[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Brenda Holloway - When I'm Gone


  2. #2
    Marv, this is just fabulous. I have known this track for over 50 years, and I never tire of it. Sometime in the late 60s I picked up the Artistry album in a sale, for under 1, and was blown away by it. Still am. Thanks for posting.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    Marv, this is just fabulous. I have known this track for over 50 years, and I never tire of it. Sometime in the late 60s I picked up the Artistry album in a sale, for under 1, and was blown away by it. Still am. Thanks for posting.
    You are most welcome Sharpmoves!

  5. #5
    Thanks Marv. Miss Brenda is the Bomb. Should have been a huge star and she still sounds great!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks Marv. Miss Brenda is the Bomb. Should have been a huge star and she still sounds great!
    You're most welcome Luke! Brenda definitely had the goods!

  7. #7
    Brenda Holloway's "When I'm Gone" is another Motown Classic all the way.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    "When I'm Gone" was my first introduction to Brenda Holloway in Spring of 1965, Marv. I was blown away by it from the first time I heard it on our local radio station. I raced to the record store to get my copy and have been in love with it ever since. In fact, it's near the top of my most favorite Motown hits of all time.
    Pure Smokey, it boasts a light, breezy production with shuffle-beat finger snaps, lilting strings, and a super back-up performance by The Andantes. One of Motown Record Corporation's finest!

  10. #10
    I often wonder how high Mary Wells' (slightly different) version would have gone in the charts if it had been released as the follow-up to My Guy.

  11. #11
    Oh, it would have been a Top Ten sided smash by Mary with "Whisper You Love Me, Boy" on the flip. I think the track is the same, a little speeded up with the strings added. Both Mary & Brenda had mutual respect & love .

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    a Top Ten sided smash by Mary with "Whisper You Love Me, Boy" on the flip.
    I thought the releases for Mary after My Guy were intended to be:

    MOTOWN 1061 When I'm Gone/Guarantee (For A Lifetime)
    MOTOWN 1065 Whisper You Love Me Boy/I'll Be Available

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    "When I'm Gone" was my first introduction to Brenda Holloway in Spring of 1965, Marv. I was blown away by it from the first time I heard it on our local radio station. I raced to the record store to get my copy and have been in love with it ever since. In fact, it's near the top of my most favorite Motown hits of all time.
    Pure Smokey, it boasts a light, breezy production with shuffle-beat finger snaps, lilting strings, and a super back-up performance by The Andantes. One of Motown Record Corporation's finest!
    I can understand that. She sounds so cool, so sixties hip! It was drastically different from her classic ballad, "Every Little Bit Hurts" from the year before.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.