[REMOVE ADS]

What 1980 Disco Song ReIntroduced The Five Stairsteps Under A New Name?

Just a fun trivia challenge ---

The Chicago based family group , The Five Stairsteps , would've basically been a one [[big) hit wonder with the success of their O-O-H CHILD song in 1970. [[#8 Hot 100, #14 Soul)

Except they reemerged in 1980 , enjoying success with a new sound using a different group name.

That Top 10 R&B [[ #45 Hot 100) song was: ______?? by _____ ???

[[ And yes they also did have their first Top Ten Soul hit , FROM US TO YOU in 1976 as The StairSteps)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-11-2019 at 01:14 AM.

"All Night Thing" Invisible Man's Band. It actually came out in late 1979.

I was managing to get in clubs around 1980 and they played this most nights for months. You couldn't get the 12" for love nor money. Disco Deviance did a respectable re-edit a few years back. Original still kicks though

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I was managing to get in clubs around 1980 and they played this most nights for months. You couldn't get the 12" for love nor money. Disco Deviance did a respectable re-edit a few years back. Original still kicks though
    That's what I have, the 12". I bought it towards the end of 1979. I never bought the album.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That's what I have, the 12". I bought it towards the end of 1979. I never bought the album.
    I managed to get a clean UK pressing much later. Can remember the buzz when I spotted it on a paper mailing list. Now the internet has taken over there are loads of copies available much cheaper. That's progress but not quite as much fun?😁

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I managed to get a clean UK pressing much later. Can remember the buzz when I spotted it on a paper mailing list. Now the internet has taken over there are loads of copies available much cheaper. That's progress but not quite as much fun?��
    Not nearly as much fun.
    I looked forward to going to my neighborhood record shop and to record shows years later.

very good guys .

I was visiting NYC when this song hit. It was during the super-sized boom box craze. You couldn't get away from this song, seemed to be playing while riding some guy's shoulder around every corner. That and TAKE YOUR TIME by the SOS Band.

Yes this 12" was in high demand and scarce and unfortunately for it , on a small label. I think this is what most stunted ALL NIGHT THING's bigger success. Lack of national availability . That and this new agreed determination by the music industry to kill anything "disco".

Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-11-2019 at 02:10 PM.

While I was glad for the success of the Burke brothers with All Night Long I missed
    sister Alohe when she left the band. She's the first voice on what has become a classic
    and I remember being thrilled when she got her own lead for the song I Love You Stop.
    Stylistically it was like a reaction to the arrival of The Jackson 5 and though I know it got
    a lot of airplay on WLIB in New York I don't think it went over as well nationwide. The
    Stairsteps drummer Jerome Brailey who can be seen in a video on youtube went on to
    join P-Funk...

I don't know if "World of Fantasy" would be considered a hit but it did reach US 49 Pop and 12 RnB.