[REMOVE ADS]

Darlene Love “Disappointed” NBC had Someone Else Sing Her Christmas Signature Hit

Darlene Love “Disappointed” NBC Used Younger Singer Perform Signature Hit on Xmas Tree Show

by Roger Friedman - December 5, 2019
    Darlene Love is mad and I don’t blame her. She posted to Facebook tonight after being unable to get NBC and Brad Lachman Productions to let her sing one of her signature songs on the Rockefeller Plaza Christmas tree lighting show. Darlene is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a true veteran superstar of real rock and roll and soul.

When Paul Shaffer and his band performed on the David Letterman show, each year he’d have Darlene on to sing “Christmas Baby, Please Come Home.” Just a few years ago, Darlene starred in the Oscar winning documentary “20 Feet from Stardom.” She also had to chase Phil Spector through the court system to get any reparations for singing most of his hits in the early 60s solo and with the Crystals.

Not having Darlene Love sing that is like not having Aretha sing “Respect” or Gladys Knight sing “Midnight Train to Georgia.” You just don’t do it.

Here’s what she posted:

“Once again I was snubbed by Brad Lachman Productions who produce the Rockefeller Christmas Tree lighting ceremony and instead they book another artist to perform my song “Christmas Baby, Please Come Home” each year!! Such an insult and let down! They book these young artists who can’t even hit the notes properly and are off key. Makes NO sense!! That’s my song and I’m still alive. Show me some respect! My publicist has been trying for over 10 years to lock this performance down for me and they keep saying that I’m not their demo or big enough and would only book me if Bette Midler or Bruce Springsteen would do it with me. I would NEVER ask my friends to do that. If you want them, go thru their team. This business can be so unfair at times. Don’t get me wrong, I’m TRULY blessed for what I have accomplished at 78 years of age but it’s still a constant struggle to stay relevant and convince those who control the industry that I’m worth it. I’m turning off the TV. Gotta rest up for my holiday tour. Thank you to all my fans and friends who do support me. You keep my spirit happy and alive. Love, DARLENE! ❤️”

TV ALERT: Darlene wil perform “Christmas Baby Please Come Home” on December 20th on The View.

Darlene also posted this on Facebook:
    “In the meantime, PLEASE tune in to The View on 12/20 to watch me perform MY song with a very special guest. I know some of you object to me doing The View but PLEASE just put aside your political views for me this one time. The producers at ABC treat me very well and with respect. They produce my entire segment, pay my entire band, singers and me too and cover all my expenses. Most other TV shows require ME to pay them $15,000 to $20,000 to perform. I don’t have that kind of money and not signed to a label. This is all out of my pocket so I’m very grateful for Jamie Hammer and Brian Teta who by the way was a former producer at David Letterman who helped bring me over to The View. Thank you for allowing me to vent my frustrations to all of you and Thank you listening and showing me your love and support. This will help me get a good night sleep. God bless ❤️😘

https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/12/0...xmas-tree-show

wow

'it's not like Christmas at all'

I had no idea a performer would have to pay to perform. That is ridiculous.

Same thing as when Beyonce was selected to sing "At Last" at Obama's Inaugural Ball instead of Etta James. Etta threw a fit!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I had no idea a performer would have to pay to perform. That is ridiculous.
    They had to basically pay to record back in Darlene's day too.

They shouldn't be treating the godmother of Whitney Houston and the vocalist behind MANY of Phil Spector's songs this way. The original Queen of Christmas Music? Really?

This is so wrong! Darlene Love is a dynamite performer! She should sing her song on this holiday show !Berry Gordy was right the music business is a fighting business! What happened to musical talent? It was led to the door. Thank God for David Letterman! Come on Jimmy Kimmel give her show time!

When Chubby Checker first wanted to sing "The
    Twist" in Wildwood, NJ, a club refused to book him. He told the club owners that he would pay them to book him to perform his song live. Luckily, things changed quickly as this song became a monster hit and they paid him to perform. And let's not forget his hit"Let's Twist Again".

I love Darlene. I caught her Christmas show at BBKing's in 2017. She is still a great performer.

That said, nothing will ever compare to the majesty of her performance on the final David Letterman Christmas show. No other show or organization will roll out the red carpet for her in the way that he did. If I were Darlene, I would let that Letterman grand finale be the public's lasting impression of me and that song.

good for Darlene , making public these ugly treatments of her and by who --- by name . Put it out there Darlene for all to see, what have you got to lose!

And knock them dead on The View. I'm impressed to learn of their respectful, proper, and appreciative reception of you.

Until they book Darlene Love to sing "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)", I'm not watching any of the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting specials on NBC. Looking forward to seeing Darlene on The View on the 20th.

What planet are you all living on?

Television is a business. It is a money generating business. The network has every reason to bring artists that will attract a younger demographic because they buy the sponsors products. The networks loyalty is to their sponsors, not an old lady who desperately wants to be on TV.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 12-07-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post

Television is a business. It is a money generating business. The network has every reason to bring artists that will attract a younger demographic because they buy the sponsors products. The networks loyalty is to their sponsors, not an old lady who desperately wants to be on tv.
    I guess that's why Diana Ross can't get on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Darlene Love is NOT Diana Ross and never was.

But, Ross is somewhat unknown to the important younger demographic.

Darlene Love is NOT Diana Ross and never was.

But, Ross is somewhat unknown to the important younger demographic.
    Yeah, that's right. Darlene is a much better singer. The younger demographic is not as dominant or as populous as the Baby Boomer generation was at that age, so who cares?

