[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 121
  1. #1

    Mary says that she & flo were on the supremes' christmas album

    “I absolutely love ‘My Favorite Things’ from our Christmas album. It’s so great that the song remains a holiday favorite after all these years – and how much fun it is to now have an animated video,” said Mary Wilson, founding member of The Supremes. “Flo, Diane and I were so happy to sing all of these wonderful holiday songs and we had so much fun shooting the album cover up in the mountains.”

    Three of Motown’s biggest Christmas classics – The Jackson 5’s “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus,” The Supremes’ “My Favorite Things” and The Temptations’ “Silent Night” have been brought to life with a series of official animated videos illustrating the magic of the holiday season.

    https://radiofacts.com/christmas-cla...ficial-videos/


  2. #2

  3. #3
    I wished they had included a couple of Mary and Florence's leads on that album when it was originally released. I especially like Florence singing "O' Holy Night".

  4. #4
    I wouldn't be surprised if they're mixed in there somewhere on some of those songs.

  5. #5
    This would be a fab thread in the DRATS Forum.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    694
    It is amazing how much work and responsibility Diana had on this performance, and how little the other 2 had. The other 2 only just glided around the stage.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-28-2019 at 12:00 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    This would be a fab thread in the DRATS Forum.
    Well, it has been, about 2,647 times ... I lost precise count. Have a wonderful, Mysterious Thanksgiving!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    This would be a fab thread in the DRATS Forum.
    Perhaps. Matter of opinion. Ralph can move it if he wants. But the link I provided in my post is an article about all the new Motown videos including J5 and Tempts and other UMG Christmas standards that are now part of the UMG group like Sinatra, Bobby Hellms and Brenda Lee.

    https://radiofacts.com/christmas-cla...ficial-videos/

  9. #9
    I can add another thread on this in the DRATS forum.

  10. #10
    Mary has also said she and Diana recorded "Someday We'll Be Together" in 1970. So.....
    Last edited by marybrewster; 11-28-2019 at 06:48 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Mary has also said she and Diana recorded "Someday We'll Be Together" in 1970. So.....
    They did. Here it is. I have the album:


  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Well, it has been, about 2,647 times ... I lost precise count. Have a wonderful, Mysterious Thanksgiving!
    I think 2,648 is the magic number to convince the other side.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I think 2,648 is the magic number to convince the other side.
    Convincing folks that claim to be "Supremes fans". but hate the fact that The Supremes are on their own records is crazy and a waste of time to begin with. I've always known they were on the "Merry Christmas" album. I'll take the word of someone that was actually there at the time over anyone else!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Convincing folks that claim to be "Supremes fans". but hate the fact that The Supremes are on their own records is crazy and a waste of time to begin with. I've always known they were on the "Merry Christmas" album. I'll take the word of someone that was actually there at the time over anyone else!
    The liner notes to the 2017 CD reissue state that Diana worked through her vacation to do the lead solos and "the other girls" came in later to add their backgrounds and then the Andantes were added to the mix. The liner notes were written by Joe Marchese and the recordings produced by Andy and George. Had this not been true, I imagine Andy and George would have intervened to correct the record. Mary was dubbed into a "duet" on the Christmas Song, which is my singular favorite Mary vocal of them all, so clearly sang for the sessions. Not sure why this is still a debate.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    The liner notes to the 2017 CD reissue state that Diana worked through her vacation to do the lead solos and "the other girls" came in later to add their backgrounds and then the Andantes were added to the mix. The liner notes were written by Joe Marchese and the recordings produced by Andy and George. Had this not been true, I imagine Andy and George would have intervened to correct the record. Mary was dubbed into a "duet" on the Christmas Song, which is my singular favorite Mary vocal of them all, so clearly sang for the sessions. Not sure why this is still a debate.
    thanxal, please refrain from making reasoned, rational, and evidence-based posts within the forum, it's highly disrespectful to our ethos.
    Thank you.


