[REMOVE ADS]

Katherine And the Marvelettes

Thanks for posting, however, in my opinion, that was depressing. A mere figment of the original sounding group. Just my two cents.

I hear you but I think it’s good Katherine an owner of the name and getting out there.

I would have to agree with Woodward. I think I would rather have my CDs, their occasional inclusion on oldies stations, and of course wonderful memories of the good old days. But kudos to Katherine for having the energy and desire to get up on stage.

Sorry, but sometimes you just have to close up shop and head into the sunset for a new adventure.

Bloody awful. Sorry Kat but this is a very bad idea.

I love Kat. She is such a genuinely nice and warm person.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I love Kat. She is such a genuinely nice and warm person.
    Be great if Wanda would a attend a show or two. Hope she is feeling well.

And Wyanetta and Georgia!

Yes good point my bad!

A suggestion; now that Katherine has rights to The Marvelettes name, she should allow someone else to perform for her [[similar to what Maurice White with EW&F when he developed Parkinson's). Thanks anyway to Luke for sharing the clip.

It wouldn't be so bad if Katherine did a little choreography with the group; she looks like some random Grandma that just jumped on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It wouldn't be so bad if Katherine did a little choreography with the group; she looks like some random Grandma that just jumped on stage.
    Kat had a stroke several years ago. It is great to see her standing without her cane.
    She and the Marvelettes gave Motown it's very first national number one hit record. So, she is far from just "some random Grandma". She is a part of an American Music Legend! Thank you.
    Last edited by marv2; 12-24-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Marv..you ain't never lied!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    A suggestion; now that Katherine has rights to The Marvelettes name, she should allow someone else to perform for her [[similar to what Maurice White with EW&F when he developed Parkinson's). Thanks anyway to Luke for sharing the clip.
    Since she is the only original member doesn't she have to perform to use the name?

Good point and Marv well said. That a Motown icon can help carry on the criminally neglected Marvelettes is wonderful. This situation will happen more as our beloved singers age. But good for Katherine for not retreating away to some home. She can still sing and stand. That should be celebrated!

Kat had a stroke several years ago. It is great to see her standing without her cane.
    She and the Marvelettes gave Motown it's very first national number one hit record. So, she is far from just "some random Grandma". She is a part of an American Music Legend! Thank you.
    Isn't it true that the Marvelettes were the springboard to get the company "flush" with cash to boost the company forward?

Just watched the clip again to see what I missed; something that clearly you see that I don't. Still can't find it. Grandma Kat swaying in the breeze while the grand girls hop around stage. The intro was just a bit over the top too; these girls weren't even out of diapers when the Marvelettes were inducted into the R&B Hall of Fame, much less alive when they were recording for Motown. I guess each their own.

Good to see Kat performing though after years and years of saying she'd never walk onstage again. I guess the almighty dollar speaks!

I have not seen this group in person but I would think a good idea would be to let the younger ladies come out and do most of the hits to get the audience in the mood and then introduce Kat at some point during the show and let her part of it be more of a speaking engagement and a walk down Memory Lane, with her participating in a few songs toward the close. A true fan would enjoy hearing her stories as much as the music.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Isn't it true that the Marvelettes were the springboard to get the company "flush" with cash to boost the company forward?
    Yes; The Marvelettes debut, "Please Mr. Postman", was Motown's first single to top both the R&B & Pop charts [[and it helped Motown get the money from record distributors that they were owed from their previous hit, "Shop Around").
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 12-28-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    True. The Marvelettes did not get the benefits of Artist Development when they hit, but because of their early hits, Motown was able to offer such programs to the rest of the artists later on.

True. The Marvelettes did not get the benefits of Artist Development when they hit, but because of their early hits, Motown was able to offer such programs to the rest of the artists later on.
    Also, remember this quote by Martha Reeves from the Forever More collection; "The Marvelettes paved the way for Motown's girls; The Supremes, everybody. If they hadn't worked, we wouldn't have worked".

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Also, remember this quote by Martha Reeves from the Forever More collection; "The Marvelettes paved the way for Motown's girls; The Supremes, everybody. If they hadn't worked, we wouldn't have worked".

Which is why Kat and all the Marvelettes deserve much respect!