[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1

    "Remember Me" Diana Ross

    I have been to many concerts by Diana Ross. In 1984, she had a big run at Radio City Music Hall, NYC. Between show dates, she flew to her mother's, Ernestine Ross, sick bed in the hospital. She was being treated for breast cancer. Ms.Ross sang an extended "Remember Me" in such a heartfelt manner that I have wondered about it. Perhaps, her mother's illness prompted the pathos. Has she ever sung this song again in concert? Her vocals are a joy on this song. Ernestine Ross sang in jazz clubs in her younger years.

  2. #2
    I saw Diana sing REMEMBER ME in concert in 1979, 1982, and 1984. It is one of my favorite songs and I wish she would put it back in her act.
    Last edited by reese; 12-10-2019 at 11:45 PM.

  3. #3
    I think she sang it in 2004, possibly at The Ahoy. I searched for the video but canít find it.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I think she sang it in 2004, possibly at The Ahoy. I searched for the video but canít find it.
    Iíve only seen Diana perform this in 1979 and 1982. I wish she would bring it back!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I have been to many concerts by Diana Ross. In 1984, she had a big run at Radio City Music Hall, NYC. Between show dates, she flew to her mother's, Ernestine Ross, sick bed in the hospital. She was being treated for breast cancer. Ms.Ross sang an extended "Remember Me" in such a heartfelt manner that I have wondered about it. Perhaps, her mother's illness prompted the pathos. Has she ever sung this song again in concert? Her vocals are a joy on this song. Ernestine Ross sang in jazz clubs in her younger years.
    A career-favorite of mine as well. I did not know that Ernestine Ross had been a singer; interesting.

  6. #6
    Of all her songs this one still resonates with me as one of her best.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    Of all her songs this one still resonates with me as one of her best.
    It is my all time favorite Diana recording. I have requested she performs it next year, and i remain hopeful.

  8. #8
    it's a wonderful song. But i'm gonna go out on a limb here - i do not think it should have been the follow up to Mountain. I think they should have gone with Surrender first and then Remember Me. And then skip the Reach Out single.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's a wonderful song. But i'm gonna go out on a limb here - i do not think it should have been the follow up to Mountain. I think they should have gone with Surrender first and then Remember Me. And then skip the Reach Out single.
    Perhaps . Both Remember Me and Surrender made the top 10 here in the UK, but you could have a point regarding the States where single releases where most erratic

  10. #10
    Yes, "Remember Me" is my fave Diana Ross single but I also love "I"m Still Waiting". "Surrender" is too messy, shouty, Mountain Highenoughy for my liking.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's a wonderful song. But i'm gonna go out on a limb here - i do not think it should have been the follow up to Mountain. I think they should have gone with Surrender first and then Remember Me. And then skip the Reach Out single.
    I don't think the majority of the songs on the SURRENDER album had been recorded yet. I believe that's why they rushed out EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING.

    I think REMEMBER ME was ready because it had already been recorded in hopes of a release on Valerie but Berry thought it would great for Diana.

  12. #12
    actually according to the Surrender EE booklet both Surrender and Remember were done around the same time. the tracks and demos were done by 9/12/70. and on 9/19/70 Mountain hit #1 on the charts. The booklets state Diana's vocals were done in LA but don't know when. Given that Remember was released as a single in Dec 70 and that the session info for both RM and S seem to follow the same dates, i'm guessing that Surrender should have been completed around the same time

    I

  13. #13
    Here is Diana singing "Remember Me" in Paris 2004.


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    actually according to the Surrender EE booklet both Surrender and Remember were done around the same time. the tracks and demos were done by 9/12/70. and on 9/19/70 Mountain hit #1 on the charts. The booklets state Diana's vocals were done in LA but don't know when. Given that Remember was released as a single in Dec 70 and that the session info for both RM and S seem to follow the same dates, i'm guessing that Surrender should have been completed around the same time

    I
    In that case, then I sort of agree with you. Now I still would have put out REMEMBER ME as the follow-up to ANMHE. But I would have put out SURRENDER instead of REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE.

  15. #15
    see i think Surrender is just a bit more in line with Mountain. it has a hugeness and power. yet it doesn't try to mimic Mountain. so IMO that makes it an ideal follow up. Remember would then be an ideal follow up to Surrender. Still has power but incorporates more softness too. this then leads perfectly to I'm Still Waiting as the next single and then the EIE set as the follow up lp to the Surrender lp (which would have been released in late 70)

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Here is Diana singing "Remember Me" in Paris 2004.

    This was great. Although I miss the ending that used during the Caesars Palace special. That's the way she always ended it when I saw her. On the plus side, in this clip she sings the entire song instead of just the first verse.

  17. #17
    "Remember Me" is a great song but I've never heard her perform it live. I was surprised it figured so prominently in "Motown The Musical." Ross had no shortage of anthemic songs at Motown.

  18. #18
    Love this song..thanks for sharing the video.great track

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    "Remember Me" is a great song but I've never heard her perform it live. I was surprised it figured so prominently in "Motown The Musical." Ross had no shortage of anthemic songs at Motown.
    I think the reason behind that is BG has stated how much he loved the song.

  20. #20
    She sang it beautifuly at her parisian show in 2004

  21. #21
    Berry really liked "Remember Me". Maybe that's why he picked it over "Surrender". If Diana had had her way, "Surrender" would've been released and it would've probably been a bigger hit. I love "Remember Me" but "Surrender" is a BOP!

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Berry really liked "Remember Me". Maybe that's why he picked it over "Surrender". If Diana had had her way, "Surrender" would've been released and it would've probably been a bigger hit. I love "Remember Me" but "Surrender" is a BOP!
    I think the alternative version of Surrender is the one that should have been released.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I think the alternative version of Surrender is the one that should have been released.
    Has that version surfaced anywhere?

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Berry really liked "Remember Me". Maybe that's why he picked it over "Surrender". If Diana had had her way, "Surrender" would've been released and it would've probably been a bigger hit. I love "Remember Me" but "Surrender" is a BOP!
    I remember the late Luther Vandross expressing how much he loved the song as well. There was just something about Surrender that was haunting but, I loved Remember Me too. Ashford and Simpson were really at the top of their game again for the second time.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I remember the late Luther Vandross expressing how much he loved the song as well. There was just something about Surrender that was haunting but, I loved Remember Me too. Ashford and Simpson were really at the top of their game again for the second time.
    They really were. A&S was perfect for Diana. They just were. It's a shame Motown didn't trust in them enough to allow them to work with Diana more than they did.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Has that version surfaced anywhere?
    Yes! It was on the EE.


  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's a wonderful song. But i'm gonna go out on a limb here - i do not think it should have been the follow up to Mountain. I think they should have gone with Surrender first and then Remember Me. And then skip the Reach Out single.
    You got that right. My Place would have been better than Reach Out. What a boring single for Ross at that point. Well, 1970 - 1971 = Supremes Ruled!

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I think the alternative version of Surrender is the one that should have been released.
    Very much agree, the production of the released version is lacking in comparison.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Very much agree, the production of the released version is lacking in comparison.
    I'm not sure why they released the more tame version, but the alternative version has way more energy and more of a punch, on both Ross's vocals as well as the background vocals.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Yes! It was on the EE.

    Oh, my, I must be slipping. Havenít heard that in ages. Thanks for the reminder!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.