university - they did the Copa show. I saw then at a civic arena in 1968 - it was the Talk of the Town Show. I saw them at two colleges in my state one week apart in 1969. They did two shows each night, basically the same show as the Farewell program. I had also seen them a few months earlier at a theater in-the-round and they did the same show except for Someday which wasn't released yet.

    Here is a link to a time-line for 1969 from Laurent's wonderful Diana Ross website - appearances are color-coded in orange.

    http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/Tim...re%20September
    absolutely right. the fact that the girls were now playing bigger clubs didn't mean that they didn't still do civic auditoriums and colleges. here's the list of dates i have for the girls in 69

    1/5 Ed sullivan
    1/23 Toronto
    1/24 Ashland Physical Ed Center, Ashland OH
    1/26 Kiel Auditorium, St Louis

    2/17 Bob Hope special
    2/22 Anaheim Convention Center

    3/8 Assembly Hall Champaign, IL
    3/8 Hollywood Palace
    March - Chicago

    April Toronto
    4/4 Deauville Hotel, Miami

    5/11 Ed sullivan

    June 28 Flamingo Hilton
    June 30 - July 6 Carter Barron Theater, DC

    8/9 Winnipeg Arena
    8/16 LA Forum
    8/17 Sports Arena

    Sept - GIT taping
    9/28 Memorial Gym, U of Maine
    9/29 Meehan Auditorium Providence RI
    10/3 Boston Univ
    10/5 Hartford Conn
    10/18 Hollywood Palace

    12/21 Ed sullivan

  19. #69
    sup_fan you're list is missing a couple of concerts I attended in '69....9/27/69 at my university UMass Amherst...I also went to the show the following week 10/03 which was at Boston College not Boston University....I saw them in July 1969 at Carousel Theater in Framingham MA....you can verify the dates on Laurent' s site...sorry for the blunt response I'm on my Kindle away from home rather than my computer....John

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    sup_fan you're list is missing a couple of concerts I attended in '69....9/27/69 at my university UMass Amherst...I also went to the show the following week 10/03 which was at Boston College not Boston University....I saw them in July 1969 at Carousel Theater in Framingham MA....you can verify the dates on Laurent' s site...sorry for the blunt response I'm on my Kindle away from home rather than my computer....John
    no worries whatsoever! i've updated my spreadsheet with your data

    thanks!!

    and of course - any fun stories or memories from the shows to share?

  21. #71
    Was never a fan of Let the Sunshine cover on lp or live version. Visually it was nice on laugh in but it seems soul less...imo.
    I would have preferred more hits over the 5th dimension cover

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.