[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes sing "Silver Bells"

"Silver Bells" by The Supremes is a Classic Christmas Song to get me in the Holiday Spirit!

I love it too....as a very young person, I had the Supremes Christmas LP in Mono [[I guess...) there were no backing vocals on this, very little on White Christmas....sometime in the 80's I picked up the Natural Resources issue, and heard the different mixes. I liked my original LP better. I am not a huge fan of Christmas music at all....but I liked the Mono mixes of White Christmas, and Silver Bells...my fav on the LP is Born of Mary...I like Little Dummer Boy, Twinkle Twinkle ad My Christmas Tree....I cant name one other Christmas LP I like 1/2 of....so, this one may be my favorite...IN MONO...

A favorite cut from a favorite album, and my first listening of the season! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I love it too....as a very young person, I had the Supremes Christmas LP in Mono [[I guess...) there were no backing vocals on this, very little on White Christmas....sometime in the 80's I picked up the Natural Resources issue, and heard the different mixes. I liked my original LP better. I am not a huge fan of Christmas music at all....but I liked the Mono mixes of White Christmas, and Silver Bells...my fav on the LP is Born of Mary...I like Little Dummer Boy, Twinkle Twinkle ad My Christmas Tree....I cant name one other Christmas LP I like 1/2 of....so, this one may be my favorite...IN MONO...
    The mono Supremes Christmas album is my preference, as well. In addition to no backing vocals on White Christmas and Silver Bells and the studio chatter on Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, the songs My Christmas Tree and Twinkle Twinkle Little me are alternate [[and better, imo) vocals.

Yes, this is a shameless plug for the Ultimate Christmas Expanded CDs but in case you don't have it, the mono version is there on CD for the first time and I think the new mix of the whole album with more alternate vocals is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    A favorite cut from a favorite album, and my first listening of the season! Thanks.
    Yes, yes and yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Yes, this is a shameless plug for the Ultimate Christmas Expanded CDs but in case you don't have it, the mono version is there on CD for the first time and I think the new mix of the whole album with more alternate vocals is the best.
    George- Do you know if there are any more Christmas tunes from the 60's by any of the Motown artists yet to be released?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    George- Do you know if there are any more Christmas tunes from the 60's by any of the Motown artists yet to be released?
    I don't but honestly I haven't investigated. There are certainly alternate vocals as there were with the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    The only 'shame' would be any fan who has not purchased a copy of this [[and all the other!) EE. Thanks so, so much for your dedication to these priceless projects.

Now I have to go listen to the differences....thanks....always loved this album

I love Silver Bells. I'll say it again. I am amazed that the musical arrangements and the production of this album in the 1960s have withstood the 'test of time' in how it still sounds like good, ole, traditional Christmas music that many of us baby boomers treasure. This is a great testament to Berry Gordy and his people who knew how to make a specialty album that would continue today to be one folk reach for during this time of the year.
    Last edited by jobucats; 12-17-2019 at 12:34 PM.

i like Silver Bells here but it's SO SLOW! it seems that whomever arranged all of the tracks must have just come to the studio from a funeral dirge. now i understand that this isn't a disco number [[hmmmm but that could be an interesting idea lolol) but so many of the songs are just about sapped of any life by being so slow. and it makes it challenging for the singers to keep on pitch and focused.

i think it's more apparent on Bethlehem, silent night and most glaring on O Holy Night. White Christmas could use a bump up or two on the metronome also.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i like Silver Bells here but it's SO SLOW! it seems that whomever arranged all of the tracks must have just come to the studio from a funeral dirge. now i understand that this isn't a disco number [[hmmmm but that could be an interesting idea lolol) but so many of the songs are just about sapped of any life by being so slow. and it makes it challenging for the singers to keep on pitch and focused.

i think it's more apparent on Bethlehem, silent night and most glaring on O Holy Night. White Christmas could use a bump up or two on the metronome also.
    I wouldn't have it any other way! I love it just the way it is. Fantastic version and an all time classic festive album.