  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    The liner notes to the 2017 CD reissue state that Diana worked through her vacation to do the lead solos and "the other girls" came in later to add their backgrounds and then the Andantes were added to the mix. The liner notes were written by Joe Marchese and the recordings produced by Andy and George. Had this not been true, I imagine Andy and George would have intervened to correct the record. Mary was dubbed into a "duet" on the Christmas Song, which is my singular favorite Mary vocal of them all, so clearly sang for the sessions. Not sure why this is still a debate.
    It has not been up to debate with me either since Christmas 1965. Even as a Kindergartener, I never questioned who was singing on Supremes records! LOL!!!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    thanxal, please refrain from making reasoned, rational, and evidence-based posts within the forum, it's highly disrespectful to our ethos.
    Thank you.

    Oh jeez, here we go again. How many Hail Mary Wilsons in penance must I say?

  18. #18
    And if anyone really thinks Mary deserves a kick in the pants, you can say “and who the hell even cares when you can‘t pick any particular singer in the background - they could have the Chipmunks on there

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And if anyone really thinks Mary deserves a kick in the pants, you can say “and who the hell even cares when you can‘t pick any particular singer in the background - they could have the Chipmunks on there
    Go home.......you're drunk!

  20. #20
    At least I’m not a mean drunk!

    And you are many things but most of all mean!

    Should we ask the guys? And Roberta?

  21. #21
    Umm yes, this is definitely one for the DRATS Forum.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Mary has also said she and Diana recorded "Someday We'll Be Together" in 1970. So.....
    Mary also said she coined the phrase “no-hit Supremes”. Mary says a lot of things - many of which are not accurate.

  23. #23
    hmmmm
    Actually Mary doesn't say that the three of them enjoyed recording the album (or specifically that the three of them are on it),
    she says the three of them enjoyed posing for the cover and enjoyed singing these songs, which might refer to their live performances of them.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-29-2019 at 01:25 PM.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Convincing folks that claim to be "Supremes fans". but hate the fact that The Supremes are on their own records is crazy and a waste of time to begin with. I've always known they were on the "Merry Christmas" album. I'll take the word of someone that was actually there at the time over anyone else!

    Convincing folks that claim to be "Supremes fans". but hate the fact that Diana Ross was the only member to go on to be a global superstar is crazy and a waste of time to begin with. Ive always known that fact but them im not bitter and ive not been kicked out of one of her concerts.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Go home.......you're drunk!
    Its real sad that you spent your Thanksgiving insulting people on a Motown forum. Download a dating app. Nah.....scratch that your better on your own. No man or woman deserves to be stuck with the likes of you.

  26. #26
    I seem to recall that a certain segment of Supremes fans here hated this album. Now they like it? When did things change?

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    hmmmm
    Actually Mary doesn't say that the three of them enjoyed recording the album (or specifically that the three of them are on it),
    she says the three of them enjoyed posing for the cover and enjoyed singing these songs, which might refer to their live performances of them.
    Courtesy of Thanxal directly above:

    The liner notes to the 2017 CD reissue state that Diana worked through her vacation to do the lead solos and "the other girls" came in later to add their backgrounds and then the Andantes were added to the mix. The liner notes were written by Joe Marchese and the recordings produced by Andy and George.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I seem to recall that a certain segment of Supremes fans here hated this album. Now they like it? When did things change?
    I am seem to recall a certain segment of "Diana Ross fans that hate everyone but her" loving it! Will they now burn and break their copies of "Merry Christmas The Supremes" from 1965?

