[REMOVE ADS]

Toni Smith of “Funkin’ for Jamaica [[N.Y.)” Fame Dies

I am very sorry to hear this. I LOVED the record "Funkin' For Jamaica" and have spent many memorable nights partying in Jamaica, Queens. Thank you Toni. God Bless and rest in peace.

Marv

For the uninitiated...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am very sorry to hear this. I LOVED the record "Funkin' For Jamaica" and have spent many memorable nights partying in Jamaica, Queens. Thank you Toni. God Bless and rest in peace.

Marv
    RIP, Tonni Smith. That track -- her voice -- travelled across the world. We partied to it in Chicago, the skating rink in particular would wear it out. One of the most-loved songs of its time.

This makes me want to watch 20 Feet From Stardom again. Every city in the country has singers who could put the most popular artists to shame and those folks never get the opportunity for a million reasons. At least Toni Smith knows she brought joy to millions who weren't aware they were hearing her [[like me). Rest in peace, Sister Toni.

In the early 2000s, I was a waiter at a nightclub in NYC; we had an amazing open mic night. One evening, this unassuming schoolteacher-looking lady [[eyeglasses and all) sat in my section. Later, the band acknowledged her as somebody who had had a hit record we all knew and loved; she proceeded to go onstage and blow the club to smithereens with her vocals. It was like Clark Kent became Chaka Khan before our very eyes. I asked her when she sat back down, “What was your hit record?” She sheepishly looked at me and quietly said, “Jamaica Funk.” You could’ve knocked me over with a feather. So thankful I had a brush with such a talented, lovely person. RIP Toni/Tonni.
    Last edited by sansradio; 01-29-2020 at 01:08 AM.

So sorry to hear about this. RIP Toni Smith.

RIP. That was a great song. Her vocals made it special.

Lest we forget, Tom and Toni co-wrote and performed this stone jam of a follow-up: