[REMOVE ADS]

Merry Christmas Part 2 - the sequel lol

always surprised me that the Sups never did a second Xmas album. Saw a similar post on FB and figured i'd bring it over here.

So if you were producer, what songs would you do? which lineup would you do them with?

if i was producing the original Xmas set with DMF, i would have given Flo Santa Baby to sing. i can only imagine her playing and having fun with the lyric. Although i could hear Diana's kittenish voice doing it too

I'd love if Frank Wilson had done a set with MJC. Maybe include:

Christmas Time Is Here - Mary lead
    I'll be home for Christmas - jean but a slow bluesy version
    Good morning Blues - jean. a la the version on Ella Fitzgerald's Swinging Xmas album
    What child is this? jean
    Rocking - Cindy lead
    Baby it's cold outside - jean and levi duet
    have yourself a merry little christmas - mary lead
    Silent Night - jean

A Jean lead Supremes Christmas album would have been really good. I do wonder what a mid-60s Martha & The Vandellas Christmas album would have sounded like or a mid-60s Marvelettes Christmas album!

Did I dream this, or was there talk of a 2nd Christmas album around 1968? About the time of "Funny Girl"?

I can't think of enough songs for a full album but I could hear Scherrie or Flo singing PLEASE COME FOR CHRISTMAS and MERRY CHRISTMAS BABY.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I can't think of enough songs for a full album but I could hear Scherrie or Flo singing PLEASE COME FOR CHRISTMAS and MERRY CHRISTMAS BABY.
    and i'm sure if they did a second one with another lineup they might repeat a few classic carols. maybe with different arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Did I dream this, or was there talk of a 2nd Christmas album around 1968? About the time of "Funny Girl"?
    i never heard of another one being planned. but that certainly doesn't mean they didn't consider

not shocked that the 70s sups didn't have a Xmas album. But a little surprised motown didn't do a various artist set like Rock Gospel. Get the 70s Sups, GKATP, Blinky, Martha, Marvin, Eddie kendricks, J5

and i'm very surprised Diana never did a solo one. even at RCA

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i never heard of another one being planned. but that certainly doesn't mean they didn't consider

not shocked that the 70s sups didn't have a Xmas album. But a little surprised motown didn't do a various artist set like Rock Gospel. Get the 70s Sups, GKATP, Blinky, Martha, Marvin, Eddie kendricks, J5

and i'm very surprised Diana never did a solo one. even at RCA
    She did. A Very Special Season. Or at least she did for her international records company, EMI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very...on?wprov=sfti1

Maybe "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)"...?

Diana would be perfect for Santa Baby.

I thought the original Supremes were to record sliegh ride n winter wonderland but no vocals were added. So my vote goes for both of these songs

I think Flo would've been perfect for "Santa Baby" more so than Diana, but the song fits them both. I once saw "Jingle Bell Rock" listed as as outtake for the original Christmas album, but it wasn't said whether or not the song had vocals or was just a band track. It would've been perfect for the Supremes too.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Maybe "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)"...?
    Absolutely. Depending on the arrangement, I could hear Mary doing this one.

What about Flo doing "Merry Christmas Baby"?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think Flo would've been perfect for "Santa Baby" more so than Diana, but the song fits them both. I once saw "Jingle Bell Rock" listed as as outtake for the original Christmas album, but it wasn't said whether or not the song had vocals or was just a band track. It would've been perfect for the Supremes too.
    it might have worked to have them do Xmas Part 2 in late 66. they'd conquered Vegas, the Copa and all of these world-famous night clubs. So i think they could have done a "Swingin' Christmas" style album a la Elle Fitzgerald. also like their R&H album. some lush ballads, a motown-eque tune or two and then some nightclub styled numbers:

Santa Baby
    Jingle Bell Rock
    Sleigh Ride
    Winter Wonderland
    Baby Please Come Home
    I'll be home for Xmas
    a jazzy version of White Christmas
    The Christmas Song
    Rockin Around the Xmas tree
    Have yourself a merry little xmas
    What are you doing new year's eve
    let is snow

I agree. The following Christmas would've been perfect for a holiday album. And then the Christmas after that should've been the Disney album release.

it might have worked to have them do Xmas Part 2 in late 66. they'd conquered Vegas, the Copa and all of these world-famous night clubs. So i think they could have done a "Swingin' Christmas" style album a la Elle Fitzgerald. also like their R&H album. some lush ballads, a motown-eque tune or two and then some nightclub styled numbers:

Santa Baby
    Jingle Bell Rock
    Sleigh Ride
    Winter Wonderland
    Baby Please Come Home
    I'll be home for Xmas
    a jazzy version of White Christmas
    The Christmas Song
    Rockin Around the Xmas tree
    Have yourself a merry little xmas
    What are you doing new year's eve
    let is snow
    I don't think there was any need for a 2nd Xmas album. The 1st one was with the exception of Children's Christmas song pretty much the perfect Xmas album. A 2nd album would probably has come as a disappointment. I am more than happy with the recent ultimate edition which i am listening to as i write this.

I agree. The following Christmas would've been perfect for a holiday album. And then the Christmas after that should've been the Disney album release.
    Even better than another Diana/Flo era Christmas album, JMC needed one. I want to say the Christmas season of 1970 would be perfect. Perhaps hold Mag7 back until early 71, and release New Ways in Sept in it's place. But it might've been more prudent to release it during the season of 1971. The group was still relatively hot and it wouldn't interfere with any releases. If they had a Christmas album in 1970 it might have bumped up against the J5 Christmas album, and I don't know if Motown would've pushed a Supremes project over the J5's.

What is the news of a new Christmas Album by Diana Ross and a London Orchestra?

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    What is the news of a new Christmas Album by Diana Ross and a London Orchestra?
    Speaking only for myself of course, but I hope no news is good news because I don't want a Diana orchestra album of any kind, unless she's being backed by the Love Unlimited Orchestra.

We know that the "Merry Christmas" backing tracks were recorded in LA and vocals recorded in Detroit. The album was produced by Harvey Fuqua.

According to Musician's Union records, Carol Kaye was booked for sessions over 27th and 28th August 1965 to record the following tracks:

27/08/1965 Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
    27/08/1965 My Favourite Things
    27/08/1965 Noel
    27/08/1965 Santa Baby #
    27/08/1965 My First Christmas Without You #
    27/08/1965 Winter Wonderland #
    28/08/1965 Silver Bells
    28/08/1965 Born Of Mary
    28/08/1965 Children's Christmas Song
    28/08/1965 My Christmas Tree
    28/08/1965 Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    28/08/1965 Twinkle Twinkle Little Me
    28/08/1965 Little Bright Star
    28/08/1965 Joy To The World
    28/08/1965 Just a Lonely Christmas
    28/08/1965 O Little Town Of Bethlehem
    28/08/1965 Oh Holy Night
    28/08/1965 Hark The Herald Angels Sing #

Clearly, not all the tracks that were released are listed above - so could have been recorded at a different time and/or with someone else playing bass.

We know that vocals were not added to "Santa Baby" or to "Winter Wonderland" - but was that also the case for "My First Christmas Without You" and "Hark The Herald Angels sing" or has anyone ever heard a Supremes vocal for these?

Finally, "Winter Wonderland" by The Funk Brothers has appeared on a few Motown Christmas releases - but seems to me it's not The Funks and should be credited to The Wrecking Crew perhaps.

Speaking only for myself of course, but I hope no news is good news because I don't want a Diana orchestra album of any kind, unless she's being backed by the Love Unlimited Orchestra.
    I agree with you with the exception of a Christmas album. For some reason they work really well with a lush orchestra, esp. heavy on strings.

Mystery - what source are those recording dates from? you mention the Musician's Union?

in my timeline i just have a generic "tracks recorded for Christmas Album" note in August. no specific dates or tunes

but i do have Sept.