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    hmmmm
    Actually Mary doesn't say that the three of them enjoyed recording the album (or specifically that the three of them are on it),
    she says the three of them enjoyed posing for the cover and enjoyed singing these songs, which might refer to their live performances of them.
    Sorry, the liner notes clearly indicate Mary and Flo are on it, with additional backgrounds by the Andantes. So no one is completely correct (that its the Supremes with no Andantes or only Diana and the Andantes). Unless Andy or George says otherwise, "Merry Christmas" is Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, and Florence Ballard with additional background by the Andantes.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am seem to recall a certain segment of "Diana Ross fans that hate everyone but her" loving it! Will they now burn and break their copies of "Merry Christmas The Supremes" from 1965?
    Yeah Marv, but given your professed hatred of Diana Ross, you really have no standing to ask such a question.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Yeah Marv, but given your professed hatred of Diana Ross, you really have no standing to ask such a question.
    I can't stand Diana Ross! But I never lie on her.......

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Courtesy of Thanxal directly above:

    The liner notes to the 2017 CD reissue state that Diana worked through her vacation to do the lead solos and "the other girls" came in later to add their backgrounds and then the Andantes were added to the mix. The liner notes were written by Joe Marchese and the recordings produced by Andy and George.
    You are such a hypocrite. Now you believe these liner notes! Lol. How convenient. But you refuse to believe the liner notes to the 50th singles collection that states the released version of Stop in the name of love is the Andantes! Lol.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    You are such a hypocrite. Now you believe these liner notes! Lol. How convenient. But you refuse to believe the liner notes to the 50th singles collection that states the released version of Stop in the name of love is the Andantes! Lol.
    It says "with the Andantes". It does not state clearly whether or not Mary and Florence are on Stop!. In the "More Hits By the Supremes" EE liner notes, George wrote "The Classic Grammy-nominated version of 'Stop! in the Name of Love' was actually a re-recording that changed some lyrics, took away the handclaps, and added the Andantes. Again, unless clarified by Andy or George, "Stop!" is Diana, Mary, and Florence with The Andantes. Of course, history can change itself and I was none too happy to learn Motown sweetened the backgrounds, but that's what it is. I don't have direct access to the vaults to read/listen myself, but I implicitly trust Andy and George on these things since fans, well...

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    It says "with the Andantes". It does not state clearly whether or not Mary and Florence are on Stop!. In the "More Hits By the Supremes" EE liner notes, George wrote "The Classic Grammy-nominated version of 'Stop! in the Name of Love' was actually a re-recording that changed some lyrics, took away the handclaps, and added the Andantes. Again, unless clarified by Andy or George, "Stop!" is Diana, Mary, and Florence with The Andantes. Of course, history can change itself and I was none too happy to learn Motown sweetened the backgrounds, but that's what it is. I don't have direct access to the vaults to read/listen myself, but I implicitly trust Andy and George on these things since fans, well...
    I am not talking about the liner notes to “More Hits”. I am talking about the liner notes in the 50th singles collection. I am sorry but I also heard Andy say it himself on Nightflight. That the single released 45 version was the Andantes! It’s even has been said by Andy in the archives of this forum. And like you I trust what I heard and read from Andy.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I am not talking about the liner notes to “More Hits”. I am talking about the liner notes in the 50th singles collection. I am sorry but I also heard Andy say it himself on Nightflight. That the single released 45 version was the Andantes! It’s even has been said by Andy in the archives of this forum. And like you I trust what I heard and read from Andy.
    I also remember them sayin that Florence and Mary were on all the other versions of Stop in the name of love. Just not on the single 45 release.

  36. #36
    George Solomon
    George Solomon is offline Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    236

    "I'm going to jump in for a minute. (And hope I don't regret it) The fact is Mary and Flo sang the first version of "Stop" with no augmentation. The second (released) version features Mary, Florence and the Andantes. Some parts they're all singing together. Some parts it's just Mary and Flo and some parts it's just Andantes. If you listen carefully you can break it down."

    We have to do this at least every two months for the benefit of those Supremes fans that cannot stand the fact that they Supremes are on their own recordings......Trying hard to prove that the Supremes did not sing their own songs on their own records. Amazing!

