[REMOVE ADS]

Mitch Ryder "The Complete Dynovoice/New Voice Recordings" 3CD set 2/21/2020

RPM Records is pleased to present the most detailed overview of the hitmaking career of Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels. This is the first CD set to feature all of the albums he recorded for Bob Crewe’s Dynovoice and New Voice labels between 1966 and 1969 on three packed CDs

Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels may well be the most underrated rock band in American music history. Despite his string of influential mid-sixties chart hits and his undeniable influence over a string of late sixties and early seventies bands he still remains inexplicably absent from The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio. Since about 1975 onwards one of his biggest fans, Bruce Springsteen, has incorporated into his show a segment he calls “The Detroit Medley” based on two of Mitch’s biggest hits. Amongst those bands who acknowledge how much they benefitted from Mitch Ryder’s breakout from the Detroit rock scene were The MC5, Alice Cooper and Bob Seger.

Until Mitch Ryder began to fill Detroit’s rock clubs to capacity the city’s musical contributions were dominated by Motown and Detroit’s soul singers both male and female took all of the accolades. A local DJ brought him to the attention of Bob Crewe who was by 1966 one of the hottest producers in America responsible for a non-stop string of hits by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons since 1962.

Ryder’s first 45 tanked but the second ‘Jenny Take A Ride’ was a top ten smash and surprisingly his only British hit peaking at No 33. This hit set the style for the bands career over the next three years and was a medley of Little Richard’s ‘Jenny, Jenny, Jenny’ and the R&B standard, ‘See, See Rider’.

“Sockin’ It to You” features three CDs containing all five of their albums for Crewe plus all of the non-LP 45 releases, including one LP and several single sides making their CD debut.

Disc One features the albums “Take A Ride” which includes the single hit, ‘Jenny Take A Ride’ and “Breakout” which features the hit singles, ‘Devil with A Blue Dress’, ‘Little Latin Lupe Lu’ and ‘Breakout’.

Disc Two features the album “Sock It to Me” and the singles ‘Sock It to Me Baby’ and ‘Takin’ All I Can Get’. Next comes the album “All Mitch Ryder Hits”, a compilation set that featured one new track a version of the Motown hit for The Marvelettes, ‘Too Many Fish in The Sea’ and the vintage novelty song, ‘Three Little Fishes’. This was a marketing ploy very popular in the 60s to include one or two ‘new’ recordings in greatest hits collections. We have not included the rest of the album as all of the tracks are already featured. CD2 ends with an album never before released on CD “Mitch Ryder Sings the Hits”: this was a collection put together by Crewe after he had parted company with Ryder and features remixes and overdubs on a collection of songs released on previous albums and singles. Some of the tracks are very different whilst others are presented in a more subtly modified form. Typically, Crewe also included two tracks that were previously unissued on LP: ‘Ruby Baby/Peaches On A Cherry Tree’ and a version of ‘You Are My Sunshine’.

Disc Three completes the package with an album that was intended to launch a solo career and a collection of 45-only tracks several of which are making their CD debut. The album features the hit single ‘What Now My Love’ and ‘Blessing in Disguise’, ‘One Grain of Sand’, ‘Lights of The Night’ and ‘Ring Your Bell’ make their first appearance on a CD. The set is completed by a radio promo spot with Mitch telling teens how to keep their room tidy!

The extensive booklet comes with detailed informative historical notes and numerous reproductions of news stories and reviews from the pages of American trade magazines like Billboard and Cashbox. It also contains full details of the peak chart positions of all of the singles and LPs from Billboard, Cashbox and Record World, America’s leading music trade magazines.

All in all, this is the most comprehensive 65-track ultimate tribute to the early chart riding career of Mitch Ryder who is still on the road today and will be touring Europe again in 2020.

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    1. Shake A Tail Feather
    2. Come See About Me
    3. Let Your Lovelight Shine / Turn On Your Lovelight
    4. Just A Little Bit
    5. I Hope
    6. Jenny Take A Ride
    7. Please, Please, Please
    8. I’ll Go Crazy
    9. I Got You [[I Feel Good)
    10. Sticks And Stones
    11. Bring It On Home To Me
    12. Baby Jane [[Mo, Mo Jane)
    13. Devil With A Blue Dress On – Good Golly Miss Molly
    14. Walking The Dog
    15. I Had It Made
    16. In The Midnight Hour
    17. Oo Poo Pah Doo
    18. I Like It Like That
    19. Little Latin Lupe Lu
    20. You Get Your Kicks
    21. Shakin’ With Linda
    22. Stubborn Kind Of Fellow
    23. Any Day Now
    24. I Need Help
    25. Breakout

[CD2]
    1. Sock It To Me – Baby
    2. I Can’t Hide It
    3. Takin’ All I Can Get
    4. Slow Fizz [[Instrumental)
    5. Walk On By
    6. I Never Had It Better
    7. Shakedown
    8. A Face In The Crowd
    9. I’d Rather Go To Jail
    10. Wild Child
    11. Too Many Fish In The Sea – Three Little Fishes
    12. Let Your Lovelight Shine / Turn On Your Lovelight
    13. Walking The Dog
    14. Sticks And Stones
    15. I Like It Like That
    16. Please, Please, Please
    17. Ruby Baby / Peaches On A Cherry Tree
    18. Come See About Me
    19. Walk On By
    20. Stubborn Kind Of Fellow
    21. You Are My Sunshine
    22. I Got You

[CD3]
    1. Let It Be Me
    2. I Make A Fool Of Myself
    3. Born To Lose
    4. If You Go Away [[Ne Me Quitte Pas)
    5. What Now My Love
    6. Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On
    7. Sally Go ’Round The Roses
    8. Brown Eyed Handsome Man
    9. I Need Lovin’ You
    10. That’s It I Quit, I’m Movin’ On
    11. Blessing In Disguise
    12. One Grain Of Sand
    13. Joy
    14. [[You’ve Got) Personality – Chantilly Lace
    15. Lights Of The Night
    16. Baby I Need Your Loving – Theme For Mitch
    17. Ring Your Bell
    18. Radio Promo
    Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082PQTRL6/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082PQTRL6/?tag=imwan-21

At the risk of repeating myself "Keep Them Coming!" However I have my doubts that I would buy this one because I already have a pretty decent two CD set covering all his hits.

It seems a fair price. I must say I'm tempted.