[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Man, Diana Ross didn't work any harder than the next person. She was the boss' girlfriend and there is no way she was going to have to work harder than others. She didn't! That was a calculated myth spread over the years. Everyone at Motown really knew the deal even those that would repeat that myth!
    Are you kidding me? Why would all those people lie, including the ones who may not be big fans of Ross? Diana was not the only hard worker at Motown, and because I wasn't there, I cannot say if she outworked everyone at the label in the early days. I imagine with all the youthful energy abounding at Hitsville in the early 60s, all that unbottled ambition, there were a few folks at Motown working their asses off to succeed. But there is one major difference that is indisputable: at some point Gordy began to ride Diana's ass [[don't go there!), pushing her forward every step of the way. He was molding her into the star that he believed would take Motown, and ultimately Gordy himself, into the stratosphere. And she did. Mary has talked about it. Florence has talked about it. Florence even said she felt sorry for Diana because of the way Gordy pushed her so hard. She may have been going with the boss, but he didn't take it easy on her. Everybody at Motown probably wanted Diana's success. I can't imagine that anyone else at Motown was willing to put up with what Diana put up with in order to get it. That makes her special.

Re RanRan post: Like

Diana Ross's work ethic is a musical instrument
    that keeps on playing!

Her genius as a song stylist reached its peak with the soundtrack of "Lady Sings The Blues".
    Why Ms. Ross did not receive an Academy Award and a Grammy Award for her skilled acting, and pure-toned and emotionally charged depth of singing is still a mystery!

I personally consider the golden tone of Diana Ross's singing in "Lady Sings The Blues" a musical masterpiece!

Is Diana Ross's movie soundtrack "LSTB" one of the first movie soundtracks to hit #1 on Billboard Pop Music Chart?

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Is Diana Ross's movie soundtrack "LSTB" one of the first movie soundtracks to hit #1 on Billboard Pop Music Chart?
    No. Others like A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, GOLDFINGER, SHAFT, and THE GRADUATE reached #1 prior to LADY.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Are you kidding me? Why would all those people lie, including the ones who may not be big fans of Ross? Diana was not the only hard worker at Motown, and because I wasn't there, I cannot say if she outworked everyone at the label in the early days. I imagine with all the youthful energy abounding at Hitsville in the early 60s, all that unbottled ambition, there were a few folks at Motown working their asses off to succeed. But there is one major difference that is indisputable: at some point Gordy began to ride Diana's ass [[don't go there!), pushing her forward every step of the way. He was molding her into the star that he believed would take Motown, and ultimately Gordy himself, into the stratosphere. And she did. Mary has talked about it. Florence has talked about it. Florence even said she felt sorry for Diana because of the way Gordy pushed her so hard. She may have been going with the boss, but he didn't take it easy on her. Everybody at Motown probably wanted Diana's success. I can't imagine that anyone else at Motown was willing to put up with what Diana put up with in order to get it. That makes her special.
    Funny thing is the person who said Diana Ross outworked everyone at Motown was this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The first one was around 1987 and the 2nd time was in the late 90's for the my love is your love tour. I wish i could look back on them with some kind of affection but they were difficult, demanding and distressing in equal measure. I truly wish i had never taken those jobs.
    Perhaps you are right to draw comparisons with Judy. I know a very elderly lady who worked with Judy in London just prior to her passing, and she experienced similar horror stories to mine.
    Yeah. I've heard chaotic stories about Judy. That's why I've found myself comparing the two. They may have come from completely different eras: Judy from vaudeville, Whitney from the church and soul tradition, but both of them have similar stories, which is eerily as hell [[like I said, they even died almost similar and were about the same ages). But yeah Robyn said the handling of Whitney's career was nightmarish at times.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Funny thing is the person who said Diana Ross outworked everyone at Motown was this guy:

I believe that Smokey Robinson has also made similar comments about DR.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I believe that Smokey Robinson has also made similar comments about DR.
    Yes he did. He said that Diana was usually the first to arrive and the last to leave. She certainly worked very hard [[too hard) throughout the 60's. No-one deserved success more than she did. Her work ethic and unique talent were an inspirational combination.