[REMOVE ADS]

Songs you initially thought were MEH but grew to love

Hi all,

I have been thinking about this lately. What song[[s) have you heard and your original thought was either "I hate it" or "Meh", but over the course of time you grew to like or even love?

The song that immediately comes to my mind is "Forever Came Today" by DRATS. I have really come to appreciate this song, from Diana's delivery, the muted horns at the beginning and the high background voice running throughout.

When I was younger I found the Jackson 5's Maybe Tomorrow pretty boring but now appreciate the beautiful delivery and the melody.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatkliqkid View Post
    When I was younger I found the Jackson 5's Maybe Tomorrow pretty boring but now appreciate the beautiful delivery and the melody.
    Maybe tomorrow doesn't get the same attention of some of their earlier hits, but its become my favorite songs of the groups.

I initially was not keen on It's So Hard Being a Loser by the Contours, but now love it. It's another great underappreciated work by James Dean, William Weatherspoon, and S McMuller.

The other song is Didn't You Know You Have To Cry Sometimes by GK&TP. Now I think its a soul masterpiece by the group and Ashford & Simpson.

Corner of the sky - Jackson 5

Shoo be Doo Da day - Stevie wonder

Sparkle by Diana Ross

"Doobedood'ndoobe, Doobedood'ndoobe, Doobedood'ndoo" - Diana Ross. Love it now but I still think that the title is a bit naff!

Just thinking of past singles I've come to really like more:

Your Unchanging Love
    I'll Be In Trouble
    Don't Look Back
    Baby, Baby Don't Cry
    Somethings You Never Get Used To
    Automatically Sunshine
    Ben

I'll probably remember others but these occurred to me fairly easily.

Got To Give it up
    sir duke
    bad weather

One that comes to mind is Kim Weston's "Love Me All The Way".

Richard Harris MacArthur Park

Now some of the lines come out of nowhere into my head

"After all the worries of my life, I'll be thinking of you"
    "and wondering why?"

edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 12-04-2019 at 10:53 AM.

The Temptations' "My Baby" and Don't Look Back"

I used to hate Curtis Mayfield's "Freddie's Dead". The bass line was boring and the song never broke out. But now, I like it a lot because I've grown to appreciate his music and that song is an atypically typical Curtis Mayfield gem.

When I was a kid, I never liked "Lady Marmalade" by LaBelle but now, there's nothing about the song that I don't like. I think I used to take umbrage to their funky presentation when performing it and didn't hear the song because the clothes were too loud.

"Never Can Say Goodbye" by the Jackson 5 took a while for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Sparkle by Diana Ross
    Good choice

Then - Four Tops
    Head To Toe - Miracles
    There's No Stopping Us Now - Supremes
    Take This Heart Of Mine - Marvin Gaye
    Contract On Love - Stevie Wonder
    Keep On Loving Me - Frances Nero
    Motoring - Martha & The Vandellas

"I Wanna Be Your Lover" & "1999"-Prince
    "Never Too Much"-Luther Vandross
    "Jump To It"-Aretha Franklin
    "The Message"-Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five

And here's a whole album that I thought was "meh" the first time I heard it [[but grew to love after getting the 'deluxe edition'); The Supremes-Supremes A Go-Go.

For me, hands down, no contest, is "What Am I Going to Do Without Your Love," by Martha & Vandellas. I hated it when it was released but within a short time I grew to love it and still do.
    Last edited by BigAl; 12-05-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Smokey Robinson & the Miracles’ “The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage”, didn’t faze me much when I heard it for the first time at the age of 9. It only became one of my all time favorites after I’d experienced a few “mirages” myself in my teens.

Believe it or not, a few Tammi Terrell recordings were this with me. Namely, her rendition of “That’s What Girls [[Boys) Are Made For”. I would skip it every time it played on the “Essential collection”. It was when I heard it played entirely on Midnight Johnny’s show, that it finally grew on me.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    Then - Four Tops
    Head To Toe - Miracles
    There's No Stopping Us Now - Supremes
    Take This Heart Of Mine - Marvin Gaye
    Contract On Love - Stevie Wonder
    Keep On Loving Me - Frances Nero
    Motoring - Martha & The Vandellas
    I actually prefer Chris Clark's version of Head To Toe over the Miracles version.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Smokey Robinson & the Miracles’ “The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage”, didn’t faze me much when I heard it for the first time at the age of 9. It only became one of my all time favorites after I’d experienced a few “mirages” myself in my teens.

Believe it or not, a few Tammi Terrell recordings were this with me. Namely, her rendition of “That’s What Girls [[Boys) Are Made For”. I would skip it every time it played on the “Essential collection”. It was when I heard it played entirely on Midnight Johnny’s show, that it finally grew on me.
    You have to listen to The Love I Saw a couple of times to catch the clever lyrics of Smokey. When I first took the time I listened to it and HEARD the song, I fell in love with it and played it over and over again.

I actually prefer Tammi's version of the song over the Spinners version. Fuqua and Smokey brought out the best in Tammi's vocals.

Prince's Another Lonely Christmas. Heard today for the first time of the season; still an asinine song but a dynamic performance, arrangement and production.

IMHO Bobby Smith OWNS “That’s What Girls Are Made For”! His vocals were like cold butter on hot bread and not even the Spinners themselves could top it with the ‘68 Motown version [[I do prefer Tammi’s version to that one).

In and out of Love

Saturday Night... - Thelma Houston
    You - Marvin Gaye
    I Guess I’ll Miss The Man - Supremes
    Shakey Ground - Temptations