[REMOVE ADS]

Detroit’s Most Star-Studded Cemetery

Scott on Tape takes us to the final resting places of many Motown greats:

Marv: Thank you very much for locating this. You are truly amazing. Appreciate it. A good video.

My only disappointment is that there was no visitation to the Berry Gordy Family Plot where nearly all the deceased Gordy's are buried.
    Last edited by woodward; 12-06-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Marv: Thank you very much for locating this. You are truly amazing. Appreciate it. A good video.

My only disappointment is that there was no visitation to the Berry Gordy Family Plot where nearly all the deceased Gordy's are buried.
    You are most welcome Woodward. The young man that does these videos is from Detroit, but travels nationwide to produce his videos. This one was a bit sad for me because I had met a number of the people included in this video.

I never visit graves,those i love are in my heart.

It was sad for me.
    I met Uriel Jones quite a few times, and I always enjoyed talking music with him. He told me of a story of a music leader who hired 2 drummers. The other drummer was a fake, & he had one of those little drum machines. Uriel booted it of the platform. We only play real drums.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I never visit graves,those i love are in my heart.
    Where they should be. I do visit some graves but not at all on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    It was sad for me.
    I met Uriel Jones quite a few times, and I always enjoyed talking music with him. He told me of a story of a music leader who hired 2 drummers. The other drummer was a fake, & he had one of those little drum machines. Uriel booted it of the platform. We only play real drums.

edafan
    That is a great story. Uriel is someone I would have enjoyed meeting. I did have the great pleasure of meeting Rosa Parks in Detroit in 1989. She was such a small, frail woman but you could sense her strength. Many of the singers that were subjects of this video I have met and all of them I have seen perform.

Here's another music story Uriel & I shared. I ran a band called Big Band Revival. We were playing a free concert because the town let us practice in the music room. We are playing MacArthur Park. Our drummer screws up the transition from slow to fast. Every body is lost. Uriel howled at that. In fact, the lead tenor sax guy saved us, Standing up, back to the audience, counting down 10987654321 & yells at us 97, so we were all at the same place. Again, Uriel couldn't believe that a drummer didn't know the change from slow to fast in that piece. At a funeral for the town's musical director, most of my band was there & we talked about that piece. Later at the tenor sax man's funeral, his family & I had a good laugh.

edafan

This is the tribute he did to Florence Ballard about a week ago. It is also very well done:

Marv, thanks for posting this. I visited her grave maybe 15 years ago. When I went to the cemetery I had to go to the office and they gave me a map showing where she was buried. The person in the office seemed a little unaware of who Florence was and the legacy that she left behind. I gave her a small background on Florence.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Marv, thanks for posting this. I visited her grave maybe 15 years ago. When I went to the cemetery I had to go to the office and they gave me a map showing where she was buried. The person in the office seemed a little unaware of who Florence was and the legacy that she left behind. I gave her a small background on Florence.
    Good on you for doing that. I know time has past since Flo died, but still she was the founder of probably the most successful Pop group in American Music History and some just don't know. It makes me wonder if the same thing would happen if we visited Brian Jones of the Rollings Stones grave or that of George Harrison of the Beatles.