9/1 backgrounds for Twinkle, Little Bright Star and Joy to the World
    9/9 lead for Rudolph, Santa Claus, My Fav, Silent Night, O Holy Night, backing vocals for Born of mary, Rudolph, Santa Claus, My Fav, backing vocals recut for Light Bright Star
    9/13 backing vocals for White Christmas
    9/14 leads for First Noel, White Christmas, little Drummer, My Christmas Tree, Little Bright Star, Joy to the World
    9/15 lead for Silver Bells, Born of Mary, Children Christmas, Twinkle
    9/16 backings for Children Christmas, little Drummer, Silent Night, My Christmas Tree
    9/21 background for Silver Bells

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    We know that vocals were not added to "Santa Baby" or to "Winter Wonderland" - but was that also the case for "My First Christmas Without You" and "Hark The Herald Angels sing" or has anyone ever heard a Supremes vocal for these?

Finally, "Winter Wonderland" by The Funk Brothers has appeared on a few Motown Christmas releases - but seems to me it's not The Funks and should be credited to The Wrecking Crew perhaps.
    No vocals were added to "My First Christmas Without You" or "Hark The Herald Angels Sing."

The Funk Brothers' "Winter Wonderland" was a track originally intended for The Temptations cut in 1968. The Supremes' track was cut in Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I agree with you with the exception of a Christmas album. For some reason they work really well with a lush orchestra, esp. heavy on strings.
    I agree, but I think because we've gotten that from her previously, I would like a new Christmas album to go in a different musical direction than with an orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    No vocals were added to "My First Christmas Without You" or "Hark The Herald Angels Sing."
    I've mentioned this before, but I think I'll do it again[[): It would be interesting if they were able to take the tracks without vocals and have the living Motowners add vocals to them. Diana could do "My First Christmas Without You" and "Hark". Otis and the guys could do "Winter Wonderland". I wonder if that's even possible?

The Supremes' track was cut in Los Angeles.
    Of course it was. Why cut a Supremes track in Detroit with the Funks when you can cut it on LA studio musicians instead? Said no Motown fan, ever.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 08-28-2023 at 04:32 PM.

I made a mock album for a second Supremes Christmas album circa 1967/1968.

Name:  IMG_5581.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  19.6 KB

Could have been an interesting album Brad. Wonder if Mary and Cindy would have been on backup duty, or the Andantes again.

My fingers are always crossed that there's at least one Jean Supremes Christmas song waiting to be discovered.

I would have loved a Diana & Marvin Christmas album. Both sounded great singing festive songs, and might have proved another classic.

The Funk Brothers' "Winter Wonderland" was a track originally intended for The Temptations cut in 1968. The Supremes' track was cut in Los Angeles.
    That clarifies it for me thank you.

Mystery - what source are those recording dates from? you mention the Musician's Union?

in my timeline i just have a generic "tracks recorded for Christmas Album" note in August. no specific dates or tunes

but i do have Sept.

9/1 backgrounds for Twinkle, Little Bright Star and Joy to the World
    9/9 lead for Rudolph, Santa Claus, My Fav, Silent Night, O Holy Night, backing vocals for Born of mary, Rudolph, Santa Claus, My Fav, backing vocals recut for Light Bright Star
    9/13 backing vocals for White Christmas
    9/14 leads for First Noel, White Christmas, little Drummer, My Christmas Tree, Little Bright Star, Joy to the World
    9/15 lead for Silver Bells, Born of Mary, Children Christmas, Twinkle
    9/16 backings for Children Christmas, little Drummer, Silent Night, My Christmas Tree
    9/21 background for Silver Bells
    It's from this piece which pertains to Carol Kaye Motown sessions confirmed by Musicians Union documentation at Appendix A [[keep clicking on it and it will become readable. I've transcribed to Excel as well for clarity and updating if you wish to have it). https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...B905769E1E53C3