[REMOVE ADS]

Respect Movie Sneak Preview [[Aretha Franklin Movie)

Here is a sneak preview of Respect. Did not realize they were actually making this movie:

Thank you Luciano! I really wished Aretha was here to see it. It should be quite good.

Hudson is a talented lady but captures absolutely nothing of Aretha. I don't mean something as meagre as 'looks like', but rather body language, facial expressions, etc.

Hudson is a powerhouse but she has almost no vocal similarity to Aretha. That sneak peak is Effie White singing an Aretha song. I have my fingers crossed for the best but....

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Hudson is a powerhouse but she has almost no vocal similarity to Aretha. That sneak peak is Effie White singing an Aretha song. I have my fingers crossed for the best but....
    Well said. Aretha had a subtlety, a knowing when to hold back, that is not evident in this clip.

Wow,i didn't know it was coming so soon,these things sometimes get caught up in red tape,i gotta check it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thank you Luciano! I really wished Aretha was here to see it. It should be quite good.
    Hey Marv. Wasn’t Aretha-Franklin ready for someone to do a movie on her life? sometimes I wish they would simply do an honest bio/Mimi series of an entertainer’s life. A movie can barely scratch the surface. But there is $$$ to be made. But Ms. Hudson is def a capable entertainer/actress and should do a good job.

The movie would've probably been in limbo if Aretha was alive... I imagine this movie will be similar to Rocketman.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I agree.

I'm a fan of JHUD, But, I'm hoping and praying things go as Queen Aretha planned.

Didn't the queen want[halle berry]to portray her?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Aretha when she was older but Halle turned her down. I think this one may stop at around the early 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Halle Berry: 'Someone Should Tell Aretha That I Can't Do Her Justice'

https://www.theroot.com/halle-berry-...-do-1790862438

"When asked about starring in the film, Berry stated, "I can't sing! If I could carry a tune, I'd consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice."

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post

"When asked about starring in the film, Berry stated, "I can't sing! If I could carry a tune, I'd consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice."

I'm sure Halle found it difficult to say that she didn't want to play Aretha but this was a wimpy excuse. No one expected her to actually sing in the role. And not being able to sing certainly didn't keep her from playing Dorothy Dandridge [[and lipsyncing to another singer's vocals).

But Aretha really did want Halle. She even went so far as to drop news in the press that she and Halle were distant relatives.

Halle was right,she doesn't look like aretha even a little bit,she had more in common physically with dorothy dandridge.

No one can sing the part but Jennifer, but let’s face it, girlfriend can’t act her way out of a paper bag. And they gave her an Oscar, and she cannot act at all…… This is going to be quite interesting hearing all these great Aretha songs sung admirably by Jennifer and, unless she has had Extensive acting lessons, cringing at the way she recites her dialogue.

You're welcome Marv! Happy Holidays to you.

Right now the release date is scheduled for August 14, 2020. In addition to Jennifer Hudson as Aretha, the movie will have the following cast members:

Forest Whitaker as C.L. Franklin
    Leroy McClain as Cecil Franklin
    Audra McDonald as Barbara Franklin
    Marlon Wayans as Ted White
    Tituss Brugess as Rev. James Cleveland
    Mary J. Blige as Dinah Washington
    Hailey Kilgore as Carolyn Franklin
    Saigon Senbloh as Erma Franklin
    Lodric Collins as Smokey Robinson
    Heather Headley as Clara Ward
    Gilbert Glenn Brown as Martin Luther King
    Marc Maron as Jerry Wexler

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hey Marv. Wasn’t Aretha-Franklin ready for someone to do a movie on her life? sometimes I wish they would simply do an honest bio/Mimi series of an entertainer’s life. A movie can barely scratch the surface. But there is $$$ to be made. But Ms. Hudson is def a capable entertainer/actress and should do a good job.
    Yes, she was ready. She at first wanted Halle Berry to play her, but Halle declined because she cannot sing. Her second choice was Jennifer Hudson and that's who got the part! I agree that when considering a film on the life of someone so massively culturally significant as Aretha Franklin, it is impossible to cover it in a 2-hour film.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The movie would've probably been in limbo if Aretha was alive... I imagine this movie will be similar to Rocketman.
    Nah she wanted this film to be made as far back as 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post

I have a strong suspicion that there were some hurt feelings on Aretha's part from Halle Berry's declining the offer for the role.

Nah she wanted this film to be made as far back as 2011.
    I know she did but it would've still been some issues. That being said, she did finally give Jennifer Hudson the okay before she got real sick.