[REMOVE ADS]

Automatically Sunshine - The Supremes - Horn Section Cover

This is just nifty! LOL!

Loved it. I have always been a sucker for that song

Great findMarv and they sounded pretty good. Fun to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Great findMarv and they sounded pretty good. Fun to watch!
    I wished it were longer.

I loved Frank Wilson's work with the group. This grouping of Supremes and Smokey Robinson fit like a glove in my opinion! There could have, should have been a number one and at least 2 Top 10 hits off of the "Floy Joy" album!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I loved Frank Wilson's work with the group. This grouping of Supremes and Smokey Robinson fit like a glove in my opinion! There could have, should have been a number one and at least 2 Top 10 hits off of the "Floy Joy" album!
    Agree. Floy Joy is an album i can listen to without wanting to skip any tracks. Should have done so much better.
    I always wonder if Cindy would have been given some kind of solo on the album had she not been leaving. Fun video.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Agree. Floy Joy is an album i can listen to without wanting to skip any tracks. Should have done so much better.
    I always wonder if Cindy would have been given some kind of solo on the album had she not been leaving. Fun video.
    I would have like to have heard her lead "Precious Little Things".

Very nice horn use I am glad that Automatically Sunshine was a big enough UK hit to be remembered...It wasn't even included in the USA short-on-songs '78 At Their Best LP..

I have to say, when it was new I thought the Floy Joy LP was missing "punch"...I liked the entire LP, very much so....but thought it was lacking anything that would give the group a super hit. There was nothing like Up The Ladder, Stoned Love or even Nathan Jones that grabbed me....Everything seemed so pulled back, sound wise. It's a great LP that could have been much better with a bit more brilliance and less compression on the instrumental part.. the background vocal mix is perfect... Cindy's parts are very present here....To me, this is the groups "QUIET STORM" classic. The LP is #6 on my top 10 fav. Supremes LPS.

I don't like the male background flourishes on YWSSL. I like the latinesque percussion...with less "compression" and a bit more work on the music track it may have made a better impact as a single. It always reminded me of Honey Cones "One Monkey".

The unreleased slightly longer mix's of "FJ" and "AS" are indeed better on the 70's Rare Classics.

"Over and Over" is one of my fav. songs..."Precious Little Things" "Wisdom of Time" "A Heart Like Mine" ...dim light late night mood classics for me..."Oh Be My Love" with its mellow funk could have very comfortably fit into the "TOUCH" Lp.

Good thoughts on the album. I liked it from the first, too. No, nothing "punchy" on it, but I did like the playful, retro feel of the single Floy Joy. Automatically Sunshine is one that has definitely grown on me. Not a bad cut on the album. The cover is stunning [[as was the cover of Touch). Definitely one of my top 10 favorite Supremes album.

i do really like the FJ album too. Frank's work with the girls was great but it was also huge. big productions. so i found the FJ set to be refreshing. clean, light, sparkly, effervescent, sugary.

fans have mentioned that the tracks could use at least SOME more instrumentation and punch. and i can understand their POV. To me it's almost like the girls are joined by a funk band and they recorded together. stripped down, basic, natural.

that being said, i LOVE this video clip!!! the horns and brass do sound excellent with it. wish we could find their playing along with the full song

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Very nice horn use I am glad that Automatically Sunshine was a big enough UK hit to be remembered...It wasn't even included in the USA short-on-songs '78 At Their Best LP..

I have to say, when it was new I thought the Floy Joy LP was missing "punch"...I liked the entire LP, very much so....but thought it was lacking anything that would give the group a super hit. There was nothing like Up The Ladder, Stoned Love or even Nathan Jones that grabbed me....Everything seemed so pulled back, sound wise. It's a great LP that could have been much better with a bit more brilliance and less compression on the instrumental part.. the background vocal mix is perfect... Cindy's parts are very present here....To me, this is the groups "QUIET STORM" classic. The LP is #6 on my top 10 fav. Supremes LPS.

