[REMOVE ADS]

I have strong feelings against Brits playing roles that could just as well be played by the many African American actors seeking work. This is not to say that the British actors of African descent are any less qualified. I do hope the project is successful.

Aretha was very proud of her introductions to and performances for the royal family[[s) and it's my belief that this casting choice would make her happy.

When casting for biopics I always wish its someone who closely resembles the artist. Halle Berry in Dorothy Dandridge and Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles comes to mind. But Diana did her thaang as Billie Holiday and made us forget she didn't resemble her at all. And Denzel as Malcolm...need I say more.

Move over Jennifer Hudson and watch Cynthia Erivo become the Queen of Soul.

Don’t miss Academy-Award Nominee Cynthia Erivo as Aretha Franklin in the third season of the critically acclaimed global anthology series, GENIUS: ARETHA, premiering Sunday, March 21 at 9/8c on National Geographic.

Not sure if I feel like this is Aretha but will be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Move over Jennifer Hudson and watch Cynthia Erivo become the Queen of Soul.

Don’t miss Academy-Award Nominee Cynthia Erivo as Aretha Franklin in the third season of the critically acclaimed global anthology series, GENIUS: ARETHA, premiering Sunday, March 21 at 9/8c on National Geographic.

Not sure if I feel like this is Aretha but will be interesting to see.
    I was just ready to post this trailer with basically the same comment as you, Luciano. Judging just from the available trailers, Cynthia captures Aretha FAR more than does Jennifer. Hudson is a talented lady but in the trailers for her film she attains no resemblance to my beloved Aretha at all. Would be nice for both adaptations to succeed, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I was just ready to post this trailer with basically the same comment as you, Luciano. Judging just from the available trailers, Cynthia captures Aretha FAR more than does Jennifer. Hudson is a talented lady but in the trailers for her film she attains no resemblance to my beloved Aretha at all. Would be nice for both adaptations to succeed, though.
    It will be interesting to see how both end up. This one has 4 parts so this may have more of an advantage in that it has more time hopefully to tell Aretha's story.