On the Soulful Detroit Forum I had asked for opinions from members who were record buyers/radio listeners when Major Lance's "Too Hot To Hold" was first released. Another couple of songs I've always wanted to know more about are The Marvelettes' "I'll Keep Holding On" and "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead". As with Major Lance's record, I'm not looking for general opinions from everyone, but specifically member who were there when the songs were originally released.

When the songs first came out, did listeners feel the songs were too radically different from the group's earlier records or were the songs viewed with excitement? I listen to a lot of old radio broadcasts from the 60's and it genuinely seems "Don't Mess With Bill" was THE Marvelettes record that everyone jumped all over. I have yet to hear anything pop up from 1964 up to "Bill" by the group.

I guess "I'll Keep Holding On" and "Danger" did well enough to get midway up the charts at least. Many girl groups weren't getting anything much in the way of chart action during the British Invasion. In that regard, I really stand in awe of Motown's ability to keep their girl groups consistently on the charts during the initial wave of British groups. Still, I'd love to hear what folks reactions were to these songs when they were new in '65