[REMOVE ADS]

Diana/Supremes First Single?

I was interested in finding out what was the first single [[45rpm) that you bought of Diana / Supremes.

I first saw Diana on the big screen in The Wiz, but it would take 5 years before I bought the single: Pieces Of Ice. I know I played it 100x that day on my sister's record player.

I can also vividly remember staying up all night, talking on the phone, waiting for the POI video to be played on Night Tracks. 1983 was an incredible year for music and brings back such great memories.

I think our musical tastes has much to do with when we first started buying music. My favorite albums are those from the RCA years. I have come to appreciate her entire career, but the 80s is always my goto music.

The cassette single of "Workin' Overtime" by Diana.

I forgot about Cassette Singles 😁

I bought Workin' Overtime on CS, CD single and 12inch vinyl. If they released a 45..I do not have that. The last one I got was If We Hold On Together [[1988).

Quote Originally Posted by MotownGold View Post
    I forgot about Cassette Singles 😁

I bought Workin' Overtime on CS, CD single and 12inch vinyl. If they released a 45..I do not have that. The last one I got was If We Hold On Together [[1988).
    My first Diana single purchase was Love Hangover. I was 10 years old...

My first Supremes’ 45 rpm purchase was “When The Lovelight Starts Shining...” in late ’63. Still diggin’ the Motown sound!

My first Diana 45 was "It's My Turn." I was 9 and smitten for life.

My first Diana single was Remember Me, and it is still my all time favorite Diana song of her whole career.

1964 It was winter and we had an icerink in a playground near my house.
    Family came over to skate and afterwards I played my new record to them Name:  R-2723708-1298149702.jpeg.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  88.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Too bad it didn't turn out to be hit song 😁
    It is amazing how one song can bring back such vivid memories. All different experiences but in many ways the same shared story.

For me, it's also 'It's My Turn'. That wasn't the first Diana record I'd bought but prior to that I'd only bought albums. This being a non-album single meant I had to buy it, though I hadn't heard the song beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    For me, it's also 'It's My Turn'. That wasn't the first Diana record I'd bought but prior to that I'd only bought albums. This being a non-album single meant I had to buy it, though I hadn't heard the song beforehand.
    Same here. My parents had gotten me the Wiz soundtrack and diana prior to this...which they would soon regret.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    diana prior to this...which they would soon regret.
    lol - I bought 'diana' because I was into CHIC music. But then I bought two 'greatest hits' albums which had been released fairly recently - DR&TS 20 Golden Greats [[the lips cover) & the Diana Ross 20 Golden Greats [[with all the UK hits) so then I was a convert

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    lol - I bought 'diana' because I was into CHIC music. But then I bought two 'greatest hits' albums which had been released fairly recently - DR&TS 20 Golden Greats [[the lips cover) & the Diana Ross 20 Golden Greats [[with all the UK hits) so then I was a convert
    Ahhh, yes, that solo 20 Golden Greats was my touchstone a couple of years later; I found it as a cutout in one of our local grocery stores! Welcome to SDF, by the way!

The first single that I bought by Diana Ross & The Supremes was "Love Child" in 1968 [[and the first Diana Ross solo single that I bought was "Upside Down").

The first single I bought myself was YOU"RE A SPECIAL PART OF ME by Diana and Marvin Gaye, followed by the DIANA AND MARVIN album. Before then, I had various albums and singles that my relatives bought for me.

First Supremes single: Nothing But Heartaches/He Holds His Own [[Aug. 1965) with picture sleeve
    I just realized I've never bought a Diana Ross single. First Diana Ross album was Diana Ross [[1970), of course.

first lp Supremes anthology 1975 christmas present
    first ross single love Hangover
    first ross lp Diana ross 76
    first supremes single???floy joy I think

My first Diana single was ROAT with its beautiful pink picture sleeve; not sure of first Supremes single. First Diana lp was her first solo lp; first Supremes was the double GH complete with oil portrait reproductions inside.

My first Diana Ross 45 single I bought was the theme to Mahogany. Do you know where your going too?

Stop in the Name of Love

In Canada, it was really Baby Love that was the first huge hit - not WDOLG

First Supremes Album - Where Did Our Love Go [[December 1964)
    First Supremes Single - Stop! In The Name Of Love [[picture sleeve - February 1965)

Since those purchases I bought every Supremes' and Diana Ross record [[singles and albums) the day or week of release - or received as a gift if it was near Christmas or my December birthday. [[Liverpool, CW&P, Sam Cooke, Apollo and Paris I bought in the Spring of 1966.) I bought mono until GH in '67 when everything was only available in stereo at my local shops.

In the early 70s I bought duplicates of all my Supremes albums. I was able to get the stereo releases of those albums that I had in mono. I also found pre-WDOLG Motown singles for $.10 each! Their two Tamla singles cost a bit more, but under $5.00.

The Supremes were over before I was born, so I never had the chance to purchase a new single during original release. My mother had a 45 of "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" which I used to play a lot, and I was gifted a 45 of "Love Child" by one of my mom's friends when I first got heavily into the Supremes as a teenager. In the late 90s I happened upon a 45 of "No Matter What Sign You Are" at a flea market and I purchased it because it had "The Young Folks" on the flip and I had not yet found a copy of Cream Of the Crop and so I had never heard the song before. I actually haven't thought about that in so long. The memory just returned to me as a result of this thread. First album I bought was Meet the Supremes.

Regarding Diana, my mom had a 45 of "Touch Me In the Morning", which I loved. I don't believe I've ever purchased a Diana single. First Diana album I bought I'm pretty sure was All The Great Hits.