[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Promos etc....

Does anyone know why there are so many versions of promos issued for each single ...ie..normal white label promo with original Bside...white label promo with the same song on both sides mono and stereo in some cases...audition copy....red wax with the same song on both sides....one sided promo with a blank B side...and theres prob more i have missed...its always puzzled me.

I'm not sure of the details for each version. But I believe the promos with either the same song on both sides or a blank b-side were made so that radio wouldn't flip songs over and split airplay.

I think the promos with mono on one side and stereo on the other were for am and fm radio play?

I don't know the reasoning myself and wish I did, but it sure makes it fun in regards to collecting them. I recently picked up a WLP of DRATS' "Some Things You Never Get Used To" Motown 1126. When I saw it listed I thought it looked a little different from the copies I already had. Sure enough, I had 2 other copies in my promo files, "M-1126" in red marbled vinyl with MOTOWN spelled out across the top and promotional not for sale, "MOT-1126DJ" with the maps label, and audition copy not for sale, and then the latest acquisition "MOTOWN 1126" with audition copy not for sale on the label. All three have the same song on both sides. These variations give me something to be on the lookout for constantly!
    Darin

Name:  STYNGUT.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  40.2 KB

Darin..I also have multiple copies of the same song in various forms...its bugged me for years why tho..and it also bugs me that a thread like this will probably not even be bothered with coz everyone is to busy bitching about the freakin Supremes lol.

I agree mowsville....

I actually joined this forum with hopes of learning more about the memorabilia aspect of collecting Motown. I figured members would share photos of their collections and talk about new additions they acquired, etc. as they do on another forum I take part in for an unrelated collectible. I've been disappointed in that aspect and have came to the conclusion that the majority are not interested in the memorabilia per se. I guess I am a relatively younger collector and find record and memorabilia collecting very exciting, whereas others here collected decades ago and it's all in storage now and not so exciting to them......

I've always wished for a comprehensive list of Motown WLP's. I've been referred to the DFTMC site but it doesn't cover the multiples of WLP's such as the variations mentioned above. I've not found a guide book that has such listings either. I guess I'll just keep amassing the variations as I find them myself!

The multiple pressings to collect come from a combination of factors. Different pressing plants in different parts of the country mean different color vinyl got used - or styrene was used in place of actual vinyl. The one sided promos were probably a mixture of rushing out a release so fast that they didn't have time to supply a B side or stereo mix. Also, some singles would get a reissue due to an alternate mix - see the different I'm Livin' In Shame's or Bad Weather's - or sometimes a repress in the case of styrene since the hot hits would get worn out quicker from multiple plays. It gives us collectors some inetersting variables to play with but you'll go crosseyed or broke trying to collect them all!

As I recall [[?) , regular 45 pressings were also sent out with a hole punched into them , to record stores especially , [[for in-store play ) , the hole punch designating them free promo copies , not returnable for credit.

more thought: also to signify a cut-out copy , sold on the cheap .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-11-2019 at 01:59 AM.

My lifetime experience of buying at least 2,000 Motown 45s when they were initially available does not confirm that there were drill holes when released. When the record
    store I worked for returned unsold new issues, the wholesalers then drilled holes in them and sold them in say a package of 4 [different records] for a cheap price. Usually by the time we returned them to the wholesaler, there were newer releases by the artists that were being released.

Thanks for the input guys.

I can verify that at S. Klein in Maryland, I would buy old 45's at 5 to a pack - all with a small hole drilled into them. I had no idea what the hole meant at the time. And, you could only see what end records were - the three inside were a mystery! LP's were the same. They put three to a pack [[all with the corners cut) and you had to read the spine on the one in the middle to find out what it was.

I wish I knew more about the collecting aspect of the 45's. I just bought stuff when I was younger and didn't pay attention to the collectible aspects of anything. If I had paid attention, I would probably be a much wealthier man right now!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I can verify that at S. Klein in Maryland, I would buy old 45's at 5 to a pack - all with a small hole drilled into them. I had no idea what the hole meant at the time. And, you could only see what end records were - the three inside were a mystery! LP's were the same. They put three to a pack [[all with the corners cut) and you had to read the spine on the one in the middle to find out what it was.

I wish I knew more about the collecting aspect of the 45's. I just bought stuff when I was younger and didn't pay attention to the collectible aspects of anything. If I had paid attention, I would probably be a much wealthier man right now!
    I bought many of my favorite Motown 45s in those old 3 to a pack sleeves. I particularly remembering getting a pack with REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE by Diana Ross and STONED LOVE by the Supremes. The unseen record in the middle was CARRY YOUR OWN LOAD by Jr. Walker.

When it came to lps, I never was lucky enough to see those mystery lps. But every month or so, I would have my mom take me to Bradlee's or Woolworth's and I would get an album out of the $1.99 cut out bin.

I'm going to readily agree that the hole punches were a method for identifying cut-outs and not for distinguishing promo copies afaik.
    In my times of buying used singles at record shows, used record shops etc. I'm amazed at the quantity of Motown 45s specifically that are marked thus. Motown either habitually over pressed a title, or just pressed so many singles that of course the vast majority failed to hit.
    Seems to have been a method [[hole punching) not used by most labels??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I'm going to readily agree that the hole punches were a method for identifying cut-outs and not for distinguishing promo copies afaik.
    In my times of buying used singles at record shows, used record shops etc. I'm amazed at the quantity of Motown 45s specifically that are marked thus. Motown either habitually over pressed a title, or just pressed so many singles that of course the vast majority failed to hit.
    Seems to have been a method [[hole punching) not used by most labels??
    I have 45s and lps with hole punches from other labels besides Motown. So I gather it was just a method to mark unsold stock.