They also have much less disposable income now than Boomers had then!
    Last edited by marv2; 12-08-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by circa 1824 View Post
    what planet are you all living on?

Television is a business. It is a money generating business. The network has every reason to bring artists that will attract a younger demographic because they buy the sponsors products. The networks loyalty is to their sponsors, not an old lady who desperately wants to be on tv.
    look i can dig where you're coming from,but darlene was the original artist and out of respect she should have been invited to sing her song,and that's part of the problem today-these[young demographics]need to brush up on who came before,oh and that[old lady]crack was uncalled for,there aren't many of our[classic]artist left,we need to respect them!

What they should do is rustle up some Disney kids and have them do the "Christmaaaasss, Christmaaaasss" bvs, while letting Darlene do her thing out front. The duet versions on The View have been awkward and clearly underrehearsed.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    What they should do is rustle up some Disney kids and have them do the "Christmaaaasss, Christmaaaasss" bvs, while letting Darlene do her thing out front. The duet versions on The View have been awkward and clearly underrehearsed.
    The performances on "The View" have been awful compared to what she did with Letterman. I don't care to watch her performances descend into further decrepitude year after year. I guess it's all about money and I don't begrudge any of our heritage artists making money -- including that certain other fabulous diva.

Television is a business. It is a money generating business. The network has every reason to bring artists that will attract a younger demographic because they buy the sponsors products. The networks loyalty is to their sponsors, not an old lady who desperately wants to be on TV.
    Ya Ya, I know. And Jennifer Lopez was demographically the perfect choice to perform the Motown medley. ~ Que pasa Detroit!! ~ lol!!!

There’s a couple issues here

One is if the original artist doesn’t sound much like they did back in the day, any show of more than local interest, will look at their market and find someone appealing that sounds good

As much as some of us love Martha Reeves, they won’t hire her for national shows to sing as she does today. And they won’t hire Mary Wilson to sing her bass version of Baby Love and Stop in the Name of Love

It’s a vicious business and there’s not much money for heritage artists in it

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There’s a couple issues here

One is if the original artist doesn’t sound much like they did back in the day, any show of more than local interest, will look at their market and find someone appealing that sounds good

As much as some of us love Martha Reeves, they won’t hire her for national shows to sing as she does today. And they won’t hire Mary Wilson to sing her bass version of Baby Love and Stop in the Name of Love

It’s a vicious business and there’s not much money for heritage artists in it
    Run, don't walk over to the DRATS Forum and listen to how bad Diana Ross sounded.....last night! She sounds like she swallowed two alley cats that were fighting the whole time on their way down her throat! The thread is called "Diana Ross - Why Do Fools Fall In Love -Dec. 7, 2019!" If anything, it makes it clear, very clear that it is time for Diana Ross to go somewhere and sit down. Why she continues to embarrass herself like that is beyond me. I know she needs and wants the money, but come on.........
    Last edited by marv2; 12-09-2019 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Ya Ya, I know. And Jennifer Lopez was demographically the perfect choice to perform the Motown medley. ~ Que pasa Detroit!! ~ lol!!!
    Touche! Circa 1824 doesn't know what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I'm STILL not over that.

From happier days. Shindig use to come on twice a week. I think it was on Tues and Thurs nights:

Touche! Circa 1824 doesn't know what he is talking about.
    i do know Darlene Love is an old lady that young viewers do not want to watch. She was never a big star. She had a good voice, but like her youth, it is gone.

As obsessed as you are over Diana Ross. You know she doesn’t have a problem getting prime time TV exposure. She performed at the televised “Rockefeller Christmas Tree lighting” just last year as well as the “Macy’s day Parade” and NBC’s
    “New Years Eve” special. I know you were so envious and jealous at the time. I’m so sorry Mary Wilson has to resort to all these unknown local tv shows to try and hype her book.

i do know Darlene Love is an old lady that young viewers do not want to watch. She was never a big star. She had a good voice, but like her youth, it is gone.
    She's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist. Diana Ross isn't! They didn't induct Darlene as a part of a group like the Blossoms, Crystals or Bob E. Soxx and the Blue Jeans, but for her solo contributions. At least she can still sing. Diana Ross sounds like Donald Duck sucking helium!

I’d love it Darlene brought Bette and Bruce onto the View just to show those tv folks who wanted them!!

Darlene was great as usual but it was really a duet with Jason Cerulo who was god but I need Darlene solo! On the View.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Darlene was great as usual but it was really a duet with Jason Cerulo who was god but I need Darlene solo! On the View.
    I didn't get to see it. Did they give her the full treatment?

I didn't get to see it. Did they give her the full treatment?

Darlene is asked about the controversy about her not singing at Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting and tells how she felt about it

The View certainly gave her her props though she sang much of the song with Jason Cerulo which I felt diluted it all to a degree.

Great performance by Darlene and Jason. Loved it.

So Glad to see Darlene Love perform her Holiday Standard, "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)" on The View. She's Still Got It [[and when they spoke to her about her being left out of The Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting Shows, she simply said "I've found a new home here on The View").

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    The View certainly gave her her props though she sang much of the song with Jason Cerulo which I felt diluted it all to a degree.
    Good for Darlene! She is a true living legend.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    wonderful performance. successful pairing, he is bringing out the best in her and Darlene is having a ball.

Jason Derulo was nice, but she didn't need him out there. They should have paired her with someone like Charlie Wilson. Heck, even Chubby Checker!

Sounds good looks good.