[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick ~ I'll Never Fall In Love Again [[1969)

One of the most beautiful songs ever recorded. Released around this time.....50 years ago!

One of Dionne's very best songs [[and still one of my favorites 50 years later).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    One of Dionne's very best songs [[and still one of my favorites 50 years later).
    It is still very pleasant to hear. It's from a time when music was simple and really said something.

Nice bouncy tune,one of her best.

With so many truly great Bacharach/David songs in her catalog, I hardly ever listen to this one. Even though it was a hit and Grammy winner I don't think it is among the best of their collaborations. It is pleasant, though.

For me their absolute best work together was their final album, the one released in 1972 and simply titled "Dionne." It featured some of her best vocals, wonderful orchestration, and in a few cases some socially-conscious lyrics. However, as I understand it, the album was not even remotely promoted because they were suing one another at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    For me their absolute best work together was their final album, the one released in 1972 and simply titled "Dionne." It featured some of her best vocals, wonderful orchestration, and in a few cases some socially-conscious lyrics. However, as I understand it, the album was not even remotely promoted because they were suing one another at the time.
    I heard about that. What did you think of this song/recording?

If you mean "I'll Never Fall in Love Again," I would agree it is a nice song and very catchy. But like someone else said it is just not at the top of the list for me.

I have looked for footage of Dionne's television performances of this song for many years. This was the only one I could find. I remember she performed it several times on TV in 1969-70.

Listening to the recording in my original post sounded a bit different from what I remembered. It must have been a re-recording. This is the real deal here!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    For me personally it stands for her end of the Scepter Years, a little bit like a closing. The "Dionne" album contains very good Bachrach tunes and then I think of the unreleased tunes like "And then you know what he did", "And then he walk right through the door" or "Plastic city". This time was perfect for Bacharach tunes, because they had a longer play time nearly 4:00 minutes and more possibilties to create the track with orchesteration and types of different beats in one track, sadly her contract broke with Bacharach / David and it was not possible to continue this great colloberation.

Likely one of the most memorable lines sung in lyrics:

What do you get when you kiss a guy?
    You get enough germs to catch pneumonia

Clever atypical lyrics not being sung from the reference of a love struck girl. Here Dionne is a [[ more liberated?) woman who has a little more savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Likely one of the most memorable lines sung in lyrics:

What do you get when you kiss a guy?
    You get enough germs to catch pneumonia

Clever atypical lyrics not being sung from the reference of a love struck girl. Here Dionne is a [[ more liberated?) woman who has a little more savvy.
    Whoever came up with "He'll never phone ya" to rhyme with "pneumonia" was a genius in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Whoever came up with "He'll never phone ya" to rhyme with "pneumonia" was a genius in my opinion.
    Hal was a very clever writer. I saw a new PBS show on Dione last night. It featured a lot of videos that I've never seen. It also made me want to get out the CDs that I have on her.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Hal was a very clever writer. I saw a new PBS show on Dione last night. It featured a lot of videos that I've never seen. It also made me want to get out the CDs that I have on her.
    "So for at least , until tomorrow....I'll never fall in love again." So never could last as long as tomorrow? Very clever lyrics indeed!

another thing that works with this song , it isn't being sung cynically about how love ain't worth it. Despite all Dionne's objections , one senses she'll soon be right back at it once love offers itself again.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-01-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    another thing that works with this song , it isn't being sung cynically about how love ain't worth it. Despite all Dionne's objections , one senses she'll soon be right back at it once love offers itself again.
    Exactly! She doesn't swear it off permanently. She's just disappointed at the moment.