[REMOVE ADS]

The one Supremes Mary less performance

I believe it was at the Copa. Jean then Mary got ill but I think there was tension going on. Cindy came in and then got in trouble for leaving because another Supreme got” ill”. Jules Powell banned them forever. Do I have my facts straight?

it was in spring of 72 where there was supposed to be a large overseas tour of Australia and other areas including Hawaii. mary states that, even though Lynda was new, they were planning on taking the MJL lineup there. but somehow/some reason most of the tour was cancelled. Mary states they were able to save the Hawaii dates which were in April 72

but then Jean got sick. Mary doesn't explain why or what was wrong and even alludes to having some suspicions about the situation. some fans have said recently they believed Jean has high blood pressure. i'm not sure. But Jean was ill and not able to attend Hawaii. these were pretty much Lynda's first shows and MLC did them. there are pics of them online and sometimes you can find audio clips of Stoned Love and Exodus on youtube

the girls then went to Copa in June 72. the story goes that MJL started the engagement, then jean was sick again and Cindy came in for another MLC lineup. then mary supposedly got sick and it was LJC lineup. i'm guessing these were maybe just 1 night each. then MJL finished the gig

The Australia tour was supposed to be Cindy’s last tour. Mary wanted Lynda to come along and the Hawaii concert was in May

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it was in spring of 72 where there was supposed to be a large overseas tour of Australia and other areas including Hawaii. mary states that, even though Lynda was new, they were planning on taking the MJL lineup there. but somehow/some reason most of the tour was cancelled. Mary states they were able to save the Hawaii dates which were in April 72

but then Jean got sick. Mary doesn't explain why or what was wrong and even alludes to having some suspicions about the situation. some fans have said recently they believed Jean has high blood pressure. i'm not sure. But Jean was ill and not able to attend Hawaii. these were pretty much Lynda's first shows and MLC did them. there are pics of them online and sometimes you can find audio clips of Stoned Love and Exodus on youtube

the girls then went to Copa in June 72. the story goes that MJL started the engagement, then jean was sick again and Cindy came in for another MLC lineup. then mary supposedly got sick and it was LJC lineup. i'm guessing these were maybe just 1 night each. then MJL finished the gig
    I have also read that Cindy's very last show with Mary and Jean was in Toronto. I've seen a few pics from it.

I do know that MSC last performance was in Toronto Jan31, 1976

My cousin...who introduced me to the Supremes...was at the Copa gig. It was Prom Season. I asked him if Mary wore any blonde hair and he told me she wasn't there. He mentioned Cindy was there....[[Jean, Cindy and some new girl...I was told) I thought he ought to have paid more attention. Of course Mary was there...she was the only original and Cindy already left b/c she was pregnant....he did mention that they were sitting back away's toward the side, and because there was a column in the way, he was only able to see 2 singers at a time most of the show. Compared to todays cabarets, the Copa was very small...I always wondered how they managed the performers fee's...Expensive Polynesian Food and Drinks must have provided a large turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    My cousin...who introduced me to the Supremes...was at the Copa gig. It was Prom Season. I asked him if Mary wore any blonde hair and he told me she wasn't there. He mentioned Cindy was there....[[Jean, Cindy and some new girl...I was told) I thought he ought to have paid more attention. Of course Mary was there...she was the only original and Cindy already left b/c she was pregnant....he did mention that they were sitting back away's toward the side, and because there was a column in the way, he was only able to see 2 singers at a time most of the show. Compared to todays cabarets, the Copa was very small...I always wondered how they managed the performers fee's...Expensive Polynesian Food and Drinks must have provided a large turn around.
    I've been to the original Copa and it was small.

I never heard the story about Jules Podell banning the Supremes from his club. The last time that I saw them at the Copa was in 1972. The original Copa on East 60th Street closed soon after that when Jules Podell died. So he was in no position to ban them. The club re-opened a few years later, but under a new non nightclub format.

I was there when Mary, Lynda and Cindy were there. I can't remember my initial reaction, but I think it was that I saw Cindy first, and did not even notice that Jean was not there singing the lead. Then I realized that the new girl had taken over the lead.

I was impressed. To step into this established group had to be challenging. To then take over the lead under such short notice had to be hard.

The nightclub was small and tables were very close to each other. I heard a person at the next table ask which one of them was Diana Ross. I guess Lynda had nothing to worry about with some people in that audience.

During this run, a friend [[big Supremes fan) went to see the show after I had seen it. She was a big Mary fan. She said that Mary was not there and that Cindy and Jean and Lynda did the show.

I remember we were club hopping one night back in 1986 and went to the original Copa to check out Chico DeBarge who had just released "Talk to Me Baby".