[REMOVE ADS]

Dame Shirley Bassey - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas 2019

Dame Shirley Bassey is simply magnificent in this performance recorded last week. She is 82 [[83 in a few weeks) and she looks and sounds marvelous. Gifted with spectacular longevity and a voice like no other.

One of Aretha's favorite singers. Merry Christmas, Soulful Detroit-ers

[QUOTE=Guy;555728]Dame Shirley Bassey is simply magnificent in this performance recorded last week. She is 82 [[83 in a few weeks) and she looks and sounds marvelous. Gifted with spectacular longevity and a voice like no other.

One of Aretha's favorite singers. Merry Christmas, Soulful Detroit-ers

[/QU
    Has certainly taken care of her voice. The performance speaks for itself.

Lovely. Thanks!

what a wonderful Christmas gift. Thank you. Anyone know who the men are?

Never heard of them, but they are Michael Ball and Alfie Boe.
    Yes, Thank you for this wonderful Christmas gift. When I saw that she was going to sing with the two men, I feared that they were there to sing with and cover up her singing ineffectiveness because of age. Boy, was I wrong. Love this lady. She still has the great powerful voice and knows how to use it.

Just found a bigger clip. It shows a comedic side of Dame Shirley. Instead of making an entrance coming down the stairway, she sneaked on stage behind Michael and Alfie. Evidently, it was their special, but Shirley said it was her show. This clip was an amazing gift. So happy to see her still in top form.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    what a wonderful Christmas gift. Thank you. Anyone know who the men are?
    They are British singers, and in Michael's case a star of various West end musicals.He is also a dj on radio 2. He is a nice guy. I met him when he participated in a Royal Variety Performance in which Diana Ross topped the bill. I think it was 1991. Alfie Boe is also a really nice guy. This clip is from their Christmas tv special.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    They are British singers, and in Michael's case a star of various West end musicals.He is also a dj on radio 2. He is a nice guy. I met him when he participated in a Royal Variety Performance in which Diana Ross topped the bill. I think it was 1991. Alfie Boe is also a really nice guy. This clip is from their Christmas tv special.
    Is it from this year? She looks and sounds amazing.

What a wonderful clip! Thanks for sharing. I have always said that Shirley has the best and most powerful voice in the business and to still have it at her age is magnificent. Would love to see her continue recording but [[sigh!) it doesn't seem like very many artists do that anymore.........

I love Shirley Bassey. On one of her live albums, she dedicates the song "The Second Time Around" to her husband in the audience, whom she had just married [[for the second time!). On another of her albums, she sings a song called "Davy" with a male singer, about a young man into drugs, and I think I read that she had a son who the song was really about.

My mother introduced me to Bassey's music. But my mom, in her inimitable way, said to me "She's a great singer, except you can only listen to her at night!" My mom often says things which don't seem to make much sense at first, but in a way on this one, I think she is right. Bassey's voice somehow belongs in the p.m. hours!

Another observation I would have about this clip.......she is MUCH better when singing on her own. She does not come across at all well in a duet or group setting.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I love Shirley Bassey. On one of her live albums, she dedicates the song "The Second Time Around" to her husband in the audience, whom she had just married [[for the second time!). On another of her albums, she sings a song called "Davy" with a male singer, about a young man into drugs, and I think I read that she had a son who the song was really about.
    Yes, Dame Shirley recorded "Davy" as a duet with the song's composer, the late Benard Ighner, in or around 1974. Ighner was probably best known for writing "Everything Must Change" a song that has been recorded by almost everyone. Ighner first recorded it with Quincy Jones' on his classic 1974 LP "Body Heat."

According to Ighner, Bassey insisted that he record "Davy" with her. Per DavidDesper's observation, Bassey was never keen on duets. She avoided them for her entire 60 year recording career. "Davy" is a notable exception. "Davy" was also memorably recorded by Marlena Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Is it from this year? She looks and sounds amazing.
    Yes it is. It was recorded in November.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    What a wonderful clip! Thanks for sharing. I have always said that Shirley has the best and most powerful voice in the business and to still have it at her age is magnificent. Would love to see her continue recording but [[sigh!) it doesn't seem like very many artists do that anymore.........
    She is happily semi retired. There is always the possibility of a new album, but she is not really that concerned about doing it.

BTW: Davy was also recorded by Marlena Shaw on her Who Is This Bitch, Anyway? Album

Michael Ball tried for a pop-sicle [[pop classical - I just made that up) career here in the US maybe 10 or more years ago. It didn't take but he is a pleasant presence and sure can sing.

She is happily semi retired. There is always the possibility of a new album, but she is not really that concerned about doing it.
    ... and I can just assume one's own concern is more about not having to 'experience' Sassy Bassey close up and personal

Bassey's run of 1970's lps was wonderful. For me, not a dud in the batch.

You got that right! The "And I Love You So" album was sensational. She was at her best on just about every cut on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    You got that right! The "And I Love You So" album was sensational. She was at her best on just about every cut on that one.
    Her phrasing on the song AILYS is master-class.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    ... and I can just assume one's own concern is more about not having to 'experience' Sassy Bassey close up and personal
    Draw your own conclusions! No further comment needed!

Draw your own conclusions! No further comment needed!

That was the song that introduced me to Shirley but as I discovered her full catalogue, I found many more favorites......Ballad of the Sad Young Men, I'd Do it All Again, You Take My Heart Away, and Can You Read My Mind are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Never heard of them, but they are Michael Ball and Alfie Boe.
    Yes, Thank you for this wonderful Christmas gift. When I saw that she was going to sing with the two men, I feared that they were there to sing with and cover up her singing ineffectiveness because of age. Boy, was I wrong. Love this lady. She still has the great powerful voice and knows how to use it.
    Oh, I am also delighted with the voice of this lady. She is incredible! And the performance is absolutely top-notch! Keep it up!

Thank you for this lovely Christmas Gift!
    Ms. Bassey's grand voice is still spectacular!
    Her cover of The Beatles "Something" is always a joy to hear!

Shirley Bassey is among the last great singers of yesteryear-- in a class all by herself.

Thanks for sharing.

It’s surprising that Shirley has never recorded a Christmas album...