I don't like the male background flourishes on YWSSL. I like the latinesque percussion...with less "compression" and a bit more work on the music track it may have made a better impact as a single. It always reminded me of Honey Cones "One Monkey".

The unreleased slightly longer mix's of "FJ" and "AS" are indeed better on the 70's Rare Classics.

"Over and Over" is one of my fav. songs..."Precious Little Things" "Wisdom of Time" "A Heart Like Mine" ...dim light late night mood classics for me..."Oh Be My Love" with its mellow funk could have very comfortably fit into the "TOUCH" Lp.
    excellent points here! i agree with pretty much everything you said. especially about the compression. that really might have helped the album. open up the sound a bit - literally.

I think the 3 singles had the best chance for being hits but with some changes. the sloppy edits on FJ should have been cleaned up, AS needed to be a bit longer IMO. Although i find it fascinating, i agree that the version with the instrumental break in the middle sort of chops it up too much. and YWSSL needed to be a touch faster and no male vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post

Do you know if they Supremes performed Automatically Sunshine on television in the U.K.?

Do you know if they Supremes performed Automatically Sunshine on television in the U.K.?
    Yes they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes they did.
    talk about a marvelous clip, if it were to ever surface. obviously it was MJL. wonder if it was live or lip sync

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    talk about a marvelous clip, if it were to ever surface. obviously it was MJL. wonder if it was live or lip sync
    It was a live performance as i recall, and yes it was JML.

did MJL tour England in 72? i know they did in spring of 73. there are the pics of them on the set doing Bad Weather.

did MJL tour England in 72? i know they did in spring of 73. there are the pics of them on the set doing Bad Weather.
    They did several tours in the early 70's.

I know MJC made their first appearance in UK in Nov 71. spent the better part of the full month there. Then i have MJL appearing in March 73. but don't know of any 72 dates.

and MSC got there in fall 75. but not sure of any 74 dates for them

I know MJC made their first appearance in UK in Nov 71. spent the better part of the full month there. Then i have MJL appearing in March 73. but don't know of any 72 dates.

I know my friend's elder brother went to see them on more than one occasion. I was too young to take much notice of actual dates. I recall them doing Top of the Pops with the Four Tops in 71. I recall they did Nathan Jones on the Cilla Black show, but i don't know the date. They did Automatically Sunshine on some variety show. It may have been Cliff Richard, Lulu or Cilla Black. They did a tour around the time of the Jimmy Webb album, and they did Bad weather on top of the pops in 73. They didn't visit in 74, but did several performances of He's my man in 75, and returned in 76 and 77.

They toured with Sweet Sensation [["Sad Sweet Dreamer") at that time.

It is crazy why those that possess that clip do not upload it or share it somewhere.

I heard that there was a television commercial that used "Automatically Sunshine".

It is crazy why those that possess that clip do not upload it or share it somewhere.
    i agree. the only reason i can think is that maybe the clip originated with an employee dubbing it or releasing a copy of it [[which wouldn't have been allowed or authorized) so perhaps there was, initially, fear of getting a fan in trouble. Given that this was decades ago though i can't imagine why it's such an issue today. Yes youtube might pull it down for copywrite violations. but it could still be easily shared with fans

i agree. the only reason i can think is that maybe the clip originated with an employee dubbing it or releasing a copy of it [[which wouldn't have been allowed or authorized) so perhaps there was, initially, fear of getting a fan in trouble. Given that this was decades ago though i can't imagine why it's such an issue today. Yes youtube might pull it down for copywrite violations. but it could still be easily shared with fans
    You'd swallow your tongue if you saw some of the stuff I've seen and people have sent me over the years. Some I don't mention because it is generally believed to not exist LOL! Anyway, the clip of "Automatically Sunshine" shouldn't cause a problem. Not because it is old [[there are much older and rarer clips up on Youtube), not because it was so famous that it would be instantly struck down.

Speaking of the record. It has such a dark feel to it once it starts and turns joyous before it concludes. I recall it being on the radio in the Fall of the year in 1972.
    It fit the season.