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    George Solomon
    George Solomon is offline Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    236

    "I'm going to jump in for a minute. (And hope I don't regret it) The fact is Mary and Flo sang the first version of "Stop" with no augmentation. The second (released) version features Mary, Florence and the Andantes. Some parts they're all singing together. Some parts it's just Mary and Flo and some parts it's just Andantes. If you listen carefully you can break it down."

    We have to do this at least every two months for the benefit of those Supremes fans that cannot stand the fact that they Supremes are on their own recordings......Trying hard to prove that the Supremes did not sing their own songs on their own records. Amazing!
    I’ve seen this Marv. Maybe this is true but it still doesn’t change the fact of what was said by Andy on Nightflight!

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I’ve seen this Marv. Maybe this is true but it still doesn’t change the fact of what was said by Andy on Nightflight!
    I recorded that somewhere and will dig and listen. I recall (vaguely) that Andy insinuated that "some fans" wouldn't like that he was going to say, which is that it was Diana, Mary and Florence with the Andantes, not the Andantes replacing Mary and Flo.
    Edit: I don't know "which fans" he insinuated wouldn't like what.
    Last edited by thanxal; 11-29-2019 at 03:42 PM.

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    George Solomon
    George Solomon is offline Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    236

    "I'm going to jump in for a minute. (And hope I don't regret it) The fact is Mary and Flo sang the first version of "Stop" with no augmentation. The second (released) version features Mary, Florence and the Andantes. Some parts they're all singing together. Some parts it's just Mary and Flo and some parts it's just Andantes. If you listen carefully you can break it down."

    We have to do this at least every two months for the benefit of those Supremes fans that cannot stand the fact that they Supremes are on their own recordings......Trying hard to prove that the Supremes did not sing their own songs on their own records. Amazing!
    Yeah, but you denied that the Andantes were on background on various threads, so what's your point?

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Yeah, but you denied that the Andantes were on background on various threads, so what's your point?
    I may have been wrong about that. I know that they were NOT on the majority of the Supremes number one hits. The point is, somebody needs to explain to me why is it that a few of the guys that regularly post in this sub-forum are desperate to believe that The Supremes were replaced on their records by the Andantes. If no one can do that, it will not change a thing anyway because I know better!

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I recorded that somewhere and will dig and listen. I recall (vaguely) that Andy insinuated that "some fans" wouldn't like that he was going to say, which is that it was Diana, Mary and Florence with the Andantes, not the Andantes replacing Mary and Flo.
    Edit: I don't know "which fans" he insinuated wouldn't like what.
    Thank you Thanxal. I would love to hear it again. Maybe I didn’t hear it right. It makes no difference to me. Because I love the song with whoever is doing the backgrounds. I just could have sworn that what I heard was that the released 45 were the Andantes. And that Mary and Flo were on all the other versions. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m just going by memory and also remember Andy giving examples on this forum of what Mary and Flo sounded like compared to the Andantes. And that he stated the released 45 version was the Andantes.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I may have been wrong about that. I know that they were NOT on the majority of the Supremes number one hits. The point is, somebody needs to explain to me why is it that a few of the guys that regularly post in this sub-forum are desperate to believe that The Supremes were replaced on their records by the Andantes. If no one can do that, it will not change a thing anyway because I know better!
    Marv, it is very generous (and honest) of you to admit you may have been wrong on that. I mean that in all sincerity and with no snark. I have been wrong in the past based on bad information. It is quite possible that the fights around here get people into such bad camps that they don't want to admit this or that. In the end, I really couldn't give a flying F**K about the bitchy-ness on this forum. I want to hear the music. it is true that I don't like that I was lied to about who was on certain records, I don't always approve of the behavior of my favorite artists, but in the end they gave me music I love. This place should be a repository of information on Motown, the Tempts, Four Tops, Vandellas, Supremes, Diana Ross, Jean Terrell, etc. and not a prime exhibit on bad fan behavior.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Thank you Thanxal. I would love to hear it again. Maybe I didn’t hear it right. It makes no difference to me. Because I love the song with whoever is doing the backgrounds. I just could have sworn that what I heard was that the released 45 were the Andantes. And that Mary and Flo were on all the other versions. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m just going by memory and also remember Andy giving examples on this forum of what Mary and Flo sounded like compared to the Andantes. And that he stated the released 45 version was the Andantes.
    I can't remember 100% and it is quite possible you are correct. There have been 2,467 threads on this so I can't remember who said what and when. I will go to my sound archives and see if Andy's interview is there. I remember recording it that night, since I knew he would say interesting stuff.

