[REMOVE ADS]

Is there a Motown Calendar? If Not, Why Not?

I just picked up a 2020 David Bowie full color picture calendar, as well as a Marvel Avengers Endgame calendar;
    there are calendars for Beatles, Elvis etc how has there never been a Motown calendar with a different group/ artist for each month??

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I just picked up a 2020 David Bowie full color picture calendar, as well as a Marvel Avengers Endgame calendar;
    there are calendars for Beatles, Elvis etc how has there never been a Motown calendar with a different group/ artist for each month??
    There should be a Soulful Detroit calendar too. Could you imagine that hot mess?

Back in the 90s, I bought Motown calendars for at least two years, maybe three. Not sure why they stopped making them.

Seems like something the Museum could do each year and have for sale in the gift shop and online......I have one from years ago as well, but can't remember what year specifically.
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    There should be a Soulful Detroit calendar too. Could you imagine that hot mess?
    I'LL DONATE A BABY PIC...[with my first hooch bottle]!

I agree that it would be a great item for the Museum. Though, probably as all mercantile decisions based on sales volume.

Amazon.co.uk has some 2019 Motown calendars available for purchase. No sign of a 2020 calendar though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Offi...1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

weren't there calendars offered by Motown itself in 70/71? remember that hot orange and pink LP inner sleeve that I think featured fan clubs, pennants, posters and other items? I always wanted that hanging mobile thing

I bought the 2019 calendar but I think that must have been a one off as 2020 would have been for sales ages ago

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    weren't there calendars offered by Motown itself in 70/71? remember that hot orange and pink LP inner sleeve that I think featured fan clubs, pennants, posters and other items? I always wanted that hanging mobile thing
    I remember that and of course still have some of those inner sleeves. I sent away my two dollars or whatever it was and never received a thing!

Just to let you know, I used the Motown Calendar from 2002 this year 2019.
    The days lined up perfectly.
    So if you have 2003, use it.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Just to let you know, I used the Motown Calendar from 2002 this year 2019.
    The days lined up perfectly.
    So if you have 2003, use it.

edafan
    But what about Leap Year?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    But what about Leap Year?
    All I know is that the days lines up perfectly 2002 with 2019, 17 years

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    All I know is that the days lines up perfectly 2002 with 2019, 17 years

edafan
    My research uncovered that, for this to work in the new year, one would need to find a 1992 calendar! [[That was the last leap year that started on a Wednesday.)

Always on Amazon, but never seen the Motown 2019 Calendar, looks really good. These days Calendars are not expensive to produce, and people who produce them do them on supply and demand, order a small stock, and once they have it set up they will reprint on demand

I see the producers of the calendar have produced a Motown year planner for 2020. but no pictures inside? usually you can contact the seller, I would have done about a calendar, but no option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Without-Mot...-1&text=Motown

To the best of my knowledge, the Motown Museum officially produced a total of 3 calendars starting with Year 2000 and the final one was Year 2002.

The Year 2000 calendar is 8-1/2 x 11 [[unopened). It does not include any artist or group pictures. The 12 calendar pads for each month show the birthdays of the various artists and on the right hand side of each month beginning with January are historical facts for each year from 1957 through 1958. The calendar sold for $15. Also included is a COA [[Certificate of Authenticity) for the calendar as well as a certificate entitling the bearer to half price admission for 2 to the museum. Valid thru 12/31/2000. The calendar includes color original music art throughout the year. As I said, no pictures.

The Year 2001 is 12" x 12" and designated Motown: The Early Years. It was published by Universe International Publications, Inc., NYC. Printed in Hong Kong. January color picture was of Gladys Knight & Pips; February was the Contours; March was Jr. Walker and the All Stars; April was Martha & the Vandellas; May was the Four Tops; June was Mary Wells; July was the Miracles; August was Stevie Wonder; September was the Temptations; October was Marvin Gaye; November was the Marvelettes; and December was the Supremes. Each monthly calendar pad for each artist[[s) includes all the members names, an abbreviated background on the artist, outstanding singles, and outstanding albums. The tradition from the previous year was continued showing the birthdate of the various artists on their birthday. Cost was reduced to $12.95.

I own a copy of both of these as I was involved in the research and development of each of these calendars. My name is included in the acknowledgement section of both of these.

Now, in addition, there is one calendar that I do not have a copy of. Back in 2018 I printed out from Amazon the screen showing Motown: The Early Years 2002 Wall Calendar. This is designated as the official calendar from the Motown Museum. This appears to be the same size as the 2001 calendar. It, naturally, is out of print and I do not know anyone who owns one.

https://www.amazon.com/Motown-Early-...5729871&sr=8-1

Hopefully some other SDF members can provide the information on the 2002 wall calendar. Had I been available to assist in it's publication, I might have gotten one, but there were extenuating circumstances which precluded me from assisting.
    Last edited by woodward; 12-07-2019 at 10:46 AM.

You can make your own quite cheaply...!

I produced a personalised calendar for 2020 with pics I'd taken during 2019 earlier today using an online company ...in my case: vistaprint ...the calendar cost around £9UK + postage...!

Name:  2020 Calendar.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  88.2 KB

I'm sure those with a good set of Motown photos could do even better...!!

Cool Grapevine !!

_______

Printed Calendars are becoming another victim of changing times. You'll find them on the back shelves at CVS with the Xmas cards.
    Calendars like your watch, are now on your phone.

You Can use the Motown 2002 if you be a little creative
    Use the May 2002 which starts on a Wednesday & June can replace February: It just has an extra day 30

Type out JANUARY on your computer & print it out & Place it over the word MAY & do the same with FEBRUARY over June

See you get to see the pics of our great Motown stars again

Just pick the month that starts on the same day even if you have to use the Motown 2001 one

edafan