[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes - Silent Night

Thanks Marv! Guess this negates they theory that Flo’s voice was untrained!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks Marv! Guess this negates they theory that Flo’s voice was untrained!
    You're welcome DET! Florence was a great singer.

Even though I love Florence's version of Silent Night, I always thought that Oh Holy Night was far superior, even though both songs didn't have the arrangement that she needed...

Different Take from the 2015 mix:
    https://youtu.be/3EK9VIRP_Mg

Earlier released mix with the first take:
    https://youtu.be/8TkWeQfdpo4

Does anyone know what studio Flo recorded Silent Night and Oh Holy Night? Sometimes I think they should have plucked her from the Sups and crafted her comedic and singing talents into a one woman show.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvinDK View Post
    Even though I love Florence's version of Silent Night, I always thought that Oh Holy Night was far superior, even though both songs didn't have the arrangement that she needed...

Different Take from the 2015 mix:
    https://youtu.be/3EK9VIRP_Mg

Earlier released mix with the first take:
    https://youtu.be/8TkWeQfdpo4
    I'm not too fond of Flo's "Silent Night", but definitely agree about "Oh Holy Night". That's a fantastic vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Does anyone know what studio Flo recorded Silent Night and Oh Holy Night?
    Hitsville.

Does anyone know- or maybe George or Andy can pop in and shed some light- why only a partial part of "Silent Night" made it onto the Never Before Released album? Was that the only part that was found originally or did they run out of space and wanted to at least add another Flo lead, even if just a part?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm not too fond of Flo's "Silent Night", but definitely agree about "Oh Holy Night". That's a fantastic vocal.
    I love her version of "Silent Night," but it could have benefited greatly by bringing the key down a couple of steps. It seems like it was too high for both Diana and Florence, which is probably ultimately why they canned it.

"Oh Holy Night" was in Flo's sweet spot, range-wise, but it was just too damn slow, in my opinion. It took 3 minutes just to get through one verse and chorus! They should have cut it at a faster tempo.

Speaking of keys, I know Motown would frequently cut tracks not necessarily knowing to whom it would be assigned, or they would cut it for one artist but then give it another. I wonder what they were thinking with "Silent Night," because it was clearly a little to high for any of the Supremes. Considering the track was cut in LA with the rest of the tracks, I would think it would be, but then I would also think that the arrangers would have been a little more cognizant of the ranges of each of the ladies to whom it was intended.

with both O Holy and Silent, there are moments of Flo's vocals that are stunning and some that are not so great. but it wouldn't have been too hard then to have swapped vocals on verses and choruses. piece it together. But odds are these are just unfinished tracks. my guess is flo spent an afternoon working with the producers on it, running through them a time or two and then quickly recording. if they were really serious about including 1 Mary and 1 Flo tune on the album, they probably would have scheduled another session to clean things up

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I love her version of "Silent Night," but it could have benefited greatly by bringing the key down a couple of steps. It seems like it was too high for both Diana and Florence, which is probably ultimately why they canned it.

"Oh Holy Night" was in Flo's sweet spot, range-wise, but it was just too damn slow, in my opinion. It took 3 minutes just to get through one verse and chorus! They should have cut it at a faster tempo.

Speaking of keys, I know Motown would frequently cut tracks not necessarily knowing to whom it would be assigned, or they would cut it for one artist but then give it another. I wonder what they were thinking with "Silent Night," because it was clearly a little to high for any of the Supremes. Considering the track was cut in LA with the rest of the tracks, I would think it would be, but then I would also think that the arrangers would have been a little more cognizant of the ranges of each of the ladies to whom it was intended.
    agree!!!!! many of the tunes on Xmas are oddly slow. Bethlehem is taken as a funeral dirge pace

White Christmas is also very slow but it seems to sort of work there. And then we get the runaway train effect with Joy To The World lol

another problem with the pacing is that it makes it even more challenging to stay on pitch. had the tempo been picked up a bit, you probably would have had Flo being able to sing with a bit more energy and breath and that would have helped