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Thank you Thanxal. I would love to hear it again. Maybe I didn’t hear it right. It makes no difference to me. Because I love the song with whoever is doing the backgrounds. I just could have sworn that what I heard was that the released 45 were the Andantes. And that Mary and Flo were on all the other versions. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m just going by memory and also remember Andy giving examples on this forum of what Mary and Flo sounded like compared to the Andantes. And that he stated the released 45 version was the Andantes.
    Mary and Flo are on the 45 version lol

    The Andantes add background harmonies. Those "ahhhhs" that appear when Diana hits the bridge before the "think it overs" come in are the Andantes. THAT'S what they contributed. It's still Diana, Mary & Florence. The Andantes are just a vocal FOOTNOTE on "Stop!".

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Mary and Flo are on the 45 version lol

    The Andantes add background harmonies. Those "ahhhhs" that appear when Diana hits the bridge before the "think it overs" come in are the Andantes. THAT'S what they contributed. It's still Diana, Mary & Florence. The Andantes are just a vocal FOOTNOTE on "Stop!".
    I’m not denying it. I’m just stating what was said. I don’t personally have a copy of the 45 released version. But I do have the singles collection and will listen to it when I have a chance and compare. Thank you.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can't stand Diana Ross! But I never lie on her.......
    Best joke of the year. LMAO Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Sorry, the liner notes clearly indicate Mary and Flo are on it, with additional backgrounds by the Andantes. So no one is completely correct (that its the Supremes with no Andantes or only Diana and the Andantes). Unless Andy or George says otherwise, "Merry Christmas" is Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, and Florence Ballard with additional background by the Andantes.
    to be clear, I'm not saying Flo and Mary are not on the album . From listening to a couple of cuts on youtube, I am of the opinion that what I hear is the two of them (and not the Andantes lol!).

    What I am saying is that Mary's comments could be cleverly couched to induce a false conclusion. She doe not say, "That's me and Flo singing on the Christmas album," as the title to this thread suggests.


    Has Mary ever addressed this directly?

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    to be clear, I'm not saying Flo and Mary are not on the album . From listening to a couple of cuts on youtube, I am of the opinion that what I hear is the two of them (and not the Andantes lol!).

    What I am saying is that Mary's comments could be cleverly couched to induce a false conclusion. She doe not say, "That's me and Flo singing on the Christmas album," as the title to this thread suggests.


    Has Mary ever addressed this directly?
    I personally trust Andy and George, so I do see your point. Speaking only for myself, I love the album, controversies aside. It plays in rotation with Bing, Ella, Brenda, Burl, Andy, Mitch, Frank, Dean and others I can't think of at the moment. It is part of the holiday mood, regardless of arguments here.
    Last edited by thanxal; 11-29-2019 at 06:48 PM.

  49. #49
    Oh what fun it is to play "Is Mary on that song, hey!" Jingle bells, jingle bells

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Mary and Flo are on the 45 version lol

    The Andantes add background harmonies. Those "ahhhhs" that appear when Diana hits the bridge before the "think it overs" come in are the Andantes. THAT'S what they contributed. It's still Diana, Mary & Florence. The Andantes are just a vocal FOOTNOTE on "Stop!".
    The Andantes were used only for "augmentation". Augmentation means -the action or process of making or becoming greater in size or amount.

    The producers decided that they wanted more voices on the recorded to create a bigger sound.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.