I thought the same thing: too dirge-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I wouldn't have it any other way! I love it just the way it is. Fantastic version and an all time classic festive album.
    again, love the different view points!

i like the album but i've always wondered how it might have sounded had it been recorded the following year. the maturity in all of their voices [[think of their sound on the R&H collection) would have been fascinating. and IMO maybe preferred

i like the album but i've always wondered how it might have sounded had it been recorded the following year. the maturity in all of their voices [[think of their sound on the R&H collection) would have been fascinating. and IMO maybe preferred
    Who knows, but i am glad they recorded it when they did. Maybe a 2nd Christmas album would have been as good, but i don't think i could have liked it any better than the existing one.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 12-17-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Not finished the post

The Christmas album is in my Top Ten of Supremes albums.

I think the arrangements are perfect for the time when it was recorded in 1965. Berry Gordy was recording The Supremes singing adult contemporary standards for the unreleased "There's A Place For Us" album and eventually Side 1 of the "I Hear A Symphony" album. It follows that the Christmas classics "White Christmas" and "Silver Bells" would be recorded with familiar arrangements rather than having POP or rock arrangements. [[I agree that the songs that were recorded and not released at the time are dirge-like and sub-par.)

For many years, particularly 1965-1969 when the group was consistently on the charts, radio stations would routinely play "White Christmas", "Silver Bells"," Twinkle Twinkle Little Me", "My Favorite Things" and "Rudolph" quite regularly, and some of the others less frequently. Now it's mostly just "My Favorite Things".

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Who knows, but i am glad they recorded it when they did. Maybe a 2nd Christmas album would have been as good, but i don't think i could have liked it any better than the existing one.
    oh i do enjoy the set. just nit-picking little ways to make it better for sake of interesting fan dialog

oh i do enjoy the set. just nit-picking little ways to make it better for sake of interesting fan dialog
    You always keep it respectful and you do start some interesting threads. Keep up the good work.

I think part of what I love so much about the LP as-is is the 'young lady' feel to the vocals - out of child- and teen-hood but still not as jaded as we may become about holidays later in life. With SB I always imagine a young lady on perhaps her first Christmas shopping as an adult and experiencing all the familiar sights but with a new appreciation.

^ Good take!

In stores, I hear quite often, "My Favorite Things". My favorite song is "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Me. "It still sounds so fresh and new. One of my favorite Supremes album. I will listen to it in the summer and get a smile on my face. The orchestrations on this album are lovely and I love the laid back cozy feel of this album!!!!!😊

Yesterday I popped into 7-Eleven during my lunch break and they were playing the Supremes' RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "Silver Bells" by The Supremes is a Classic Christmas Song to get me in the Holiday Spirit!
    "Silver Bells" is one of my absolute favorite Christmas songs by anyone, so of course I'm wild about the Supremes version. I was pleasantly surprised to get the missing verse on the expanded edition a couple years ago. A real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I love Silver Bells. I'll say it again. I am amazed that the musical arrangements and the production of this album in the 1960s have withstood the 'test of time' in how it still sounds like good, ole, traditional Christmas music that many of us baby boomers treasure. This is a great testament to Berry Gordy and his people who knew how to make a specialty album that would continue today to be one folk reach for during this time of the year.
    I think it has stood up because of those traditional arrangements. But from a Motown fan POV, I have to wonder how much better the album might have been had all of the tracks had the trademark Motown sound. But ultimately it really is a very well done album. The outtakes as well.

Been listening to the Supremes silver bells.i prefer the stereo version overall. Have to find my expanded CD ...great album. And I have to agree I would say this would also be in my top ten list.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Been listening to the Supremes silver bells.i prefer the stereo version overall. Have to find my expanded CD ...great album. And I have to agree I would say this would also be in my top ten list.
    I have been playing it recently. It still sounds mighty fine.

Well I finally found my expanded Christmas cd.wow. I forgot about all the gems on disc 2. I like the new My Favorite things.