[REMOVE ADS]

"After You" Sung by Diana Ross

No pun intended, but Diana Ross' "After You" would have been a great single to release after "Love Hangover".

this is one of my fav DR ballads. just gorgeous. but i don't know 1) if it would have worked as a single and 2) as follow up to LH. had she never done LH, it might have been a good follow up to I Thought it Took A Little Time. but after the sexual and dancing frenzy of LH, i think After You is just too minimal

Frankly the rumored Don't Leave Me This Way would have been the ideal follow up.

One Love was ok but not nearly as special or powerful as LH

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    No pun intended, but Diana Ross' "After You" would have been a great single to release after "Love Hangover".
    Lovely song, but i never thought of it as a hit single.

One of the best. Should have been a single. IMO

After You is a fantastic song but the game changing effect of Love Hangover probably took Motown by surprise and left them wondering how to move forward with a follow up single.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

Frankly the rumored Don't Leave Me This Way would have been the ideal follow up.
    You said it.

Just a pity thr session was never completed.

this is one of my fav DR ballads. just gorgeous. but i don't know 1) if it would have worked as a single and 2) as follow up to LH. had she never done LH, it might have been a good follow up to I Thought it Took A Little Time. but after the sexual and dancing frenzy of LH, i think After You is just too minimal

Not sure I agree; DLMTW would have been a great Diana performance but may have been too 'samey' after LH.

I think DLMTW is much more of a gospel disco song [[assuming they would have used the same production and track that Thelma got). LH is so different - the sensual slow intro and the steamy pounding ending. DLMTW rises and falls too with the "ahhhhhs" leading up to explosive choruses. I think it had enough similarities to be an excellent follow up yet different enough to not be repetitive

Great song n highlight from the album.
    I would have released as a single

Whilst After You is a great track, it’s too sombre and downbeat for a single. Sad songs generally do not fare well on the charts. Yes, there are exceptions, of course, but generally the top 40 loves upbeat, positive songs.

Miss Ross’ vocal on it - well, you can almost hear her crying, “...raining again, raaaining agaaaain....”

I think DLMTW is much more of a gospel disco song [[assuming they would have used the same production and track that Thelma got). LH is so different - the sensual slow intro and the steamy pounding ending. DLMTW rises and falls too with the "ahhhhhs" leading up to explosive choruses. I think it had enough similarities to be an excellent follow up yet different enough to not be repetitive
    Sorry, but what is this DLMTW of which is being discussed...it isn't 'After You', is it? I see these shortened versions of titles/ abbreviations frequently and often have to scroll continuously forwards and backwards to find out what is actually being discussed. I am just that guy whose mind is not as sharp as it used to be and do not mean to be nasty in my request. Thanks

"After You"- great lyric from this phenomenal song- "I couldn't feel the touch of time upon tomorrow". Romantic Motown!

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Sorry, but what is this DLMTW of which is being discussed...it isn't 'After You', is it? I see these shortened versions of titles/ abbreviations frequently and often have to scroll continuously forwards and backwards to find out what is actually being discussed. I am just that guy whose mind is not as sharp as it used to be and do not mean to be nasty in my request. Thanks
    Don't leave me this way which was offered to Diana. She turned it down and a grateful Thelma Houston recorded it. She did a fantastic job, but my vote still goes to the peerless Harold Melvin/Teddy Pendergrass version.

After You would have been a great followup to the Mahogany theme -- or a better choice for a single than the Mahogany theme -- perhaps backed with We're Always Saying Goodbye, for what the DJs used to call a "TSW," or two-sided winner.

"After You" was the B-side of "I Thought It Took A Little Time", so I don't see how it could have been its follow-up. I always thought "After You" was the superior side.

I'm glad they didn't give Diana "Don't Leave Me This Way", as sup_fan said, LH had that sensual build up [[which was pioneered by Giorgio Moroder and Donna Summer on "Love to Love You Baby" a few months before) that crescendo'd up until the explosion so to speak while DLMTW was more earthbound/soulful.

I think Diana always saw herself as a balladeer and she loved songs like "After You" but Motown was trying to make Diana "hip" so to speak [[which is odd because Diana ended up picking "hip" producers CHIC for her "diana" album, which would've not happened had Berry Gordy still been the executive producer on her records prior to the release of "The Boss" in 1979).
    Last edited by midnightman; 12-13-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Overall ...I think DR76 is a classic album.
    I would have left Kiss me Now off the lp n left it as a B side. Some gems on this album.think Motown killed it by releasing the Hits album on top of it......typical tho.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Overall ...I think DR76 is a classic album.
    I would have left Kiss me Now off the lp n left it as a B side. Some gems on this album.think Motown killed it by releasing the Hits album on top of it......typical tho.
    I agree on all counts. I would have included Sorry doesn't always make it right which at that time was still a fairly recent single, and dumped kiss me now which is a fun song but nothing special.

i agree DR76 is a strong set. some are put off that it's a little too eclectic. That Kiss Me Now and Smile are painfully out of place. I actually like them both. I think KMN is a fun follow up to the sensuality and eroticism of LH. it's the playful afterglow following sex.

Smile is nice but it would probably have been much more successful as part of the original Blue album. Perhaps here they could have included either Sorry or To Love Again.

I agree that Love Hangover and Don't Leave Me This Way are very different songs, but the Thelma Houston version [[using the same musicians and producer as Love Hangover) lovely builds on Love Hangover by "borrowing" the baseline at the end, which is even more prominent on the 12 inch version. Such a shame Diana never did this track [[although Thelma does a great job and definitely deserved a big hit by then).