Actually, the worst example I have of a hole punch is on Diana's SURRENDER lp. It actually went through the vinyl. On Side 1, it affected the end of I CAN'T GIVE BACK THE LOVE I FEEL FOR YOU. On Side 2, it affected DID YOU READ THE MORNING PAPER? It was given to me by a cousin years after she bought it and she never told me why she didn't bring it back.

In recent years, I also ended up with a hole punch in the Marvelettes' SOPHISTICATED SOUL cd. But that was my own fault. I saw the hole, figured it might not be on the cd itself and bought it. It was only $5 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I have 45s and lps with hole punches from other labels besides Motown. So I gather it was just a method to mark unsold stock.
    I haven't given thought to it, and haven't been 45 seeking for the last few years to notice , but do you feel that all the labels hole punched Reese, or does it seem to be certain labels?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I haven't given thought to it, and haven't been 45 seeking for the last few years to notice , but do you feel that all the labels hole punched Reese, or does it seem to be certain labels?
    I would think it was the distributors as opposed to the labels themselves. But off the top of my head, I know I have/had some Atlantic 45s with some hole punches as well as some Stax albums.

Its the same here....i thought i was going to learn a lot more about collecting the records etc...ive posted on here before and hardly anybody has responded...im not really into gowns and wigs to be honest lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I agree mowsville....

I actually joined this forum with hopes of learning more about the memorabilia aspect of collecting Motown. I figured members would share photos of their collections and talk about new additions they acquired, etc. as they do on another forum I take part in for an unrelated collectible. I've been disappointed in that aspect and have came to the conclusion that the majority are not interested in the memorabilia per se. I guess I am a relatively younger collector and find record and memorabilia collecting very exciting, whereas others here collected decades ago and it's all in storage now and not so exciting to them......

I've always wished for a comprehensive list of Motown WLP's. I've been referred to the DFTMC site but it doesn't cover the multiples of WLP's such as the variations mentioned above. I've not found a guide book that has such listings either. I guess I'll just keep amassing the variations as I find them myself!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I would think it was the distributors as opposed to the labels themselves. But off the top of my head, I know I have/had some Atlantic 45s with some hole punches as well as some Stax albums.
    Yes Atlantic comes to mind as a label with hole punches as well !!

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    im not really into gowns and wigs to be honest lol
    I'm not really into them either Mowsville, lol.......

Name:  Dress.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  MD Show.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  66.2 KB

Is that yours DWsheffer?

Yes, it is......

I don't know the reasoning myself and wish I did, but it sure makes it fun in regards to collecting them. I recently picked up a WLP of DRATS' "Some Things You Never Get Used To" Motown 1126. When I saw it listed I thought it looked a little different from the copies I already had. Sure enough, I had 2 other copies in my promo files, "M-1126" in red marbled vinyl with MOTOWN spelled out across the top and promotional not for sale, "MOT-1126DJ" with the maps label, and audition copy not for sale, and then the latest acquisition "MOTOWN 1126" with audition copy not for sale on the label. All three have the same song on both sides. These variations give me something to be on the lookout for constantly!
    Darin

Name:  STYNGUT.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  40.2 KB
    Can you read out the matrix numbers on the left hand side please - not the 4KM references. My eyes are not good but I suspect these are different recordings. I know that I have different versions of that US 45.
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 12-14-2019 at 04:45 PM.

WOW.....You actually own an original gown....thats incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Can you read out the matrix numbers on the left hand side please - not the 4KM references. My eyes are not good but I suspect these are different recordings. I know that I have different versions of that US 45.
    Yes, the 2 maps label 45's have L-4-5/14/68, whereas the red vinyl has 6/12/68-Z-6 which is also etched in the trail off and was pressed at ARP in Owosso, MI. Maybe I will give them a spin and see if I hear any differences as all 3 are timed at 2:23.

I'm not really into them either Mowsville, lol.......

Name:  Dress.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  MD Show.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  66.2 KB
    toooo cool!!!

[[who's???)

even big time major labels did the hole punch thing...Capitol, Columbia,.....a lot of times it was a mid level hit by an established act that was over pressed, or the first few releases after a massive first time hit...I guess once the sales for a particular artist jelled, over pressing was less of an issue....In '68 and '69 stores began to get flooded with recently phased out MONO LP cut outs.
    History making biggest returns? RSO's 2 LP Sgt Pepper Film Soundtrack...the movie and LP both flopped...not even the Bee Gee's and Peter Frampton raised interest...joke was "It shipped Gold, returned Platinum"

Yes, the 2 maps label 45's have L-4-5/14/68, whereas the red vinyl has 6/12/68-Z-6 which is also etched in the trail off and was pressed at ARP in Owosso, MI. Maybe I will give them a spin and see if I hear any differences as all 3 are timed at 2:23.
    Listen specifically to those tambourines.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    even big time major labels did the hole punch thing...Capitol, Columbia,.....a lot of times it was a mid level hit by an established act that was over pressed, or the first few releases after a massive first time hit...I guess once the sales for a particular artist jelled, over pressing was less of an issue....In '68 and '69 stores began to get flooded with recently phased out MONO LP cut outs.
    History making biggest returns? RSO's 2 LP Sgt Pepper Film Soundtrack...the movie and LP both flopped...not even the Bee Gee's and Peter Frampton raised interest...joke was "It shipped Gold, returned Platinum"
    I think that was also the status of the Casablanca album "HERE'S JOHNNY: MAGIC MOMENTS FROM THE TONIGHT SHOW."